Roy Oswalt Signs Extension

redandwhite

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
A Press Conference has been set.

Astro fans are convinced its for 5 years and 73 million dollars.

Wow.

Thats crazy, if true. He's a fantastic pitcher, with a small frame and a lot of innings on his arm. Doesn't seem very Houston.

QUOTE(shakes @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
Thats crazy, if true. He's a fantastic pitcher, with a small frame and a lot of innings on his arm. Doesn't seem very Houston.

IMO, Trade.Bait. And I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem paying some of that salary if they get some stud spects in return. I would not mind seeing the Cubs getting him for Pie + other spects, and with their luck, he'll be injury prone and Pie turns into a monster.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
IMO, Trade.Bait. And I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem paying some of that salary if they get some stud spects in return. I would not mind seeing the Cubs getting him for Pie + other spects, and with their luck, he'll be injury prone and Pie turns into a monster.

I thought the same thing at first, but I can't imagine that type of a contract without some sort of a no trade clause.

Rotoworld:

Astros signed RHP Roy Oswalt to a five-year, $73 million contract extension through 2011 with a mutual option for 2012.

A whopper. Oswalt had one more year of arbtration remaining after making $11 million this year. He's now due to receive $13 million in each of the next two years, $14 million in 2009, $15 million in 2010 and $16 million in 2011. The amount of the option wasn't disclosed, but there's a $2 million buyout. He also gets a full no-trade clause. Assuming that Oswalt would have made about $13 million next year anyway, what the Astros are really doing is buying four free agency years for $60 million. It's a fair price given his talent, though committing to any pitcher for such a length of time is a big risk. Oswalt's strikeout rate has steadily dipped, his batting-average against has increased and he has had oblique issues. A decline over the next few years is a real possibility.

Full no-trade

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 06:24 AM)
That's a lot of money to shell out for a pitcher, even a good one like Oswalt. This could set the market for the next few years, which is bad news for owners. Roy is better than most of the pitchers that will hit the market though.

He had three 20 game winning seasons in a row right? Not 2 mention he has some of the filthiest stuff out there. I dont think it will affect the market 2 much since he would have been so much better than any other SP in f/a anyways.

I thought AJ Burnett would set the market but now its Oswalt. Granted, most aren't as good as him but I bet you Boras now starts Zito negotiations even higher than this. Great pitcher and worth it for the first few years but it could look like the Kevin Brown deal by years 4 and 5 because you just never know

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 02:25 AM)
He had three 20 game winning seasons in a row right? Not 2 mention he has some of the filthiest stuff out there. I dont think it will affect the market 2 much since he would have been so much better than any other SP in f/a anyways.

Yeah, but I still expect numerous other upcoming FA starters with a solid resume will push for something similar (either for extension or FA), ie Zambrano, Zito, Buehrle, and Schmidt.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
Rotoworld:

Full no-trade

That's a hell of a contract for a small-framed guy who throws hard. He's going to have a major arm injury at some point. But Houston pretty much had to stick with him, as Clemens is almost certainly gone next season and Pettitte is getting into his mid-30s.

That's quite an amount of money for a guy who has shown to be reliable the last couple of seasons. But if I were the Astros I would try to save some money for a good impact hitter. A Carlos Lee playing in LF would not be bad. That would put Berkman in RF or 1B.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
That's quite an amount of money for a guy who has shown to be reliable the last couple of seasons. But if I were the Astros I would try to save some money for a good impact hitter. A Carlos Lee playing in LF would not be bad. That would put Berkman in RF or 1B.

The Astros have Clemens's $12 million and Bagwell's $18 million coming off the books this offseason, together with a couple million leaving with Aubrey Huff (who is making >$6 million but wasn't there the whole year). And that's only about a $3 million raise over the $11 million Oswalt is making this year.

So that's about $36 million freed up, with about $3 million extra committed to Oswalt. They have money for 2 bats if they want to spend it.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
Yeah, but I still expect numerous other upcoming FA starters with a solid resume will push for something similar (either for extension or FA), ie Zambrano, Zito, Buehrle, and Schmidt.

Zambrano yes but not 2 sure about the other 3. Buehrle's stuff just isnt up to par and stuff alone gets you paid a lot. Schmidt is older and has been hurt for a couple seasons now so he wont get Oswalt money or anything similar to it. Zito has a shot if he signs with a team like the Mets but I still think it will be a good amount less than Oswalt got.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Zito will get a lot more dough than Oswalt. His agent is Boras and the Yankees and Red Sox are going for him.

I will gaurantee right now that Zito will not get more than 5 years $75M, Oswalt got a ridiculous amount of money and years, I can't see him getting anymore than that even if the Yakees and Red Sox are bidding for him.

I will gaurantee right now that Zito will not get more than 5 years $75M, Oswalt got a ridiculous amount of money and years, I can't see him getting anymore than that even if the Yakees and Red Sox are bidding for him.

I think he might get 4-80, since he is in the cream of the crop, and Boras is his agent

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
I think he might get 4-80, since he is in the cream of the crop, and Boras is his agent

$20 mill a year for a pitcher who has NEVER had a WHIP below 1.10? A career ERA of 3.51?

Pedro Martinez got $13 mill a year over 4 years...no way in hell Zito gets $7 mill more than that. $20 mill is set aside for the best players in the game, period.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)

Zito has been less consistent and less dominant than Oswalt in recent years. Agreed that he'll get less money.