Post-game curse-a-thon

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Look at the starters' ERA this year. Are you saying Cintron should never start at SS? Come on you're smarter than that ....

Do you think that the opening day starting lineup should play as a group more than say 25% of the time. If you think that defense means nothing then sure, Cintron and Mack can platoon as much as we want to.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
You're wrong. What's hurting the team is the high-priced starting rotation.

Sure, the starting rotation has hurt the Sox more than Ozzie's bad decisions and talent evaluations, but you can't say Ozzie hasn't costed the Sox wins.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I'm not mistaken, the Sox have the second highest paid rotation in MLB and aside frpm Contreras' stint on the DL earlier this year, no one has mussed a start. Nice return on investment, Kenny.

GMAFB!

It was only a matter of time before one of the chairman's cronies came on this board and talked about financials.

Look at how the rotation performed last year. For 2006, the only guy whose salary is questionable is Vazquez. The Yanks threw a ton of money at him, and the Sox are getting some from Arizona to help cover the costs. Supposedly KW tried to trade Garcia in the offseason, Garland is only making $7 or $8 million this year IIRC, and Contreras got a below market value after the way he pitch from August on in 2005.

Isn't it time for you to start another "If the sox miss the playoffs, should KW be fired?" thread Wealz?

Last year the Sox took off after that thread.

QUOTE(Dan @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
are you serious?!!? over the travesty and disgrace that is Ed Farmer?!!

If I was offered a lifetime of listening to PFB or Farmer. Farmer would be like listening to heaven, and PFB would like I was sentenced to the 9th level of hell. PFB is satan stepping on your balls, and smiling at you telling you the pain is just confidence.

QUOTE(Dan @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
i cant believe some of you are Sox fans after all the bad mouthin ive heard this year alone.

If you get a few spare hours read some of the past game threads. I have heard some horror stories about them!!! :ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
The investment was in place last year. The return was well worth the expense.

It was not in place last year, you're wrong. At the end of last year they were obligated to 2 years of Contreras and Garland. Today, they are obligated to 8 years od Contreras, Garland, and Vazquez. Not too mention relinquishing a very good prospect in Chris Young to get Vazquez.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Aww, no, you didn't.

Even the comparison is an insult to common sense.

Farmio, you still got a fan here.

Better with Rooney, but I still enjoy yer calls.

awww hellz yea i did! my ears bleed when i hear his voice. its worse than the tune of 5,000 screaming children.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
It was not in place last year, you're wrong. At the end of last year they were obligated to 2 years of Contreras and Garland. Today, they are obligated to 8 years od Contreras, Garland, and Vazquez. Not too mention relinquishing a very good prospect in Chris Young to get Vazquez.

Oh, don't worry...your pp is longer.

I have a WS memory. The payoff was worth it.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
GMAFB!

It was only a matter of time before one of the chairman's cronies came on this board and talked about financials.

Look at how the rotation performed last year. For 2006, the only guy whose salary is questionable is Vazquez. The Yanks threw a ton of money at him, and the Sox are getting some from Arizona to help cover the costs. Supposedly KW tried to trade Garcia in the offseason, Garland is only making $7 or $8 million this year IIRC, and Contreras got a below market value after the way he pitch from August on in 2005.

Isn't it time for you to start another "If the sox miss the playoffs, should KW be fired?" thread Wealz?

Last year the Sox took off after that thread.

So you're ok with having Contreras locked in through 2009? Hey, KW should be the GM for however long he wants to be after winning a World Series, but some of his moves since deserve to be questioned.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)

Oh sweet god.

Garland was a smart signing. So was contreras. I didnt like the Vazquez thing, not because of keeping Chris Young but it was to flip Chris Young for something better than Vaz.

The only thing I wish KW did at the break was to pick up Brady Clark as a 4th OF to platoon in LF and provide a real backup for Anderson in CF instead of having to use a corner OF in center all the time.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
Oh sweet god.

Garland was a smart signing. So was contreras. I didnt like the Vazquez thing, not because of keeping Chris Young but it was to flip Chris Young for something better than Vaz.

The only thing I wish KW did at the break was to pick up Brady Clark as a 4th OF to platoon in LF and provide a real backup for Anderson in CF instead of having to use a corner OF in center all the time.

Why was the Contreras signing smart?

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
So you're ok with having Contreras locked in through 2009? Hey, KW should be the GM for however long he wants to be after winning a World Series, but some of his moves since deserve to be questioned.

Hysterical.. you give Kenny a pass.. someone that sat in an office while the players played their asses off.. but you won't give the actual guys that did all the work some slack.

So wrong, so incredibly wrong.

So I'm on the 12th, right?, and, par 3, and, base hit into right field, Iguchi round to 3rd, and this is just the most impressive course you've ever SEEN. And Joe is sayin, Guys, I got to pack it in, I have a 4 o'clock. Yeah. Yeah. [Looooooooong pause.] On the 12th hole, I'm telling you! Now the Royals don't have much in the way of locating, as you could see on that WIIIIILD pitch in the 5th, but they do have what they call "filthy" stuff nowadays. His stuff is filthy! Yeah. Yeah.

Go go go go, Farmio. :cheers

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Hysterical.. you give Kenny a pass.. someone that sat in an office while the players played their asses off.. but you won't give the actual guys that did all the work some slack.

steff ive always wondered why are you "do-able" picsorban.gif

What are you talking about? If Williams didn't assemble the team, you'd have no World Series memories.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Why was the Contreras signing smart?

Contreras is hurt. His back has a problem. He went from throwing 97 consistantly to now he cant hit 93 consistantly. He also went from predominantly over the top, using side arm as an out pitch for the sweeping slider and running fastball to predominately a side arm pitcher who doesnt follow through. I am surprised that they havent done a put up or shut up on Jose's health.

If you think he is just done then I suggest you review reality. Next spring, poof he will be back to hitting mid 90s with great stuff. Back injuries to a pitcher, epsecially a power pitcher can just shut them down.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh?

Garland had one year of arbitration left.

Contreras had one year left on his 4 year deal he signed with the Yankees BACK BEFORE the 2003 season with the Sox payin $6 million

You said the same things about Jeremy Reed when he was traded for Garcia. I'm not saying Young won't being anything, but how exactly would he fit in the Sox's current plans? Guillen won't play Anderson everyday, and Pods is always out there.

We just called up Sweeney, Owens is on the way, and Fields has been seeing some OF time. Dye will ahve his option picked up (a whopping $6 million. STUPID KW wrecklessly spending the chairman's money and Mack is signed for a few more years.

Players need their physical skills to perform; front office baseball men only need their intelligence. If a player doesn't have the physical skills to produce, he has little value to the present team. If a smart GM makes a bad trade amongst many good ones, he has great value to his team since he's likely to build more championship-caliber teams.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
Contreras is hurt. His back has a problem. He went from throwing 97 consistantly to now he cant hit 93 consistantly. He also went from predominantly over the top, using side arm as an out pitch for the sweeping slider and running fastball to predominately a side arm pitcher who doesnt follow through. I am surprised that they havent done a put up or shut up on Jose's health.

If you think he is just done then I suggest you review reality. Next spring, poof he will be back to hitting mid 90s with great stuff. Back injuries to a pitcher, epsecially a power pitcher can just shut them down.

Sources that he's hurt?

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
Players need their physical skills to perform; front office baseball men only need their intelligence. If a player doesn't have the physical skills to produce, he has little value to the present team. If a smart GM makes a bad trade amongst many good ones, he has great value to his team since he's likely to build more championship-caliber teams.

So Kenny's intelligence won us the WS least year...?

Alrighty.