From here on in, it's a 32 Game Season

mumu

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no clue what our record will be down the stretch.

But I like Jermaine Dye in the #3 hole.

I like how Ozzie finally used Brandon McCarthy in long relief and it nearly paid off with an improbable win.

I like seeing Mark Buehrle shut down a team that had beaten us 5 in a row.

I like having survived our 24-game stretch from hell being within 1/2 game of the playoffs.

I like the fact we have only 3 more games with the Twins. I like the fact that Brad Radke got another cortisone shot and Liriano is still on the DL.

I like the fact that we still haven't played up to our potential.

I like the fact that we've got several players on our roster who really turn on the hitting in September, including Joe Crede and Juan Uribe.

I like the fact that Brian Anderson now has a clue at the plate and still plays great defense in the outfield.

And I like the fact that we have enough guys on this roster who have been through the pressure cooker and performed fabulously, so that once we find that spark, we are going to be unbeatable.

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!! 2006 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
Jenks alone would carry this team. :P

Surprisingly, he can't touch some of the others. Thankfully, he's cut waaaay back on the drinking. He's not so nice when he drinks. :ph34r:

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
I like the fact that we still haven't played up to our potential.

I understand what you're saying with this, in that there's still room for this team to go 31-1 and play like it should for the last month of the season, but I'm afraid I don't "like" that fact, solely because we haven't played up to our potential to this point, so there's now very little time left for us to actually do it.

Then again, one of my preseason predictions (man did I miss the pitching staff) was that Jim Thome would go down the stretch and be on fire, as a man-on-a-mission to finally get himself a ring. It'd sure be nice if that was the case.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
I understand what you're saying with this, in that there's still room for this team to go 31-1 and play like it should for the last month of the season, but I'm afraid I don't "like" that fact, solely because we haven't played up to our potential to this point, so there's now very little time left for us to actually do it.

Then again, one of my preseason predictions (man did I miss the pitching staff) was that Jim Thome would go down the stretch and be on fire, as a man-on-a-mission to finally get himself a ring. It'd sure be nice if that was the case.

If Thome is coming back to hit in the 3 hole, I'd rather take my chances with him on the DL and keeping Dye hitting 3rd. Thome coming back to the 3 spot will seal our fate. Don't get me wrong, I want him in the lineup, just not hitting 3rd.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
If Thome is coming back to hit in the 3 hole, I'd rather take my chances with him on the DL and keeping Dye hitting 3rd. Thome coming back to the 3 spot will seal our fate. Don't get me wrong, I want him in the lineup, just not hitting 3rd.

If...and this is a big If...Jim Thome could find his swing and health enough to hit one of those classic Jim Thome hot streaks where he's destroying everything in sight, I could take him in the 3 hole. Think April. When Big Jim is on fire, the more times he comes to the plate, the better, because no one can beat him.

Aside from that, yeah JD should be in the 3 hole.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
I understand what you're saying with this, in that there's still room for this team to go 31-1 and play like it should for the last month of the season

This team doesn't have the starters to go anywhere near 31-1, especially considering the talent they're facing next month. I could see 24-8 if they got really lucky.

But agreed that when healthy, Thome should be moved into the 5-hole and JD up to the 3-spot.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)

I brought this up to a group of people I know, and I was Lambasted. Perception was that Thome was somehow being looked down on. Hey, im not the biggest Thome fan out there, but I like a contact guy like Dye much better there. If Thome had been playing in those games, we wouldve been SWEPT. You can book that. Out of sheer luck (Thome injury), we were able to pull one out

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
Surprisingly, he can't touch some of the others.

I wouldn't doubt that some of them could out-drink most frat houses. I wouldn't know, but A.J. and Freddy both seem like they could both really put it away.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
This team doesn't have the starters to go anywhere near 31-1, especially considering the talent they're facing next month. I could see 24-8 if they got really lucky.

But agreed that when healthy, Thome should be moved into the 5-hole and JD up to the 3-spot.

You know, I think Thome would work best in the 4 hole personally. That way you keep his OBP in front of Konerko and Crede so that there's more likely to be a person on base when they destroy a ball. You could also have the nice looking, balanced lineup of "LRRLRRLRR" (on the 2 days per month when we actually play our opening day lineup) which would make it even more difficult for teams to use LOOGY's effectively to knock out anyone except Thome.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
I brought this up to a group of people I know, and I was Lambasted. Perception was that Thome was somehow being looked down on. Hey, im not the biggest Thome fan out there, but I like a contact guy like Dye much better there. If Thome had been playing in those games, we wouldve been SWEPT. You can book that. Out of sheer luck (Thome injury), we were able to pull one out

Wait a second, how would Thome playing on Sunday have made us get swept? The one game where it was most key that Dye was in the 3 hole was Saturday against Santana, and we lost that game in heartbreaking fashion anyway. Sunday we took care of business against Carlos Silva, and the whole lineup did it's job, including the bottom of the order.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Wait a second, how would Thome playing on Sunday have made us get swept? The one game where it was most key that Dye was in the 3 hole was Saturday against Santana, and we lost that game in heartbreaking fashion anyway. Sunday we took care of business against Carlos Silva, and the whole lineup did it's job, including the bottom of the order.

