Dye deserves 2006 AL MVP Award

Pants Rowland

I have watched most of the games this year and feel Jermaine Dye is the White Sox 2006 MVP. He plays a solid right field, hits for average and power, and is a genuine pleasure to have as a representative of the White Sox. His numbers are as follows:

Slugging %age of .649 - 1st

38 Home Runs - 3rd

OPS of 1.041 - 3rd

Batting Average of .326 - Tied for 6th

RBI total of 102 - Tied for 6th

OBP of .391 - 9th

83 runs - Tied for 12th

142 hits - Tied for 20th

47 Walks - Tied for 29th

I know there are deserving players every year that get lost in the Big Papi/Manny/A-Rod lovefest, but I think Jermaine's total are MVP-worthy. I look at some of the other players out there and think Jermaine might be the best choice ahead of Mauer, Jeter, Ortiz, Morneau, and Manny. Who do you think is more deserving than Dye and why?

IMO it's either Dye or Morneau with Ortiz a close third. I'm not drinking that Jeter kool-aid ESPN is trying to push on everyone. There are other players having much better MVP numbers than Jeter. I think whichever reaches the playoffs will swing the vote in their favor. I love JD, but Morneau has shouldered a bigger load for the Twins. The Sox offense has shared the production over 4 guys, Thome, Konerko, Dye, and Crede. Morneau is in the driver's seat right now, but since the Sox will go to the playoffs that leaves the Twins staying home. It's likely still Ortiz who gets the nod.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
Justin Morneau if the Twins make the playoffs, he has incredible numbers and is a big part of their success

morneau will not win it. he just wont. jeter would be chosen be4 him. if dye keeps it up, he has a great chance. they talk about him all the time on bbt

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
IMO it's either Dye or Morneau with Ortiz a close third. I'm not drinking that Jeter kool-aid ESPN is trying to push on everyone. There are other players having much better MVP numbers than Jeter. I think whichever reaches the playoffs will swing the vote in their favor. I love JD, but Morneau has shouldered a bigger load for the Twins. The Sox offense has shared the production over 4 guys, Thome, Konerko, Dye, and Crede. Morneau is in the driver's seat right now, but since the Sox will go to the playoffs that leaves the Twins staying home. It's likely still Ortiz who gets the nod.

I can live with Morneau or even Mauer getting the nod over JD but will vomit in the direction of Bristol, CT if a member of the Jeter/Manny/Ortiz triumverate gets the nod again this year. I also think if JD stays in the zone he has been for some time that he can make it an easier decision. He is really locked in right now and appears to be improving with every at-bat.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
morneau will not win it. he just wont. jeter would be chosen be4 him. if dye keeps it up, he has a great chance. they talk about him all the time on bbt

That would depend on the numbers down the stretch. If Morneau were to get hot and carry his team to the playoffs the way Vlad did 2 years ago, that might be enough of a sales-job to convince voters.

I would like to see the trend of giving the MVP to a position player be upheld. Which is more valuable--a guy who plays in the field or a guy who is a glorified pinch-hitter? It's really enough that David Ortiz gets to start the All-Star Game at a position he plays 15 times a season over a glut of talented guys who play it every day.

However, if you slice it that Ortiz has to shoulder a bigger load at the plate for Boston than Jermaine does for the White Sox, that does not take into account the runs JD saves with his glove. He's made some great catches although I'm befuddled how a plus-arm like his doesn't get a whole lot of guys out.

Be that as it may, I still wouldn't want Boston's lineup, that punk-ass Manny Ramirez, that media moth Curt Schilling, or that overblown Josh Beckett.

If JD doesn't win it, I'd be happy for Morneau if he did. And Jeter's putting up a great year. As long as Ortiz doesn't win it.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
Jeter has this thing locked up.

which really sucks when there are like 5 people I can think of off the top of my head who are more deserving

Dye

Thome

Ortiz

Morneau

Thomas

And if Jim Leyland pinch hit 1 time this year, he would be a better candiate that Jeter too

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)
which really sucks when there are like 5 people I can think of off the top of my head who are more deserving

Dye

Thome

Ortiz

Morneau

Thomas

And if Jim Leyland pinch hit 1 time this year, he would be a better candiate that Jeter too

Even though he's on a s*** team, I'd still put Hafner ahead of Jeter as well.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
Um, okay.

So why haven't the Sox ever had one?

Either your reading is deplorable, or you just misunderstood my quote. ;)

I'll elaborate. Give him two more years. He'll be the best catcher in the league, maybe even the best hitter. He's a dime a dosen. He is just like Pujols. These guys come around at their respected positions once-twice every decade.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)

I'll elaborate. Give him two more years. He'll be the best catcher in the league, maybe even the best hitter. He's a dime a dosen. He is just like Pujols. These guys come around at their respected positions once-twice every decade.

Ace, I think you're confused. :P

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)

The phrase "dime a dozen" is used to describe something that is common and does not have a lot of value.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)
I guess from how I was raised, it means something else. ;)

Well, alright then. :lol:

With the budget I'm on, you'll have to tell me where you were raised. Any place .8 cents per item is considered expensive is the place I'm shopping from now on. :D

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)

Dye

Thome

Ortiz

Morneau

Thomas

I would really love to see Thomas win it, even though there's such a small chance of that happening. Roids Giambi robbed Thomas of his last one, and I would really like to see him get another before he retires, although it's probably not gonna happen.

Funny how that got derailed for a bit there haha. Ace had me thoroughly confused there too, Mauer is far from a 'dime a dozen' guy :P

As for JD, I agree with Balta. If this team makes the playoffs, then yes JD gets my nod for sure as MVP, hes been the one constant in this lineup ALL year.

It just shows how much things have turned around for Jermaine Dye since May 2005. Back then, he was hitting below .200 IIRC, people here were calling him Jermaine "Dead", and the signing looked like a bust.

Now it looks like IMHO, the best deal KW's ever signed someone to. You'd be hardpressed to find a better deal than what he gave Dye, compared to what he'd get in the marketplace right now.