The Frank Thomas Situation

stretchstretch

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
Kind of contradictory statement... he is just another player even though he is our greatest player ever. Ill always root for the Whitesox first but definitely root for Frank Thomas 2nd.

No it's not. I know he's the greatest player in our organizations history but right now he's not on the White Sox and he's just another player to me. So good for him for having this solid season but I just don't care.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Cloudyguy09 @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
I never thought frank was done, i knew he had a couple years left in him as long as he didnt break any more bones. Im afraid hes going to kill us in the playoffs, just like earlier in the season. I just hope thome, konerko, and dye can outslug him. Which they most likely will.

Yeah, Thomas could kill us if he goes 0-9 again like he did in the 2000 ALDS.

"But it was the shadows! I couldn't see." :crying

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
How does replacing him with a guy with better numbers across the board make anyone look stupid? I'm glad he's not on the White Sox. KW and crew would be planning for 2007 right now. The other thing that is also glossed over by those drinking Frank Thomas Kool-aid by the gallons is Paul Konerko would be with the Angels right now if Frank was the White Sox DH.

I'm confused as to how you arrived at that conclusion?

I am happy we have Thome instead of Frank, but in hindsight, keeping Thomas at $3.5 M wouldn't have been such a bad move. For one, we keep Gio Gonzalez with the possibility of using him to acquire another player, have more money to spend elsewhere, and Rowand is still on the team as the starting CF. I'm not a fan of Rowand, but he's been more productive than Anderson this season, and Ozzie's not platooning Mack out there with Rowand still on the roster.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
I'm confused as to how you arrived at that conclusion?

I am happy we have Thome instead of Frank, but in hindsight, keeping Thomas at $3.5 M wouldn't have been such a bad move. For one, we keep Gio Gonzalez with the possibility of using him to acquire another player, have more money to spend elsewhere, and Rowand is still on the team as the starting CF. I'm not a fan of Rowand, but he's been more productive than Anderson this season, and Ozzie's not platooning Mack out there with Rowand still on the roster.

Konerko said that Thome was a huge reason he came back. Its not a conclusion, its a fact. There's no telling what Rowand would have done with the White Sox. His numbers aren't that much better than Anderson's playing in a weak league. He may have been great, he may have gotten injured on opening night. Thome is a better player than Frank Thomas at this stage. Plus he's left handed. Dye and Konerko had nowhere near the success with Frank hobbling around than they have had with Thome. Everything people around here complain about Thome lacks Frank lacks more except for strikeouts. Frank cannot hit doubles. He is slower than Konerko. Another thing, Frank Thomas wasn't cleared to play until just before the season started. For a defending champion looking to repeat to wait that long for an answer to what would be a huge piece of the puzzle would have been too big a gamble. I know every game has the possibility of being anyone's last, but in Frank's case the odds are better. He's one misstep or foul ball from being done.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
Konerko said that Thome was a huge reason he came back. Its not a conclusion, its a fact. There's no telling what Rowand would have done with the White Sox. His numbers aren't that much better than Anderson's playing in a weak league. He may have been great, he may have gotten injured on opening night. Thome is a better player than Frank Thomas at this stage. Plus he's left handed. Dye and Konerko had nowhere near the success with Frank hobbling around than they have had with Thome. Everything people around here complain about Thome lacks Frank lacks more except for strikeouts. Frank cannot hit doubles. He is slower than Konerko. Another thing, Frank Thomas wasn't cleared to play until just before the season started. For a defending champion looking to repeat to wait that long for an answer to what would be a huge piece of the puzzle would have been too big a gamble. I know every game has the possibility of being anyone's last, but in Frank's case the odds are better. He's one misstep or foul ball from being done.

Also, just because Frank has remained relatively healthy for A's does not mean he would have done the same had the White Sox retained him. That's just what the Sox would need, Frank goes down the second week of the season and have to go the rest of the way with Gload/Konerko (asuming he resigned) at DH, with the way the pitching has been the year the Sox would be completely f***ed.

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
I generally was on KWs side of things at the beginning of the season, though Frank's contributions to White Sox baseball will always be remembered fondly.

Now that he's going to the playoffs with team who has a solid shot to go the distance, and we may not, are people here happy for him?

If the Sox don't make the playoffs or get eliminated, I'm rooting for the A's. If the sox can't win a seconf ring, you can bet I'd love to see Frank get a second ring.

Bob

I would be happy for Frank in the long run but Frank just needs to remember to keep his mouth shut if they go the distance.

I hope Frank blasts the Sox all he wants if they go the distance.

First of all he won't do that because he'll be too busy celebrating with his new teammates.

Our organization thought Frank was done; he wasn't.

Frank is only the best Sox player of all time.

He can do whatever he wants.

and to the comment about those of us who drink the Thomas koolaid I take offense

to that.

Just because I think Thomas is a f***ing stud and don't drink the KW koolaide

doesn't mean I worship Hurt.

I feel very happy for Hurt and hope he blasts the Sox all he wants if he wins it all.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 07:12 AM)
I hope Frank blasts the Sox all he wants if they go the distance.

First of all he won't do that because he'll be too busy celebrating with his new teammates.

Our organization thought Frank was done; he wasn't.

Frank is only the best Sox player of all time.

He can do whatever he wants.

and to the comment about those of us who drink the Thomas koolaid I take offense

to that.

Just because I think Thomas is a f***ing stud and don't drink the KW koolaide

doesn't mean I worship Hurt.

I feel very happy for Hurt and hope he blasts the Sox all he wants if he wins it all.

What would he blast us about? Jim Thome has been better this season and even though he is injured right now and came off a bad injury compared to Thomas he is a much lesser risk.