Trade question

witesoxfan

Probably, Florida has no reason to hang on to anybody if they are offered some talent.

I don't think Pierre is the answer, though. A national league type guy if you ask me. But hey, you never know.

Maybe I should clarify then.

Does anyone know if Juan Pierre is available VIA TRADE?

Right now, nobody is availavle in Florida. They can't even make up their minds about Lowell.

I'd say everyone will be in a week or so, at least Lowell, Encarnacion, Pierre and quite possibly I-Rod.

I actually like Encarnacion more than Pierre. Encarnacion can play CF too. Too bad he strikes out so much.

Im still pulling for Tyner.

Wrong Florida team, but I too am rooting for Tyner. I have felt bad ever since he was demoted the day before Jason Tyner bobblehead day at Tropicana Field

Does anyone know if Juan Pierre is available?

WSF- I'd love to acquire Juan Pierre, and sign him to a long term deal. He'd be a perfect addition to this team, and then we only have to worry about getting a damn shortstop.

CWSOX45

I don't think Pierre is the answer, though.  A national league type guy if you ask me.

A national league type? You mean a singles hitter, can get down a bunt, hit a sac fly, has good speed, and can steal bases?

That's why I was wondering if Juan Pierre is available! :lol:

Fainter....I can handle his weak arm(because you being around the Rocky Mountain area and seeing Rockies games, I'd take your word for everything you say about Rockies hitters), because he's better then anything we have now, and he could be the Julio Cruz of 2003.

A national league type?  You mean a singles hitter, can get down a bunt, hit a sac fly, has good speed, and can steal bases? 

That's why I was wondering if Juan Pierre is available!  :lol:

Fainter....I can handle his weak arm(because you being around the Rocky Mountain area and seeing Rockies games, I'd take your word for everything you say about Rockies hitters), because he's better then anything we have now, and he could be the Julio Cruz of 2003.

Yeah...a good player is a good player, regardless of the league he plays in.

WSF:  I like Pierre. His speed would really help us.  I don't know why the Marlins would be anxious to move him, though.

Speaking of the Marlins, their rookie pitcher Willis just shut out the Mets.

$$$. it sounds like the Marlins may need to move some salary. What kind of deal does Pierre have?

WSF:  I like Pierre. His speed would really help us.  I don't know why the Marlins would be anxious to move him, though.

$$$. it sounds like the Marlins may need to move some salary. What kind of deal does Pierre have?

He's only making $1M this season. I'll try and see if I can find out what his contract is worth.

Juan Pierre OF FLA Signed Mar 2002 - 4 years/$7.5M

2002: $0.5M (+$0.4M signing bonus)

2003: $0.9M

2004: $2.3M

2005: $3.4M

-Total value of deal can reach $12.75M with incentives

WSF:  I like Pierre.   His speed would really help us.  I don't know why the Marlins would be anxious to move him, though.

Juan Pierre OF FLA Signed Mar 2002 - 4 years/$7.5M

2002: $0.5M (+$0.4M signing bonus)

2003: $0.9M

2004: $2.3M

2005: $3.4M

-Total value of deal can reach $12.75M with incentives

Ask and you shall recieve, thanks.

Now that I look at that, it kind of makes me think that we'll have to give up a little more then I figured we would.

I'd personally be willing to give up Rauch, and if he ever figures it would with them, kudos to him. I just think that Pierre may be what we need to spark this team. That'd move DJ to 2nd in the lineup, and he, IMO, is the perfect #2 hitter. Having those two at the top also works well because Carlos can then move to the #5 spot. Valentin moves to the #6 spot, and then whoever else.

Willis is another of those players the Cubs traded that will haunt them for years to come.

Willis is another of those players the Cubs traded that will haunt them for years to come.

I wish we could put Garland in that category as of right now, but as of right now, I am just not sure we can.

WSF:  I like Pierre.   His speed would really help us.  I don't know why the Marlins would be anxious to move him, though.

I wish we could put Garland in that category as of right now, but as of right now, I am just not sure we can.

You can't even put Garland in the "best pitcher in the trade" category yet. Matt Karchner's still had a better career, but it's really early on Jonny Boy yet. Once he learns that each batter gets 3 strikes instead of 2, he could really be something.

