Dog rescue

Steff

Anyone know anyone that has ever used one? We are trying to help get two beagle pups placed and it's not going so well. They are 5 months old and we're trying to keep them together. I've never even inquired and I was just wondering if anyone here has and what kind of experience it was..

TIA.

Aquantances of ours used a grayhound rescue to obtain a dog. It had previous been a racing dog. Well mannered, a little aloof, could be the breed.

From what little I know, there may be a breed rescue. I know some of the less popular breeds have specific rescues set up. I kind of doubt that for a popular, easy to live with breed. I think that's more for big dogs, potentially lethal breeds, etc.

My cousin got her great dane from a rescue, which is actually run by a good friend of the family. If you want, Steff, I can pm you her info. She does great dane and some other kind of rescue (but knows other people in the dog rescue line).

Generally rescue is a great way to go because, most of the time, there's extensive background checking and matching to make sure the people that get the dogs are a good match and will be "life" companions. I'm sure there is a Beagle rescue aroudn Chicago (they seem to be a popular breed). I was actually thinking of going through a German Shephard rescue to get a dog, but another dog came up faster. Generally I consider rescues to be a better option than a shelter/pound.

Edit to add Beagle rescue link: http://adopt-a-beagle.1-800-save-a-pet.com/

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
My cousin got her great dane from a rescue, which is actually run by a good friend of the family. If you want, Steff, I can pm you her info. She does great dane and some other kind of rescue (but knows other people in the dog rescue line).

Generally rescue is a great way to go because, most of the time, there's extensive background checking and matching to make sure the people that get the dogs are a good match and will be "life" companions. I'm sure there is a Beagle rescue aroudn Chicago (they seem to be a popular breed). I was actually thinking of going through a German Shephard rescue to get a dog, but another dog came up faster. Generally I consider rescues to be a better option than a shelter/pound.

Edit to add Beagle rescue link: http://adopt-a-beagle.1-800-save-a-pet.com/

Soxy, thanks for that link. I've looked over a few of them and feel pretty comfortable. I have a few calls in and hope they will call back soon.