Lincoln Chafee (R-RI) facing primary challenge

Rex Kickass

Latest poll out of Rhode Island show Moderate Republican Lincoln Chafee losing to his right wing opponent in the primary 51-34.

If he loses the primary, should he run as an independent?

Should Joe Lieberman speak on his behalf?

Or should he honor the wishes of his party?

Why is it that when the voters speak this time... that it isn't good enough in the past two presidential elections? This time, Joe's supposed to bow out and be gracious, but HELL NO, GORE WAS ROBBED, and KERRY WAS ROBBED!

Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
Why is it that when the voters speak this time... that it isn't good enough in the past two presidential elections? This time, Joe's supposed to bow out and be gracious, but HELL NO, GORE WAS ROBBED, and KERRY WAS ROBBED!

Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Um, technically...Gore did get more votes...

And weren't there quite a few calls for Gore to bow out and be gracious from the moment the legal challenges in Florida started? I'm sure you remember the Sore Loserman shirts.

not following the logic here. Lieberman lost by 4% didn't he?

Gore did get robbed due to more people electing him than Bush. That's not how our system chooses its President, but its a legitimate beef. "More people wanted me as President than Bush"

Kerry... not so much. There were significant problems with the Ohio vote, but had he carried that state it would be the same situation as above. Bush could then say, more people wanted me as President than Kerry"

As for both Lieberman and potentially Chaffee, neither of them should be able to run as indys. There should be an election law that states if you run in a contested primary and lose, you are done.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
As for both Lieberman and potentially Chaffee, neither of them should be able to run as indys. There should be an election law that states if you run in a contested primary and lose, you are done.

Several states do have those, such as Ohio, however, Connecticut is not one of them.

Interestingly, they're nicknamed "Sore Loser" laws.