CLE: 2-2

LAA: 2-1

8-8 so far. 5 teams and 16 games left.

OAK (3 Away)

DET (3 Home)

SEA (4 Home)

CLE (3 Away)

MIN (3 Away)

I think we'll need to do better than .500 during the homestand to make it, barring MIN or DET collapsing.

If we can get 7 of 10 from OAK, DET, and SEA, then I'd bet we'll be in a good place (hopefully at least 2/3 from DET). 6-4 might work, depending on how the other teams do.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we need to go 11-5 the rest of the way and have either the Twins go 9-7 or the Tigers go 8-8 for a one game playoff. It will be tough, be it can be done. That series vs Detroit is F'N HUGE!!!

To go 11-5 here is what i see happening the rest of the way:

2 of 3 @ Oakland (2-1)

2 of 3 vs Detroit (4-2) call me crazy but we own Detroit this year.

3 of 4 vs Seattle (7-3)

2 of 3 @ Cleveland (9-4)

2 of 3 @ Minny (11-5)

Yep we MUST win every series to get in the playoffs. No ifs ands or buts about it! Every game is a MUST win, ESSPECIALLY the 1st game of every series.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
we need to go 11-5 the rest of the way and have either the Twins go 9-7 or the Tigers go 8-8 for a one game playoff. It will be tough, be it can be done. That series vs Detroit is F'N HUGE!!!

To go 11-5 here is what i see happening the rest of the way:

2 of 3 @ Oakland (2-1)

2 of 3 vs Detroit (4-2) call me crazy but we own Detroit this year.

3 of 4 vs Seattle (7-3)

2 of 3 @ Cleveland (9-4)

2 of 3 @ Minny (11-5)

Yep we MUST win every series to get in the playoffs. No ifs ands or buts about it! Every game is a MUST win, ESSPECIALLY the 1st game of every series.

We have to go 11-5 while HOPING that the Twins go 9-7 and/or Tiggers go 8-8 ? Thats a lot of stuff to happen (mind you-thats not in the SOX control anymore). More likely, the Twinks will have a better record than that down the stretch, theyre riding on "fumes" so to speak....... and the SOX will simply have to go on a 11-2 run (BEFORE 9/29 series) to assure themselves a spot in October. This team cant win 3 in a row ...........

Dang, I would love to have that Sunday 7/2 Cub game back. Or that Vazquez tiger implosion game in July. Or that blown 7 run lead to KC 4/7. Or that KC game just a couple weeks ago we gave away ....

Shoot. Im looking at the rotation right now for the weekend. Garland vs. Loiaza. Will be tough on the road, but we should squeak it out. Saturday vs. Zito. were probably losing this game. Contreras vs Blanton. Pick 'em. Needless to say, WE NEED TO SWEEP. if we "only" take 2 of 3, were probably STILL going to lose ground to either Tiggers or Twinks. I can see the Orioles only taking 1 game this weekend

i said we MUST go 11-5 at minimum. it might in fact take more than that to reach the playoffs. That being said EVERY game is a must win game. Thats the possition their in right now. We cant RELY on the Tigers or Twins melting down. Its time to sinch it up and strap it down. Play like champions!! Its going to be a wild ride 'till the finish line!

And by the way GO ROYALS!!!!

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
We have to go 11-5 while HOPING that the Twins go 9-7 and/or Tiggers go 8-8 ? Thats a lot of stuff to happen (mind you-thats not in the SOX control anymore). More likely, the Twinks will have a better record than that down the stretch, theyre riding on "fumes" so to speak....... and the SOX will simply have to go on a 11-2 run (BEFORE 9/29 series) to assure themselves a spot in October. This team cant win 3 in a row ...........

Dang, I would love to have that Sunday 7/2 Cub game back. Or that Vazquez tiger implosion game in July. Or that blown 7 run lead to KC 4/7. Or that KC game just a couple weeks ago we gave away ....

No, we still control our own destiny.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
Tigers are something like 12-23 in their last 35. Why are people assuming they will even go 8-8?

KC has been really good recently as well and are no pushover.

Yea, in different words, that's what I was saying earlier in the thread. You never know, the Tigers, and possibly the Twins, might play well under 500 ball the rest of the way. We can hope anyway, hope that the Tigers continue to slide, and the Twins begin to slide. It's certainly not set in stone, that we MUST go 11-2 over the next 13 to get into the playoffs, that's not true.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
Tigers are something like 12-23 in their last 35. Why are people assuming they will even go 8-8?

KC has been really good recently as well and are no pushover.

Tonites starter for the Orioles, Hayden Penn, vs the Tigers, has something like a 36.00 ERA, 3 2/3 innings, 17 hits, 15 earned runs.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Tonites starter for the Orioles, Hayden Penn, vs the Tigers, has something like a 36.00 ERA, 3 2/3 innings, 17 hits, 15 earned runs.

If he was pitching against us, he'd probaby throw 5 shutout innings. Seems that always happens when we get hit with a young guy.

Yea, I'm sick of hearing Hawk and DJ saying how some unkown pitcher with an era of 8 is "really putting on a clinic out there." Is it me, or does it seem like every rookie pitcher, that gets beat up by everyone else, all of a sudden becomes Johan Santana when the Sox face him? At some point I have to wonder, is it good pitching, or piss-poor hitting?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
If he was pitching against us, he'd probaby throw 5 shutout innings. Seems that always happens when we get hit with a young guy.

From ESPN Baseball Tonite Telecast: "...an in the AL Central Playoff race, Orioles Rookie Hayden Penn, who entered the game with a 36.00 ERA, scatters 3 hits over 7 innings, shutting out the SOX. He finished with 6 strikeouts, including Jim Thome 4 times and Scott Podsednik twice ......"