Hendry Helping Tigers and Twins

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
The race for the wildcard comes down to the season ending series against the Twins and Nevin gets key RBI's to help the Twins clinch the wildcard. Certainly that is a possibility and if it happens I'm pretty sure this board will be wailing and gnashing their collective teeth about how the Cubs screwed us.

It's certainly a possibility that I'm not going to write off, but the Soxtalk members are going to direct their anger at Ozzie instead. Phil Nevin and Neifi Perez didn't blow numerous games for us with their excellent in-game managing, and I can guarantee you that nevin and Perez will help us win rather than lose.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
You know what, I agree. A person saying that there's a conspiracy going on from the Tribune execs against the White Sox, by noting a Neifi Perez and Phil Nevin (hah) trade, is totally, 100% correct.

If Cerb didn't make his initial post, I probably would have done the exact same thing. This thread is ludicrous, and deservedly got ripped.

As usual the reading comprehension level of the people here amazes me. Where exactly did I state that it was my opinion that it was a conspiracy? I simply asked a question . Coincidence or conspiracy ? As i said before disagree ,call the post ridiculous, but personal insults have no place in any discussion no matter how ludicrous the topic . Those in charge of this board have stated that many times.

Phil Nevin is worthless. He was a bad player, playing on a bad team. He was picked up about 5 weeks too late to help the cubs, it was a pointless move when it happened to the cubs, now the Twins make the same move. This is also a team that decided to start Tony Bautista at 3rd this year.

The Nefi Perez move is the equivalent of someone picking up Timo Perez, and then worrying that it will affect the AL Central race. The more Neifi bats, the better for us.

These moves dont do a thing positive for either team.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
Phil Nevin is worthless. He was a bad player, playing on a bad team. He was picked up about 5 weeks too late to help the cubs, it was a pointless move when it happened to the cubs, now the Twins make the same move. This is also a team that decided to start Tony Bautista at 3rd this year.

The Nefi Perez move is the equivalent of someone picking up Timo Perez, and then worrying that it will affect the AL Central race. The more Neifi bats, the better for us.

These moves dont do a thing positive for either team.

Phil Nevin

Since being acquired by the Cubs vs. righthanded pithchers :

AB H HR Avg.

110 20 8 .318

Post All-Star Break stats against RH pitchers

AB H HR Avg.

57 20 5 .351

Certainly not worthless.

Neifi Perez with the Tigers 9 games at 2B and SS 0 errors 77 innings 53 total chances. Hasn't hurt them yet in the field.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Phil Nevin

Since being acquired by the Cubs vs. righthanded pithchers :

AB H HR Avg.

110 20 8 .318

Post All-Star Break stats against RH pitchers

AB H HR Avg.

57 20 5 .351

Certainly not worthless.

Neifi Perez with the Tigers 9 games at 2B and SS 0 errors 77 innings 53 total chances. Hasn't hurt them yet in the field.

Nevin hit that against the weak NL. How good do you really think he is going to hit against the better AL. Phil Nevin is poo on a stick bad.

Neifi Perez has to bat remember. He is horrible. He is just poo.

QUOTE(rowand @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
perez was the worst player on the cubs...now he is the worst player on the tigers and has cost them many runs with his poor defense.

Many runs ? 0 errors since joining the Tigers. While I realize errors are not a definite true measure of fielding ability, I can't see how you can back up what you just said.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
Nevin hit that against the weak NL. How good do you really think he is going to hit against the better AL. Phil Nevin is poo on a stick bad.

Neifi Perez has to bat remember. He is horrible. He is just poo.

Time will tell . Since 4 of our 5 starters are right hander and aren't exactly setting the world on fire, I can see Nevin helping the Twins against us. All it will take is one key hit against us in the last series against the Twins to make this pickup worthwhile.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 06:16 AM)
so you only want people who agree with you or find your post intelligent to respond?

No, that's not it. But to label any poster's good faith effort a the worst anything ever is a bit extreme. Debate the content, but respect the poster. Respect is a good thing..wouldn't you agree?

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
No, that's not it. But to label any poster's good faith effort a the worst anything ever is a bit extreme. Debate the content, but respect the poster. Respect is a good thing..wouldn't you agree?

I thought it was more a tongue in cheek thread starter that would have been fun to kick.

:cheers

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)

Thanks. Respect is good but not en vogue . I simply asked a question to be debated. I highly doubt the braintrusts of the Tigers and Twins would've made these acquisitons if they thought those players would hurt them.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
I thought it was more a tongue in cheek thread starter that would have been fun to kick.

:cheers

It's not like Perez and Nevin are franchise players but considering Nevin's post All STar game stats against righthanders I'm sure the Twins feel he can fill a specific role. I like playing devil's advocate but I don't like being insulted by people who's only way of feeling like a man is to rip others.

Neifi Perez has been a great help to the Tigers, and by great help I mean he's managed to be even worse than his career numbers and has thankfully been benched.

Edit: As for Neifi's defense, he cost us at least 2 runs in the final game of the Yankees series (a game we lost by 2 runs) by managing to flail around aimlessly and let an A-Rod pop up fall in, and then cutting off a laser throw from left field that would have had A-Rod by a mile at 2nd on another play.

(Maybe he just really likes A-Rod...)

Edited by loltrain

I in fact was hoping that the Twins and Tigers obtaining ex-Cub players would help us. If I remember correctly, last year we won it all WITHOUT having ANY ex-Cub players on our team. (Can't count Garland, because he never played in the majors while he was in the Cub organization). Well, I may be wrong, but this year also we have NO ex-Cub players on our team. Not sure if Detroit or Minny did either, but now that they officially do, doesn't that better our chances and give us more hope? Maybe we do have plyers that need some improvement, but we don't carry around any stains from someone who is officially named "the loveable losers" on our team. No Scrubbies, no stains, No reason to lose your lunch!!!! It's kind of amazing how many games each team has lost when they looked unloseable BEFORE THEY OBTAINED A CUB PLAYER!

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
The "ex-Cubs" factor is all a bunch of crap. There's no such thing. Look at the Marlins: They're making a run for the wild card w/ 5 ex-Cubs on the pitching staff, and a manager who used to play for the Cubs.

In a sense I agree, but it just makes it a little more fun to think and hope that something that has to do with The Cubs could ruin something for someone. It just makes for a little more fun conversation with Sox fan friends who start getting in their negativity mode when we lose a game.

In a sense I agree, but it just makes it a little more fun to think and hope that something that has to do with The Cubs could ruin something for someone. It just makes for a little more fun conversation with Sox fan friends who start getting in their negativity mode when we lose a game.

I guess, but if Neifi or Nevin deliever a winning hit against us, and knock us out, are you going to renew your conspiracies that Hendry did it to screw us?? Truth is, we shouldn't be complaining. I have the Cubs-Tigers thread bookmarked, and a lot of people in that thread were rooting for the Tigers over the Cubs. Same w/ the Cubs-Twins series. If we finish w/in 3 games of the Twins or Tigers, those who wanted them to bet the Cubs shouldn't complain, b/c it's what they wanted. They wanted them to sweep the Cubs, and they did. Hendry trading players to them is irrelevant. Do you think he'd even want to trade w/ the Sox?? Unless he got a good deal, he wouldn't. He's not THAT dumb. What we should be looking at is fans rooting for the Twins and Tigers to beat the Cubs, and even AJ wanting the Twins and Tigers to bet the Cubs.

- Cuck the Fubs