Computer Gurus

LowerCaseRepublican

Hey gang, I need your help.

My computer's battery has been on the fritz lately holding a little charge to the point where it wouldn't even charge up when I docked it back in the AC power supply. I got a blue screen of death saying something about my battery but I don't remember exactly what it was.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600. I recently got a new battery. I put the battery in and the battery light is on acknowledging that it is there, but it does not blink to show it is charging.. The system will not charge it and it just says "Running on AC power" with a consistent 33% charge rather than charging it fully up to 100%. It's been in 12+ hrs. now and not a single budge.

Any ideas on how to get the batt to start receiving a charge? (Note: the AC adapter is still good as it is running the computer now)

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 06:06 AM)
Hey gang, I need your help.

My computer's battery has been on the fritz lately holding a little charge to the point where it wouldn't even charge up when I docked it back in the AC power supply. I got a blue screen of death saying something about my battery but I don't remember exactly what it was.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600. I recently got a new battery. I put the battery in and the battery light is on acknowledging that it is there, but it does not blink to show it is charging.. The system will not charge it and it just says "Running on AC power" with a consistent 33% charge rather than charging it fully up to 100%. It's been in 12+ hrs. now and not a single budge.

Any ideas on how to get the batt to start receiving a charge? (Note: the AC adapter is still good as it is running the computer now)

Sometimes on the Dells I have run into a problem with the power socket where the power pin is either broken or has become disconnected from the mother board. It has something similiar as far as wont be able to charge up the battery, but the battery shows active. I would give Dell a jingle and see if that is a problem with that particular model of Inspiron.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
Sometimes on the Dells I have run into a problem with the power socket where the power pin is either broken or has become disconnected from the mother board. It has something similiar as far as wont be able to charge up the battery, but the battery shows active. I would give Dell a jingle and see if that is a problem with that particular model of Inspiron.

i had similar prob with my toshiba. was shown that the way it was made i'd have to replace the motherboard, so i sold it for what i could and got a desktop...

when contacting dell, do your research first. my bro-in-law got a free replacement laptop (it was open-box merch., but never used. it was also better than the one he had cause they no longer made an w/ those specs.) even though it was after the warranty was up because he researched it and found out it was a problem with that model and there were a few lawsuits flying around because of it. plus it helps throwing a hissy fit if need be.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Dell... :chimp enjoy your call to India

When I was having a problem with my home network, a call to Linksys in India was the best group I worked with. Even after they knew it wasn't their product they continued to help. Screw Time Warner (Roadrunner) HP, and Microsoft. (It was a Microsoft update that was f***ing up HP computers.)