Sox Lose Series to KC 9/3/06

Texsox

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
If we raped our farm system and got very little to show for it, then that's bad managment. That Javier Vazquez sucks balls isn't Ozzie's fault. That Vazquez is on the team isn't Ozzie's fault, either.

It's easy to criticize now. I get that. But I totally get where Kenny was coming from before the season. We had a pitching staff that pitched a s*** load of innings in 2005. He wanted another 'proven' arm in there. And how is Ozzie not at fault for the way he's used Javy at times?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Screw the bad managing. We're an average team at best.

Two halfway reliable starters. OK pretty reliable starters.

Average to bad bullpen.

Good closer.

No team speed.

Bad season from a key player (Pods, Uribe)

We are what we are. Not very good right now.

Who's our 2nd reliable starter?

And all these things you listed were evident in June and July, when something could have been done about it.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
Defensively? LOL.

Our infield is solid enough defensively to "survive" with Tejada's average defense. If we play Anderson 140 games in CF, and get a new LF, our defense will be just fine.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
Melton just mentioned that Pods is 2nd in baseball at taking a 3rd strike. I don't know if I'm more surprised he's still considered a lead-off man, or that someone has actually been caught looking more. BTW, Papi is back on Tuesday.

I'd bet that Abreu is first. Phillies fans used to get on him all the time about taking called 3rd.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Melton just mentioned that Pods is 2nd in baseball at taking a 3rd strike. I don't know if I'm more surprised he's still considered a lead-off man, or that someone has actually been caught looking more. BTW, Papi is back on Tuesday.

Did he say who #1 is? I suspect that it is not a lead off man.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
It's easy to criticize now. I get that. But I totally get where Kenny was coming from before the season. We had a pitching staff that pitched a s*** load of innings in 2005. He wanted another 'proven' arm in there. And how is Ozzie not at fault for the way he's used Javy at times?

If we're looking at rationale and reasoning for the move, then I agree that it was good thinking. I don't have any qualms about giving up prospect for veteran players, especially if the team can support a large payroll. But the guy he picked (Vazquez) was a bad idea, and he's the one that picked him.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
Awesome! We could really use another average defender and underachieving kid with dominant stuff. :bang

I'd take an average defender that more than makes up for it with his bat, has a great aproach at the plate, and wants to be on a contender, and a underachieving kid *who KW tried to aquire this past trade deadline, because Coop has identified something that Mazone hasnt* ala Matt Thornton, than a slick fielding short stop that was tought he has to hit off the island but can't hit for long periods of time.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
This team just isn't that good. That simple. When you add that to having an absolute horrid manager, well these are the results.

This was the first game I've watched with my brother in a long time, and he said this after a terrible AJP bat in the 5th or 6th "WE'RE AWFUL!" It's sad to say, but it's true. We had to get lucky to win 3 out of 6 against the Royals and DRays.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
Particularly since the primary job of the lead off man are to put the ball in play and get on base.

And the primary job of a "speed" hitter is to make sure he makes contact and puts pressure on the defense. Juan Pierre might have mediocre numbers, but I will gladly take him on this team and put him in LF next year if it means no Pods.

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
I'd take an average defender that more than makes up for it with his bat, has a great aproach at the plate, and wants to be on a contender, and a underachieving kid *who KW tried to aquire this past trade deadline, because Coop has identified something that Mazone hasnt* ala Matt Thornton, than a slick fielding short stop that was tought he has to hit off the island but can't hit for long periods of time.

I'm not saying Uribe's the answer, but with our pitching staff, I'd rather have a slick fielding/speedy SS than Tejada. SS is definitely a position that needs to be upgraded, but Tejada just adds to our problems. Our offense isn't the problem. It's the f***in pitching!!! Cooper can't work magic with everyone. Cabrera = Vazquez without the early success in Montreal. IMO, a move like that take 2 steps backward to make 1 forward.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
This was the first game I've watched with my brother in a long time, and he said this after a terrible AJP bat in the 5th or 6th "WE'RE AWFUL!" It's sad to say, but it's true. We had to get lucky to win 3 out of 6 against the Royals and DRays.

It's amazing to me how good the AL is this year. This is the first time in years that I've actually feared the Royals and D-rays. If either could ever find some decent arms (D-rays got lucky with Kazmir), they'll both be real good.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
I'm not saying Uribe's the answer, but with our pitching staff, I'd rather have a slick fielding/speedy SS than Tejada. SS is definitely a position that needs to be upgraded, but Tejada just adds to our problems. Our offense isn't the problem. It's the f***in pitching!!! Cooper can't work magic with everyone. Cabrera = Vazquez without the early success in Montreal. IMO, a move like that take 2 steps backward to make 1 forward.

We're going to have to upgrade our offense. We have a lot of aging players, and we can't expect guys like Dye and Thome to match their numbers next season. Hopefully we'll get a boost from a new LF. Arguing about Tejada is pointless though, as we don't have anything they'd realistically want that we'd give up.

I would say Ozzie has done some really stupid things this year, but I don't think that makes him a bad manager overall. Kenny has done some bad moves (or non-moves) this year, but I consider him a really good GM. We have some bad players on this team, but the overall talent level is still very good. This is what happens if a team comes up short from making the playoffs.