128 kids suspended in Hammond

southsider2k5

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
You are in school to get one thing, an education. You are not there to make buddies with the teachers. You are instructed in math, science, social science and arts to help round you out and prepare you for college or the work force. Teachers are authority figures, not your buddy. It isnt a one on one relationship with your teacher, its a one to many relationship.

And the comment about being told that you can eat or drink just like a dog. At work most people have a set time that you can have lunch. At some places you have a set place to eat said lunch. The rules you learn in high school are in preparation for the rules you have in the workforce.

It's also to grow socially. To develop relationships, etc.

I'm not referring to making the girls wear plaid knee length skirts and blouses and the dudes wear suits. There is a reasonable medium. Uniforms could certainly cut down on first impression prejudices and help kids respect themselves more.

Every other Hammond school went with a "color code", which I guess is not so much a uniform, but curbs "expression" from the kids. The Principal at this school decided to stay with the normal dress code, but enforce it more strictly. These kids were warned and tried to push the limits - they lost. They could lose further if the administration decides to go with a color code or flat out dress code. All they are asked of is a little respect - for their fellow students, teachers, and themselves. Is it really that bad to not be able to wear baggy pants and tank tops for 8 hours, 5 days a week?

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
but you're missing the point. the students learned more in that class, because they had respect and admiration for the teacher, than in any other class they took. it's not a coincedence why.

And how many workplaces would suspend the dress code to gain the "respect and admiration" of its employees? Employers don't care about being liked for the most part. They care about getting the work done, and anything that would take away from that is detremental to productivity. If some girl wants to show up for work showing cleavage, or a guy thinks that showing off his Joe Boxers is cool, the boss isn't really going to have patience for it, especially if it attracts the attention of other employees. You can bet those employees are going to have a minimal amount of chances to conform or find somewhere else to work. The work place could give a crap about respect and admiration. There is no reason for kids to have to learn how to dress decently by getting fired, when they should learn it at the elementary schol level. There is appropriate dress for every envoirnment you are in. Going to school with your chest, your belly, or or ass sticking out is not conducive to working or schooling.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
Yes, wearing a uniform will prepare them for their job at McD's Fedex and Coldstone.

Which if kids can follow a simple dress code, they had better get familiar with...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
I'm curious as to how it was deemed what was "too baggy" and what was "appropriate."

:wub:

I'm kind of curious about that too. There's a very fine line between "baggy" and "loose-fitting". My jeans are a little baggy around my thighs but I still keep the waistline up where it's supposed to be. I once saw a guy denied entrance to a bar because it was wearing "baggy" jeans according to the bouncer. They looked like the same pair I was wearing.

As far back as I can remember my school district has had the same basic dress code. No sleeveless shirts, no offensive language/graphics, shirts must cover your stomach and shorts/skirts must go to mid-thigh. From what I remember, nobody had a big problem with it. Every once in a while somebody had to turn their shirt inside-out for offensive language/graphics but not too often. I don't see the big deal here...

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
I am all for uniforms as it cuts down on worrying more about looking better than the next student as well as costs for the parent.

Ugh. I spend enough money on my kids for school including clothes, supplies, books, activity fees, etc... The last thing I need is to spend MORE money on clothes that they'll only wear one place a few hours a day. Then they'll come home and change into their regular clothes causing even more laundry.

We get a lot of their clothes of clearance racks so it's never a problem looking as good as everyone else or wearing the same namebrands. As long as it's clean and hole-free, we're happy.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Ugh. I spend enough money on my kids for school including clothes, supplies, books, activity fees, etc... The last thing I need is to spend MORE money on clothes that they'll only wear one place a few hours a day. Then they'll come home and change into their regular clothes causing even more laundry.

We get a lot of their clothes of clearance racks so it's never a problem looking as good as everyone else or wearing the same namebrands. As long as it's clean and hole-free, we're happy.

Uniforms are cheaper.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
Uniforms are cheaper.

When you can buy t-shirts for a buck and jeans for $2 at TJMaxx, I'd say that's debatable. My sister gets clearance clothes for the kids at WalMart and they just had shorts on clearance for $0.50. That's a hard price to beat.

My cousin has to buy 4 uniforms and shoes for her 3 kids EVERY year which is at the least a couple hundred per kid per schoolyear.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
When you can buy t-shirts for a buck and jeans for $2 at TJMaxx, I'd say that's debatable. My sister gets clearance clothes for the kids at WalMart and they just had shorts on clearance for $0.50. That's a hard price to beat.

