Guillen open to Sweeney in LF

beautox

Yeah, and Brian Anderson is our CF. 2 minutes after Ozzie says that, Mack is playing in CF for 3 out of 5 games.

This is more of a ploy to get his wittle speed guy motivated. He has no real plans of using Sweeney in the lineup. He will play him once or twice, and then bury him.

I'll eat my hat if Sweeney starts in LF before the Twins clinch the Wild Card.

Mackowiak has been the obvious choice for LF for months now, yet he has, what, zero(?) starts in LF.

Unless you're a pop-gun-hitting speedster, or Timo Perez, who lead off 10 times last season, Ozzie's not leading you off. It's probably Ozzie's biggest flaw as a manager.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)
I'll eat my hat if Sweeney starts in LF before the Twins clinch the Wild Card.

Mackowiak has been the obvious choice for LF for months now, yet he has, what, zero(?) starts in LF.

Unless you're a pop-gun-hitting speedster, or Timo Perez, who lead off 10 times last season, Ozzie's not leading you off. It's probably Ozzie's biggest flaw as a manager.

Cheat look what the rumor in the paper is today. The latest is we will replace our weak hitting hitting LF with an older version of him in Dave Roberts in the offseason. Just start Sweeney next year, or Mack or a Mack/Ozuna platoon. Ozzie has a facination with the Marlin Juan Pierre type. I am surprised that he doesnt attempt to get KW to pick up that pile of dung in the offseason.

Garbage. Anyone but Pods should be starting. Pods would be on the Royals bench right now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 01:45 AM)
Cheat look what the rumor in the paper is today. The latest is we will replace our weak hitting hitting LF with an older version of him in Dave Roberts in the offseason. Just start Sweeney next year, or Mack or a Mack/Ozuna platoon. Ozzie has a facination with the Marlin Juan Pierre type. I am surprised that he doesnt attempt to get KW to pick up that pile of dung in the offseason.

Garbage. Anyone but Pods should be starting. Pods would be on the Royals bench right now.

I saw it. It's on my site, though I didn't post it thinking that if I ignore it, it will go away.

Pods is going to go one of two ways. He's either going to be out of baseball within 2 years, maybe sooner, or he's going to perform another amazing transformation once he leaves the Sox this season. He seems to most motivated immediately after a club gives up on him.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 07:27 AM)
I am 99.9% sure Sweeney will get plenty of playing time. If he wasn't, he would have never been called up. You don't just call up top prospects so they can just sit on the bench and watch, even if it is September call-ups.

You would think that, but it is Ozzie we are talking about. His fascination with guys who flat out suck, coupled with his blatant mistrust of young players, and his inability to look beyond his "match-ups", give me all the reason in the world to believe that Sweeney will get a spot-start here and there over the rest of this month and that's it. His lineup last night all but guaranteed a loss....and quite frankly, I am tired of "tipping my cap" to the competition. Lets start putting a real f***ing baseball team out there....

Miguel Cabrera, a late call-up, helped the Marlins when Ozzie was there. Frankly, it'd be stupid not to give Sweeney some AB's. I just hope he doesn't get in there, get his hits, and then get replaced with Podsednik because "he's our guy". f*** that s***. Get some juice into the line-up...some guys that will fight with their life to keep just a spot on the team, let alone a starting spot.

Edited by BobDylan

I was wondering if someoe who has seen Sweeney play, or read some scouting reports could give me some specifics on him. Such as..........

1) What is his on base percentage?

2) Is he patient at the plate and good at fighting off pitches and taking walks?

3) Is he quick out of the box?

4) How is his speed compared to Pods?

5) When stealing bases, is he a "JOLT" from the get-go, or does it take him a while to get it going,

because the frst step in stealing is probably the most important.

6) Is he more of a power hitter, or scrappy like some players on Minnesota ?

7) Does he strike out a lot, or is he more of a contact guy?

I know it's a lot of questions, and would require a long reply, but obviously him and Fields look to be our future, so in reality, these questions that I pose, really pertain to both. Would appreciate any/all info that can be given on these guys whether they pertain to the above questions, or anything else you may wish to add. Anything can always happen differently in the Majors than what they did in AAA, but would just like to know what to look for in these guys, and be abe to pass along your input to some guys at work who have been asking many specifics on both of them. Thanks!!

