Anyone else catch this?

TheChrisSamsa

From the most recent "White Sox Notes" on whitesox.com I sure as hell got a kick out of it.

Final word: "Freddy can't hit anybody with his 84 mile-per-hour fastball. If he hits somebody, they're going to get on base, steal second and third and everything." -- Guillen, on Garcia

He made a funnier comment, IMO, concerning the HBP in the Sun-Times.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside31.html

As far as the conspiracy theory that Major League Baseball or the umpires ordered Young hit, Guillen could only laugh at first.

''[bleep] Major League Baseball,'' Guillen said. ''Like we're going to do something like that for them?''

QUOTE(PlunketChris @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
From the most recent "White Sox Notes" on whitesox.com I sure as hell got a kick out of it.

Final word: "Freddy can't hit anybody with his 84 mile-per-hour fastball. If he hits somebody, they're going to get on base, steal second and third and everything." -- Guillen, on Garcia

Funny quote, but bad grammar. Using "they" or "them" to refer to a single person is incorrect usage. Ozzie should have said "he" instead of "they're".

Something else that upsets me about grammar is my ignorance of where to put the period when quoting the final word in a sentence. Can someone explain the rules to me?

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
Guillen is never going to have good english grammar.

Agreed, and I'm usually lenient to non-native English speakers when it comes to grammar and accent.

It's just a common mistake that many native English speakers believe is proper usage, and I took the opportunity to teach someone.

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
Agreed, and I'm usually lenient to non-native English speakers when it comes to grammar and accent.

It's just a common mistake that many native English speakers believe is proper usage, and I took the opportunity to teach someone.

So Ozzie wrote out this quote....

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 07:05 PM)
Yea...

Probably spelled it out for the reporter though.

I didn't take issue with the spelling of a word but Ozzie's improper use of a word, so I don't understand the point you're making.

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
Funny quote, but bad grammar. Using "they" or "them" to refer to a single person is incorrect usage. Ozzie should have said "he" instead of "they're".

Something else that upsets me about grammar is my ignorance of where to put the period when quoting the final word in a sentence. Can someone explain the rules to me?

Ozzie said, "I have a lot of fun coaching this team."

"I have a lot of fun coaching this team," Ozzie said.

I don't have a problem with the first part actually. If the quote would have been "He" then one would ask who? By saying "they", the implication is or can be everyone, which is reality. I understand your complaint however.

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
I didn't take issue with the spelling of a word but Ozzie's improper use of a word, so I don't understand the point you're making.

Oh, there was no need for me to make one. I think you did it perfectly.