My cousin has to buy 4 uniforms and shoes for her 3 kids EVERY year which is at the least a couple hundred per kid per schoolyear.

Since the topic at hand deals with high school students, I still say uniforms are cheaper.

You're describing two extremes, so I'll give my example:

I shop at tjmaxx, marshalls, etc. with my younger brother in high school too and we never see shirts at a dollar or jeans for 2. Clothes for teenagers are pricey, even when shopping for sale and clearance prices. My brother isn't the type who wants the most expensive clothes or fads, but buying quality clothes for him to look presentable still isn't cheap. He needs far less of these clothes since his school requires a uniform. For school, he alternates between a few polos and khakis, the polos being from last year, and last year's shoes are still holding up, for now. The khakis were cheaper than any pair of jeans he has. (dockers hit the clearance racks; levis never do.)

When wearing uniforms, there are no worries about keeping up with current fads or the latest expensive gym shoes. No designer jeans for alternating daily needed. You can get away with washing your shirt and wearing it more than once in a week. Brands don't matter since all the uniforms looks the same.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Since the topic at hand deals with high school students, I still say uniforms are cheaper.

I shop at tjmaxx, marshalls, etc. with my younger brother in high school too and we never see shirts at a dollar or jeans for 2. Clothes for teenagers are pricey, even when shopping for sale and clearance prices. My brother isn't the type who wants the most expensive clothes or fads, but buying quality clothes for him to look presentable still isn't cheap. He needs far less of these clothes since his school requires a uniform. For school, he alternates between a few polos and khakis, the polos being from last year, and last year's shoes are still holding up, for now. The khakis were cheaper than any pair of jeans he has. (dockers hit the clearance racks; levis never do.)

When wearing uniforms, there are no worries about keeping up with current fads or the latest expensive gym shoes. No designer jeans for alternating daily needed. You can get away with washing your shirt and wearing it more than once in a week. Brands don't matter since all the uniforms looks the same.

I don't shop at those stores so I don't have any clue as to what teen clothes costs. My sister buys for a 5 year old and my cousin for 9, 11, and 12 year olds so that's all I know about.

I do think that unless you are in charge of ones checkbook then you really don't know what is or isn't the better value for them, so I'm done commenting on that specific point.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
I don't shop at those stores so I don't have any clue as to what teen clothes costs. My sister buys for a 5 year old and my cousin for 9, 11, and 12 year olds so that's all I know about.

I do think that unless you are in charge of ones checkbook then you really don't know what is or isn't the better value for them, so I'm done commenting on that specific point.

He can make a general point of interest based off his specific experience that the other person may not have known about. Thats the general atmosphere of most threads. As his point could and did pertain to a greater majority than the post it was directed to, and was not underriding their opinion, merely stating why he thinks there is an opposing viewpoint based on his own experience. The only person who has underrided anyones opinion in this thread has been you with "I do think that unless you are in charge of ones checkbook then you really don't know what is or isn't the better value for them, so I'm done commenting on that specific point."

I don't think there should be any "you need to be this high to ride this rollercoaster" threads in here, do you? Kind of discourages people from commenting their welcome opinions.

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
He can make a general point of interest based off his specific experience that the other person may not have known about. Thats the general atmosphere of most threads. As his point could and did pertain to a greater majority than the post it was directed to, and was not underriding their opinion, merely stating why he thinks there is an opposing viewpoint based on his own experience. The only person who has underrided anyones opinion in this thread has been you with "I do think that unless you are in charge of ones checkbook then you really don't know what is or isn't the better value for them, so I'm done commenting on that specific point."

I don't think there should be any "you need to be this high to ride this rollercoaster" threads in here, do you? Kind of discourages people from commenting their welcome opinions.

I sure didn't say what he could or couldn't do... I said what I am choosing to no longer do.

I wont be commenting on rollercoaster height analogies because I didn't do such a thing.

However, I do think you should refrain from pointing out s*** stirring unless you're pointing out your own actions as those were most definitely not mine.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)

Still the fact remains that you have to buy extra clothes that you're only going to wear about 6 or 7 hours a day. I have the same issue with my work clothes. If I were allowed to wear my "normal" clothes to work I could cut my wardrobe down quite a bit. But at least it's my choice to be at a job that requires a dress code and I get paid for it.

