128 kids suspended in Hammond

southsider2k5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd bring this back with a Stanley Kubrick quote:

"I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker."

Can anyone disagree with that?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)

"I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker."

Yeah but it is a quote from somebody who isn't a teacher. Fear of doing things that are improper is a part of society (i.e. I'm not going to kill the dumb motherf***er who cut me off because I'd go to prison for a long time) and has a part in schools. Interest and making the material interesting does a great deal for classroom management but management via discipline tactics does have its definite and correct place in schools, especially in schools where the parents have not instilled the greatest values towards behavior either due to lack of involvement in their lives by choice or working to put a roof over their heads/food on the table etc.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
Yeah but it is a quote from somebody who isn't a teacher. Fear of doing things that are improper is a part of society (i.e. I'm not going to kill the dumb motherf***er who cut me off because I'd go to prison for a long time) and has a part in schools. Interest and making the material interesting does a great deal for classroom management but management via discipline tactics does have its definite and correct place in schools, especially in schools where the parents have not instilled the greatest values towards behavior either due to lack of involvement in their lives by choice or working to put a roof over their heads/food on the table etc.

I don't think at any one point did Kubrick say not to enforce discipline. You can have discipline while involving teaching tactics (and subjects) that include a great deal of interest.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)

How does a dress code relate to fear? Are you talking about getting in trouble for not dressing properly in school? I am not quite sure if I understand what you are talking about. Its not like kids are going to get beaten for not pulling up their pants.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
How does a dress code relate to fear? Are you talking about getting in trouble for not dressing properly in school? I am not quite sure if I understand what you are talking about. Its not like kids are going to get beaten for not pulling up their pants.

It doesn't. It relates to the other arguments that surfaced in this discussion.