Charlie Haeger

jackie hayes

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
I dont know honestly. He warmed up a long time. You could just tell that he was trying to repeat his mechanics very hard. Its kinda hard to explain without acting it. But you could tell he was trying to stay in the same arm slot actively. I think its just not comfortable yet for him.

He looked a little over amped. Its one thing to stay under control infront of 12,000 in KC or Charlotte, but it's got to take a lot of nerve to throw 75 mph to famous guys like Casey Blake and Aaron Boone in front of 40,000 people. Throw the knuckler too hard and it don't knuckle. This guy just needs innings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Charlie for his first ML win today! He retired 10 straight batters and had 5K's and 0 BB's. This is the type of performance he is capable of providing. I think Charlie certainly enhanced his chances of making the club next year. The same role that McCarthy had this year...to transition from AAA to the show and provide insurance as a back up starter in case anybody goes down with an injury.

Great job today Charlie! Very impressive!

QUOTE(TLAK @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
He looked a little over amped. Its one thing to stay under control infront of 12,000 in KC or Charlotte, but it's got to take a lot of nerve to throw 75 mph to famous guys like Casey Blake and Aaron Boone in front of 40,000 people. Throw the knuckler too hard and it don't knuckle. This guy just needs innings.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
Congratulations to Charlie for his first ML win today! He retired 10 straight batters and had 5K's and 0 BB's. This is the type of performance he is capable of providing. I think Charlie certainly enhanced his chances of making the club next year. The same role that McCarthy had this year...to transition from AAA to the show and provide insurance as a back up starter in case anybody goes down with an injury.

Great job today Charlie! Very impressive!

He couldn't have asked for better conditions to pitch in. Lots of hummidity.

I think Charlie is making a strong case to be the replacement for BMac as the long reliefer and spot starter for next year. He is showing some versatility having been a starter all year and now pitching out of the bullpen on successive days. This guy is a proven winner (28-11 over last two years) and he is showing that he can be successful against ML hitters. He was very impressive today.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
I man love him more. :wub:

Cooper mentioned that Charlie may start as a replacement for Buerhle on Friday in Minnesota. Cooper also said that they may move up the current rotation and use Charlie out of the pen. As Cooper stated, they want to see him as much as possible over the next week. Pitching from the bullpen would provide the coaching staff and braintrust additional data for next year.

I personally would like to see him start as he has all year in Charlotte. What's impressive is that he's only given up one earned run since his Sept call up, especially while being used out of the pen! I agree with Ozzie that Charlie's future is as a starter, but it may make sense for him to assume BMac's role in 2007 and act as a safety net in case BMac or another starter falters or is injured.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
I think Charlie is making a strong case to be the replacement for BMac as the long reliefer and spot starter for next year. He is showing some versatility having been a starter all year and now pitching out of the bullpen on successive days. This guy is a proven winner (28-11 over last two years) and he is showing that he can be successful against ML hitters. He was very impressive today.

The Last 14 Batters Charlie has faced none of them have reached base, and he has struck out 7. It seems he can handle the BP, and hopefully will make a great addition to the white sox for years to come. Im still not against him being in the rotation next year along with McCarthy and dealing two of our starters.

Oh and congrats to your first ML Save you already have as many as Scott Protor in 7 less atempts.

Edited by beautox

I don't understand the skepticism regarding Charlie. He has proven that he's a winner at AA and AAA the past two years. He has led the organization in wins during that period....so what if he throws a knuckler! He has been terrific since his recent call up and deserves strong consideration for a spot on the team next year. If you just look at the stats, most people would have him slated for a rotation spot next year.

He deserves a lot of credit to rebound after his May appearance where he was obviously very nervous. All he has done is pick himself up and continue to win at the AAA level, leading the league in wins. Upon his return he has been tremendous out of the BP...again unfamiliar territory since he was a starter all year. I wonder what people would be saying about him if he had BP numbers like BMac or Logan......

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
The 15th batter will now reach base thanks to the above post.

How many Knucklers have there been that have pitched out of the BP? I really have not seen too much of Haeger, so you all will have to let me know. How well does he hold runners on? Isn't it usually pretty easy to steal on a knuckler? I would think that would be bad for a reliever. I suppose that if he gets put into the BP next year, they will probably not put him in situations with runners already on base.

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm looking forward to seeing Chuck a lot these next 4 games. Like i said when his pitch is on its filthy, and from hearing Coop's words its encouraging that he might be with the white sox for the future.

his knuckler is very filthy, and he has shown signs of being able to pitch to major league batters.

He actually has a pretty decent move to first base for a righty. He did a good job holding the runner on base Wednesday night allowing Stewart to throw a guy out trying to steal. Wakefield started out of the pen when he came to Boston...he actually was a closer for them for a while! If Charlie can keep his walks down, he'll be a real asset out of the pen next year...unless they move him into a starting role!

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
I don't understand the skepticism regarding Charlie. He has proven that he's a winner at AA and AAA the past two years. He has led the organization in wins during that period....so what if he throws a knuckler! He has been terrific since his recent call up and deserves strong consideration for a spot on the team next year. If you just look at the stats, most people would have him slated for a rotation spot next year.

He deserves a lot of credit to rebound after his May appearance where he was obviously very nervous. All he has done is pick himself up and continue to win at the AAA level, leading the league in wins. Upon his return he has been tremendous out of the BP...again unfamiliar territory since he was a starter all year. I wonder what people would be saying about him if he had BP numbers like BMac or Logan......