If we had to buy uniforms for our kids on top of the clothes they wear everyday, their closets would be overstuffed. Following a simple dress code is not that difficult.

This is an outrage. Flooding the work force with well dressed, English speaking, literate young people can only drive wages down. I for one appreciate the half-assed effort of today's education system that creates about 40% of graduates who can not fill out a job application and show up for interviews with their asses hanging out pants. It keeps my fat paychecks rolling in. I say yea to Ebonics classes and the right to free expression through ill-fitting clothing. Donate to the ACLU. It is better retirement security than a 401K.

Growing up (and now), we got most our "play" clothes at the thrift store. It was cheaper for my parents to have us in uniforms than "everyday" clothes (my brother and sister when to public grammar school from 5th/6th onward and had uniforms there as well). I think what helped it to be cheaper is that we knew families with older kids and managed to score hand-me-downs as well as my sister being able to wear what I had worn.

I never have and still do not understand the huff kids put up about wearing uniforms/following a dress code. Then again, I have never been one who likes drawing attention.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
Baggy pants and tank tops? Give me a break.

You aren't familiar with Hammond then.

This year at VHS the administration is cracking down majorly. My freshman year there we were one of the top 40 public schools in the nation and the quality of the school has gone way down hill, from the slashing to drug busts to smoke bombs and bomb threats. The administration is sick of it and this year has been unbearingly strict so far. Kind of sucks with it being my senior year and all, but oh well. Hopefully the school won't suck as much for the kids coming up through the school system.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
Baggy pants and tank tops? Give me a break.

^^^^^^^^^^ times 1000

Serious joke.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
You aren't familiar with Hammond then.

This year at VHS the administration is cracking down majorly. My freshman year there we were one of the top 40 public schools in the nation and the quality of the school has gone way down hill, from the slashing to drug busts to smoke bombs and bomb threats. The administration is sick of it and this year has been unbearingly strict so far. Kind of sucks with it being my senior year and all, but oh well. Hopefully the school won't suck as much for the kids coming up through the school system.

But I am. (went to BNI out there) How much you wanna bet, and from what I've seen, that 90% of those kids came from Chicago? (west side/ some parts of the deeeep southside all have moved out in Hammond, East Chicago Indiana, etc..) Just two-three years ago Hammond was actually pretty quiet. Now look at it. I know how it is ALOT. Ask where some of those kids were born and raised/just moved from. 8/10-9/10 times they'll say Chi-Town.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
This was exactly one of the points I made during my school board testimony. As much as we are educating kids, we are also giving them the tools that they need to succeed at whatever they are going to do after they leave our educational system. Things as simple as how you dress in a professional enviornment are important lessons to have learned when entering the workforce. And if you think the baggy pants thing is bad, the chair of the accounting department used to regulate his classroom like the workplace. You actually had to show up to class in professional accounting dress. If you were not on time, he locked the door at the second the bell rang. He made people quit activities and sports, not related to accounting on a regular basis. etc. His rational was that this is the way it was going to be in the real world, you might as well get used to it now.

The locked door thing is actually the policy at the junior high I'm at.

Students get 3 minute passing periods. When the bell rings, all the doors get shut and then staff "sweeps" the halls where they get the late students with passes and then let them into the room. Students get a detention for the first two tardies and then harsher punishments as it goes on.

The administration should have gone with in-school suspensions. I kinda fail to see how sending them home with no supervision, TV, video games etc. is a real punishment. With an in-school suspension, they get all their work and are supervised that they spend the day doing their homework.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 06:28 AM)
The locked door thing is actually the policy at the junior high I'm at.

Students get 3 minute passing periods. When the bell rings, all the doors get shut and then staff "sweeps" the halls where they get the late students with passes and then let them into the room. Students get a detention for the first two tardies and then harsher punishments as it goes on.

The administration should have gone with in-school suspensions. I kinda fail to see how sending them home with no supervision, TV, video games etc. is a real punishment. With an in-school suspension, they get all their work and are supervised that they spend the day doing their homework.

MCHS actually has the sweep policy as well. They just started it last year, along with the reduced number of tardy's. They also have it to where so many tardys equal an absence, and so many absenses equal an automatic failure of that grading period, although according to my wife, I don't believe she ever had a kid fail for attendance, who wasn't going to fail for grades anyway.