Dye deserves 2006 AL MVP Award

Pants Rowland

While getting to the playoffs shouldn't be a requirement, it does weigh in the voter's minds. With guys this close, and a strong argument could be made for all of them, guys who are watching the playoffs will not be given consideration over guys who are playing. So JD, pray for some pitching.

Its going to come down to Jeter, Morneua, and Dye. I think Jeter has had a tremendous year on a Yankee team that overachieved for most of the year while Dye/Morneau have both been stellar and whichever team makes the playoffs there guy will be the one whose the biggest competition to Jeter.

No, I don't give the MVP to a DH unless they are amazingly better than anyone. I also don't give the MVP to a guy that isn't in the playoffs unless there numbers are amazingly better than everyone elses. Ortiz finds himself in two of my categories (if the season were to end today) and that means I wouldn't even think about voting for him cause his numbers would need to be doubly impressive compared to anyone elses and I don't think they are.

Plus I think he's aided by hitting ahead of Manny.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:31 AM)
Like everyone has said It should be between Jeter and depending on who gets that playoff spot either us or the twins. Morneau and Dye both deserve it way more than Jeter but Jeter has had a very good year and being on the yankees might put it over the top.

What in the high holy hell are you saying? Jeter's numbers are proletariat by baseball standards. If he were in any other team than the Yankees, he probably would not even be their best player. I'd argue that since he arrived at the Yankees, Abrew has been more valuable. The real MVP battle is between Justin Morneau and Jermaine Dye. Morneau has had a better "clutch" year than Dye, but Jermaine has been more consistent throughout the season. This is a freaking joke that Jeter is even being considered for that award. Thank "Eastern Seaboard Programming Network" for that bit of pub. It really is a joke.

Ave HR RBI OBP OPS SLG

Justin Morneau .319 32 110 .372 .956 .585

Derek Jeter .337 12 81 .413 .893 .480

Jermaine Dye .324 39 106 .390 1.040 .651