The Frank Thomas Situation

stretchstretch

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 10:00 AM)
Sweet, but wrong.

Frank got off to a HORRIBLE start and Thome was white-hot early.

If anything, the Sox would be further out of first without Thome's incredible April and May.

^^^

It's good for Frank that'll get to another playoff where he can actually play.

I love the Big Hurt, but in the overall scheme of things I think Thome was the better choice for the Sox. He is the power lefty hitter we needed and he hits for higher BA then Frank. He also has more RBI's and homers. I wonder if Frank is still a bit on the crippled side because his batting average still hovers around the .260-.270 range? The foot injury kept him from hitting more than homers last year and kept the average down. Possibly he is just changing his approach knowing that Oakland needs the power production? Whatever, I think Frank Thomas is one of the all time greats.

I honestly could care less about Frank and the Athletics. If Frank were to win it all with the A's, he would feel justified in showing our organization why we shouldn't have let him go and some crap. When it comes down to it I'm a White Sox fan and as much as I love Frank the player I could careless whether or not he suceeds with another team. I would be happy for Frank in the long run but Frank just needs to remember to keep his mouth shut if they go the distance.

Edited by WinningUgly85

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 01:17 AM)
If we're not there, I'll be cheering for Oakland all the way. I know Frank has a ring (and it's well deserved), but it would be awesome to see him get one playing a bigger part in it than he did last year.

^^^

A steroid-free Frank reaching 500 career HRs would also make him a lock for Cooperstown. Here's hoping... :cheers

Big Hurt had some monster years with the Sox . No telling what his numbers would be like if he hadn't got hurt so much the last 3-4 years. I've kept a close eye on him all year and his batting average has gone up every month . He's well over .300 post All-Star break which I believe is an indication of his health and shaking off the rust . There were many on this board who were truly convinced he was through last year. Really very happy for him.

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I honestly could care less about Frank and the Athletics. If Frank were to win it all with the A's, he would feel justified in showing our organization why we shouldn't have let him go and some crap. When it comes down to it I'm a White Sox fan and as much as I love Frank the player I could careless whether or not he suceeds with another team. I would be happy for Frank in the long run but Frank just needs to remember to keep his mouth shut if they go the distance.

And he should feel justified. Kenny, Ozzie, Jerry, a lot of Sox fans (especially from this board), thought/claimed he was done. He's made a lot of people look stupid. That's what great players do. When you doubt them, that's when they rise to the occassion. I can almost guarantee you Frank wouldn't throw it in the Sox's face if they did go all the way. He's not that kinda guy. When was the last time Frank even mentioned the White Sox? His play has done all the talking that needs to be done.

I never thought frank was done, i knew he had a couple years left in him as long as he didnt break any more bones. Im afraid hes going to kill us in the playoffs, just like earlier in the season. I just hope thome, konerko, and dye can outslug him. Which they most likely will.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
And he should feel justified. Kenny, Ozzie, Jerry, a lot of Sox fans (especially from this board), thought/claimed he was done. He's made a lot of people look stupid. That's what great players do. When you doubt them, that's when they rise to the occassion. I can almost guarantee you Frank wouldn't throw it in the Sox's face if they did go all the way. He's not that kinda guy. When was the last time Frank even mentioned the White Sox? His play has done all the talking that needs to be done.

How does replacing him with a guy with better numbers across the board make anyone look stupid? I'm glad he's not on the White Sox. KW and crew would be planning for 2007 right now. The other thing that is also glossed over by those drinking Frank Thomas Kool-aid by the gallons is Paul Konerko would be with the Angels right now if Frank was the White Sox DH.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
No offense to Frank but I couldn't care less what the A's do. He's part of another organization now so to be honest he's just another player in my mind, even if he's the greatest player in our teams history.

Kind of contradictory statement... he is just another player even though he is our greatest player ever. Ill always root for the Whitesox first but definitely root for Frank Thomas 2nd.