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
You would think that, but it is Ozzie we are talking about. His fascination with guys who flat out suck, coupled with his blatant mistrust of young players, and his inability to look beyond his "match-ups", give me all the reason in the world to believe that Sweeney will get a spot-start here and there over the rest of this month and that's it. His lineup last night all but guaranteed a loss....and quite frankly, I am tired of "tipping my cap" to the competition. Lets start putting a real f***ing baseball team out there....

that's true. It's not like he trusted a rookie to close out World Series games or anything.

QUOTE(Rooftop Shots @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
I was wondering if someoe who has seen Sweeney play, or read some scouting reports could give me some specifics on him. Such as..........

2) Is he patient at the plate and good at fighting off pitches and taking walks?

5) When stealing bases, is he a "JOLT" from the get-go, or does it take him a while to get it going,

I know it's a lot of questions, and would require a long reply, but obviously him and Fields look to be our future, so in reality, these questions that I pose, really pertain to both. Would appreciate any/all info that can be given on these guys whether they pertain to the above questions, or anything else you may wish to add. Anything can always happen differently in the Majors than what they did in AAA, but would just like to know what to look for in these guys, and be abe to pass along your input to some guys at work who have been asking many specifics on both of them. Thanks!!

Here's how I'll answer it.... Podsednik is .143/.273/.214 in the first inning since the All-Star break. None of the rest of that s*** matters when he's never on base.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
that's true. It's not like he trusted a rookie to close out World Series games or anything.

Oh please....give me the other options he had?? Brokeback Hermanson? Jenks getting in there was a no brainer....Especially given how he had handled the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, Brian continues to look stellar in CF, puts up great numbers since the ASB at the plate and yet Mack still gets 1/3 of the starts....explain that one....

Get off of last year, its a different season.

QUOTE(Rooftop Shots @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)

1. Sweeney's OBP this year in AAA is .350. His career OBP in the minors is .352. His high is in the .380s.

3. That I can't answer

4. His numbers suggest he's a step slower than Pods (post-injury pods). He can steal a base, but not well.

5. You don't bat Ryan Sweeney leadoff for stolen bases.

6. Currently, he is hitting .296 with 25 doubles and 12 home runs in a hitters park in AAA. He's still very young, but he has a very sweet swing. He would at his best be an ideal #3 hitter, high average, home runs in the 20's-30's if everything develops as we hope power-wise. Right now, he's probably a decent average, lots of doubles hitter. I'd guess a healthy BObby Crosby might be a best-case comparison for where he is now, a worst-case comparison I dunno, maybe a Scott Podsednik.

7. 73 strikeouts in 450 at bats this year for Sweeney. 88 in 460 at bats for Podsednik.

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
Oh please....give me the other options he had?? Brokeback Hermanson? Jenks getting in there was a no brainer....Especially given how he had handled the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, Brian continues to look stellar in CF, puts up great numbers since the ASB at the plate and yet Mack still gets 1/3 of the starts....explain that one....

Get off of last year, its a different season.

And a majority of the starts against righties. Including 4 of the recent 7 games against the Tigers and Twins.

Personally my best case scenario, is to sign 1 year stopgap leadoff hitter for LF, and let Sweeney develop for another season at AAA.

We all know he's got a better swing than Brian Anderson, but after see Brian's start to the season, you shouldn't expect Sweeney to hit .270/.280 with a .350 OBP from the get go.

But if he gets some AB's now, and produces, well the Sox may decide "we'll give him LF for the next 5 seasons" and trade Pods in the off-season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 01:35 AM)
1. Sweeney's OBP this year in AAA is .350. His career OBP in the minors is .352. His high is in the .380s.

3. That I can't answer

4. His numbers suggest he's a step slower than Pods (post-injury pods). He can steal a base, but not well.

5. You don't bat Ryan Sweeney leadoff for stolen bases.

6. Currently, he is hitting .296 with 25 doubles and 12 home runs in a hitters park in AAA. He's still very young, but he has a very sweet swing. He would at his best be an ideal #3 hitter, high average, home runs in the 20's-30's if everything develops as we hope power-wise. Right now, he's probably a decent average, lots of doubles hitter. I'd guess a healthy BObby Crosby might be a best-case comparison for where he is now, a worst-case comparison I dunno, maybe a Scott Podsednik.

7. 73 strikeouts in 450 at bats this year for Sweeney. 88 in 460 at bats for Podsednik.

And a majority of the starts against righties. Including 4 of the recent 7 games against the Tigers and Twins.

Thank You! It gives me somethings to look for if/when he ever plays regularly in the future.