Sir Hawk Harrelson

JoeBatterz

Funny line from Bill Simmons Sports Guy column of today:

Anyway, there's this show on Fox's all-soccer channel called "Fan Zone," where two rowdy British fans announce one of the games and openly cheer for their teams. It's kind of like watching a White Sox telecast, only if Hawk Harrelson had a British accent and sounded drunk

Insert your own joke here.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
Funny line from Bill Simmons Sports Guy column of today:

Insert your own joke here.

:gosox1:

Wasn't Harry Caray adored and wasn't he a homer? I'm sorry, any White Sox fan who b****es about Hawk being a homer is really just looking for things to complain about. John Rooney was a homer and he just gets praised and praised and praised. I for one, would rather listen to a guy calling a game that wants the same results I do. Some of Hawk's calls this year have been priceless. The way he belts out Joe Crede when Crede does something spectacular is so good it has to be geniune. Hawk does go overboard with the umpires sometimes, and goes out of his way on occassion not to rip the Sox, but he's also been very candid, and wants the Sox to win just as bad as any of us do. If Bill Simmons doesn't like it, he doesn't have to go out of his way to listen to it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Wasn't Harry Caray adored and wasn't he a homer? I'm sorry, any White Sox fan who b****es about Hawk being a homer is really just looking for things to complain about. John Rooney was a homer and he just gets praised and praised and praised. I for one, would rather listen to a guy calling a game that wants the same results I do. Some of Hawk's calls this year have been priceless. The way he belts out Joe Crede when Crede does something spectacular is so good it has to be geniune. Hawk does go overboard with the umpires sometimes, and goes out of his way on occassion not to rip the Sox, but he's also been very candid, and wants the Sox to win just as bad as any of us do. If Bill Simmons doesn't like it, he doesn't have to go out of his way to listen to it.

Harry Caray was not a homer. He would rip into the organization regularly and that was why he left the team. He insulted the players, coaches, and management. Hawk, on the other hand, kisses their ass for the most part.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)

Rooney was the best announcer in Chicago. His departure has made this season even tougher for me as I can no longer handle listening to games on the radio. This forces me to watch baseball on TV on the weekend and listen to Hawk and DJ, who are remarkably better than Farmer/Singleton but still need to STFU and call the game rather than continue their slow abysmal descent down memory lane. Ultimately, the yardwork does not get done since I am inside watching TV rather than outside working and listening to the game. Then I get a lousy dinner and no lovin' because my wife is made at me for neglecting the grass. Before I know it I am back at work Monday all because the Score is to daggum cheap to pay the man what he was worth. Did I mention how much I hate Ed Farmer?

Edited by Beltin'Bill

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
I'm sorry, any White Sox fan who b****es about Hawk being a homer is really just looking for things to complain about. John Rooney was a homer and he just gets praised and praised and praised. I for one, would rather listen to a guy calling a game that wants the same results I do.

A couple of comments:

1. There is no way - no way - you are comparing Rooney's "Homer-ness" to Hawk's. It's not even a discussion. Rooney was a professional who, as a result of working for the team for years, obviously wanted them to win and got more excited when they did win. But Hawk is the only guy I've ever heard who acts less like a professional broadcaster and more like some dude watching at a bar. The guy practically curses out umpires when calls go against us. Please, no comparison.

2. There is a difference between a guy who "wants the same results I do" (as in Rooney) and a guy who is such a blatant homer you can't even trust he is ever telling you the truth about something. When Hawk comments on a call, or an umpire, or a player, or a pitch, or whatever... I totally dismiss it because he has no credibility. I agree with you that I want the announcer "who wants the same results I do" and gets fired up when the Sox hit a HR or get a big strikeout... but you have to balance that with honest coverage of the game. Otherwise why the hell do we even need an announcer on TV?

Hawk may be "over the top" but he is singularly one of the most original broadcasters in the business. Mike Krukow of the Giants comes a distant second. I don't care much for his whining about umpires, but overall he does a good job, and I like the idea of the guy calling the game being as pumped up about a play as I am. He is definitely a homer, but he's our homer.

In a world full of cookie-cutter sports broadcasters, I will always give a big thumbs up to guys like Hawk, Steve Lyons and even california stoner surfer dude Rex Hudler. You young'uns out there count your blessings that you never had to listen to Jack Drees when he did the Sox games on TV. If I was wasn't born and raised a Sox fan I might've ended up paying more attention to the Cubs because Jack Brickhouse was much more entertaining. Lucky he did Sox games also back in the day.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Harry Caray was not a homer. He would rip into the organization regularly and that was why he left the team. He insulted the players, coaches, and management. Hawk, on the other hand, kisses their ass for the most part.

Harry was most certainly a homer once he joined the Tribune Co.