You can't even put Garland in the "best pitcher in the trade" category yet. Matt Karchner's still had a better career, but it's really early on Jonny Boy yet. Once he learns that each batter gets 3 strikes instead of 2, he could really be something.

http://www.baseballreference.com/k/karchma01.shtml

What about that career is so good? If he was any good he wouldn't have disappeared from baseball.

http://www.baseballreference.com/k/karchma01.shtml

What about that career is so good? If he was any good he wouldn't have disappeared from baseball.

It's not, that was my point to all people who seem to have it in their heads that the Sox pulled of the heist of the century when they made that trade. It might turn out to be a nice swindling, but as of now it's no better than a wash.

Pierre is a solid player, but I don't think he improves this team that much. I can live with Rowand and Harris as a stopgap in CF until a better option comes. 2 of the Sox top 5 prospects are CF and they used their 1st pick in this years draft on a CF. There will be help on the way in the near future, possible as early as mid-season next year if Reed continues to develop. So I don't like the idea of giving up a good prospect or 2 to get a guy like Pierre, especially a guy like Rauch. As Sox fans we have to realize that we could lose 2/5ths of the current rotation and Rauch could be a very important part to the future, more important then acquiring Pierre IMO.

How about that kid Willis? That kid has a serious arm from the left side. His arm is living up to his potential. How come Sox pitching prospects can't do the same? It seems that Sox prospects are overhyped in the minors. To often I read minor league scouting reports on a rookie pitcher that say he consistantly throws in the mid-90's only to seem hi struggle to keep it in the low-90's. Or that he has great control only to see him constantly fall behind in the count and walk hitters. Or have a great breaking ball only to see him hang it and not be able to throw it consistantly for strikes. ECT. When you look at Willis and his stuff you see a future front of the rotation starter. I never got that feeling with guys like Garland, Wright, and even Wells.

Pierre is a solid player, but I don't think he improves this team that much. I can live with Rowand and Harris as a stopgap in CF until a better option comes. 2 of the Sox top 5 prospects are CF and they used their 1st pick in this years draft on a CF. There will be help on the way in the near future, possible as early as mid-season next year if Reed continues to develop. So I don't like the idea of giving up a good prospect or 2 to get a guy like Pierre, especially a guy like Rauch. As Sox fans we have to realize that we could lose 2/5ths of the current rotation and Rauch could be a very important part to the future, more important then acquiring Pierre IMO.

How about that kid Willis? That kid has a serious arm from the left side. His arm is living up to his potential. How come Sox pitching prospects can't do the same? It seems that Sox prospects are overhyped in the minors. To often I read minor league scouting reports on a rookie pitcher that say he consistantly throws in the mid-90's only to seem hi struggle to keep it in the low-90's. Or that he has great control only to see him constantly fall behind in the count and walk hitters. Or have a great breaking ball only to see him hang it and not be able to throw it consistantly for strikes. ECT. When you look at Willis and his stuff you see a future front of the rotation starter. I never got that feeling with guys like Garland, Wright, and even Wells.

Right now, we are without a true leadoff hitter. We have a great #2 hitter doing that job. I think that adding Pierre and his incredible speed could be the key. It will get speed on base a lot of the time, and if Manuel gives him the OK to steal whenever he feels he can(which is what I'd do if I was Jerry), or if he atleast has him steal quite a bit, it would put pressure on the pitcher to make sure a strike is thrown so that Jimenez can't capitalize on the situation and bring him home. He would then start seeing more fastballs, which would mean good things. Thomas would then come up, and he'd hopefully just bring in the runs. We'd then have Maggs, Carlos, and who not else after him. We could have 3 or 4 runs after the first a few times.

However, I do realize Pierre is not the long-term answer....just in the short-term. He's signed through 05 if I remember correctly, and by that time, we most likely will not have Carlos and we may not have Maggs....we'll have to see. I could see a potential situation next year where whoever is managing the club realizes that Frank plays better at 1B, which then opens up the DH spot, and Carlos, Maggs, and Borchard then platoon in LF, RF, and DH(with Carlos never playing RF of course), and by the time 2005 rolls around, we let Carlos or Maggs goes....simple as that. Reed then just takes the spot of the departed one(whoever it is), and the platoon continues. After that, Pierre is let go, though if possible, I'd try to get some comp picks for him.

Regarding the last part of your post....I personally feel that if Wright ever gets some good, consistent control, he could be an ace. I actually think he's starting to turn the corner. He's got good stuff, and he's starting to use it. I for some reason feel confident every time he goes out that he'll give us 6 innings or so of decently pitched baseball. I don't always feel that way with Garland. And I didn't see enough of Wells to figure s*** out.