Good point .... We wouldve won despite Thome being in the #3 hole on Sunday I believe also, but game may have been much closer

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
Didn't Thome bat 4th or 5th for all of those great Indians teams?

Thome was also not the best hitter on those indians teams. Thome is the best and most feared hitter on this white sox team... dye's amazing season does not change my opinion and likely will not sway any others in the league. The offense has been fine outside of a couple stretches... which as we all know teams will run into at some point in the season. Dye's ops with runners on this season is 1.073 while thome's is 1.170... dye's ops with runners in scoring position is 1.183 while thome's 1.236. Thome has the slight edge in both and has been there all year... therefore making him more comfortable than being switched for no reason. When dye and thome are both in the line-up it doesn't matter who bats 3-4 because you would not gain or lose anything long term.

Also if dye only had two hits in his twenty at-bats with one lonely double this swap idea i keep seeing/hearing would never have been brought up. I have just come to accept that people love sample sizes and have short term memories.

Btw, if anyone should be moved it is clearly konerko and dye.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
You know, I think Thome would work best in the 4 hole personally. That way you keep his OBP in front of Konerko and Crede so that there's more likely to be a person on base when they destroy a ball. You could also have the nice looking, balanced lineup of "LRRLRRLRR" (on the 2 days per month when we actually play our opening day lineup) which would make it even more difficult for teams to use LOOGY's effectively to knock out anyone except Thome.

Good point. Of course, having a high-OBP guy infront of Paulie also increases Paulie's chance of grounding into one of his inning-ending double plays. But I think that the strategic benefit with regard to opposing pitchers would outweigh that.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Good point .... We wouldve won despite Thome being in the #3 hole on Sunday I believe also, but game may have been much closer

So gload's one single and steal was a deciding factor? Sox win 6-1 either way... idiotic to think other wise.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
Also if dye only had two hits in his twenty at-bats with one lonely double this swap idea i keep seeing/hearing would never have been brought up. I have just come to accept that people love sample sizes and have short term memories.

The performance of Dye, Iguchi, and Thome against lefties and righties is, at this point, no longer a sample size issue, but a fact of this season. Having Iguchi, Thome, and Podsednik all together weakens us tremendously against left handers, which is the biggest reason by far why I would like Dye in the 3 hole...it prevents a team from being able to bring in a guy like a Jamie Walker or a Dennys Reyes to pitch to 3 guys who are hitting .219, .233, and .247 against Lefties.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
The performance of Dye, Iguchi, and Thome against lefties and righties is, at this point, no longer a sample size issue, but a fact of this season. Having Iguchi, Thome, and Podsednik all together weakens us tremendously against left handers, which is the biggest reason by far why I would like Dye in the 3 hole...it prevents a team from being able to bring in a guy like a Jamie Walker or a Dennys Reyes to pitch to 3 guys who are hitting .219, .233, and .247 against Lefties.

Against lefties i have no problem changing the line-up around. When facing a right-hander the lineup should be as followed.

Podsednik.

Iguchi

Thome.

Dye.

Konerko

Crede.

Pierzynski.

Uribe.

Anderson.

This is the most logical going by what they have done verse right handers this season. I feel it is the managers job to put us in the best position to win... and he has not done it with the offense. We have two every day players not batting in the right place and a third in mackowiak when he comes off the bench.

Edited by qwerty

TB: 2-1

KC: 2-1

BOS: 1-2

CLE: 1-3

LAA: 1-2

OAK: 1-2

DET: 2-1

SEA: 3-1

CLE: 1-2

MIN: 1-2

15 - 17 record. Buehrle faces both Oakland and Boston if probables remain untouched. These can be considered automatic losses against teams who traditonally give us trouble. "Doom and gloom" nature of this post is merely based upon our subpar starting pitching and the strength of opponents faced down the stretch. Even Cleveland worries me. I don't believe they'll lay down for us. Last series in Minnesota, I'm willing to bet a sweep if Liriano returns to their rotation.

Now, how long until someone tells me to quit watching this season if I don't believe they'll make it to the playoffs?