High Speed Internet

spiderman

I live in Orland Park, and need to get High Speed Internet.

Comcast is usually the default choice, but I hear people mention other companies that work just as well, and are cheaper.

Do you guys use a different service ? Anyone companies you want to recommend is much appreciated!

Thanks!

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
I live in Orland Park, and need to get High Speed Internet.

Comcast is usually the default choice, but I hear people mention other companies that work just as well, and are cheaper.

Do you guys use a different service ? Anyone companies you want to recommend is much appreciated!

Thanks!

In Orland you have SBC Yahoo DSL, Comcast, and maybe some wireless broadband providers you would have to google. http://www.onelasvegas.com/wireless/IL.html is a list of wireless broadband providers in the Illinois area.

Remember the option though. You have DSL which is cheaper than cable. You have broadband wireless, which requires you to have an antennae on your house that most likely points to a nearby watertower for access. This is being rolled out like mad in Lake and McHenry County. You can get good speeds, but prices are similiar to cable for the most part. You can get something like Verizon Broadband Wireless that will allow you to take it with you, but it has dead zones depending on where you go that drop the speed down quite a bit. And finally you can use Satellite services if you have Direct TV or the same likes. That uses some caching technology locally, and still you see lag as you have to bounce off of a bird in space for all of your traffic. You are going to see at least almost a second delay before you hit the internet backbone. Some of your media based apps can time out, or VPN apps to work may not work with Directway.

In Europe, specifically near London we are seeing some VDSL being rolled out. This allows for almost 5 times the speed of cable coming over your standard digital telephone connection. I dont know when this will be rolled out in the US, but I am sure some companies are looking at it. Unfortunately you have the local telephone companies competiting with the people that they have to provide service for, and that is why new DSL technologies are slow to hit the US.

Hope this helps.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
TWX merger, or good news?

TWX Merger.

No news. Just working along. Or something. :)

TWX is a lot different. Some things are really awesome, and some things are just plain different. Over time, it will be interesting to see which way works better.