Sox Lose Series to KC 9/3/06

Texsox

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
How long until Miguel Cabrera is a free agent? He just said he cried tears of joy when Ozzie won the WS. It might be worth a couple of years of ridiculous moves if the Sox had a shot at signing him.

Yep, I've been saying that all along. He's going to get a ridiculous contract though.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
It's amazing to me how good the AL is this year. This is the first time in years that I've actually feared the Royals and D-rays. If either could ever find some decent arms (D-rays got lucky with Kazmir), they'll both be real good.

The lineup that KC had was better than ours last night, I'm convinced of that. Tampa's lineup sucked on Thursday though, and that should have been a sweep.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
I would say Ozzie has done some really stupid things this year, but I don't think that makes him a bad manager overall. Kenny has done some bad moves (or non-moves) this year, but I consider him a really good GM. We have some bad players on this team, but the overall talent level is still very good. This is what happens if a team comes up short from making the playoffs.

The thing is that Ozzie continuely makes the same dumb moves. No one things Mack should play CF, not even Mack himself. He's been awful out there all season, and he could really be used in LF instead. Instead, Ozzie continues to play his retarded match-up games that never work and trot Mack out there for GG-caliber Anderson.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
How long until Miguel Cabrera is a free agent? He just said he cried tears of joy when Ozzie won the WS. It might be worth a couple of years of ridiculous moves if the Sox had a shot at signing him.

We've still got 2 more years if I'm not mistaken and seeing how he's basically minny Manny, I expect him to get Manny money.

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
I'd take an average defender that more than makes up for it with his bat, has a great aproach at the plate, and wants to be on a contender, and a underachieving kid *who KW tried to aquire this past trade deadline, because Coop has identified something that Mazone hasnt* ala Matt Thornton, than a slick fielding short stop that was tought he has to hit off the island but can't hit for long periods of time.

That key one row below and midway between the "l" and the";" looks like "." when you press it - I recommend its use.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
We're going to have to upgrade our offense. We have a lot of aging players, and we can't expect guys like Dye and Thome to match their numbers next season. Hopefully we'll get a boost from a new LF. Arguing about Tejada is pointless though, as we don't have anything they'd realistically want that we'd give up.

We can't expect guys like Dye to match their numbers next season...but that's only because Dye has been so good. Thome, I could still see putting up similar numbers, all he needs to do is avoid major injuries. On top of that, hopefully we'll get improvement from Anderson, which will help as well. And it's not that bad to go from being the #1 to the #3 or #4 offense in the AL. We could get by with that easily...IF we get some damn pitching.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
We can't expect guys like Dye to match their numbers next season...but that's only because Dye has been so good. Thome, I could still see putting up similar numbers, all he needs to do is avoid major injuries. On top of that, hopefully we'll get improvement from Anderson, which will help as well. And it's not that bad to go from being the #1 to the #3 or #4 offense in the AL. We could get by with that easily...IF we get some damn pitching.

The pitching in the AL Central is only going to continue to get better though as guys like Liriano, Sowers, etc. continue to blossom. We definitely have to upgrade our lineup against tough lefties though.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:39 PM)
If we don't sweep boston, then we have no excuse to not have won this series

We're not going to sweep Boston. However, we can look forward to Garcia's next game being against the Indians, and they've made him their b**** this season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
We're going to have to upgrade our offense. We have a lot of aging players, and we can't expect guys like Dye and Thome to match their numbers next season. Hopefully we'll get a boost from a new LF. Arguing about Tejada is pointless though, as we don't have anything they'd realistically want that we'd give up.

That's why Soriano would have been perfect. I really hope we dump Garcia and Vazquez this off-season, follow the Yanks model, and re-invest that money into the offense.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
That's why Soriano would have been perfect. I really hope we dump Garcia and Vazquez this off-season, follow the Yanks model, and re-invest that money into the offense.

I would have been all for trading McCarthy for Soriano if we would have extended Soriano's contract on that day.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
The pitching in the AL Central is only going to continue to get better though as guys like Liriano, Sowers, etc. continue to blossom. We definitely have to upgrade our lineup against tough lefties though.

First, add McCarthy to your list too.

And second, there's still no guarantee that these guys are going to come out and be dominant from the start, and able to hold everything together and stay healthy. It's entirely possible that we might be seeing peak years from some of these guys who've dominated this season, just as the White Sox got peak years out of a couple guys last year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
I would have been all for trading McCarthy for Soriano if we would have extended Soriano's contract on that day.

If we had Boston Red Sox money to play with, and a replacement righty in our system somewhere, I'd agree. But at some point, having that young righty is going to be ungodly valuable. Next year it'll be the difference between a $50 million pitching staff and a $40 million pitching staff, if nothing else.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Good, I disagree with fathom again. It's been far too long. :P

You know I've been clamoring for McCarthy to permanently join the rotation since about a year ago. However, Ozzie Guillen isn't a fan of his, and I'll believe we trade one of his buddies like Vazquez or Garcia when it really happens. Until then, I'll keep believing that McCarthy is on the outside looking in.

If the team that will produce one of the top 5 records in Sox history sucks this bad, what about the rest of them? It would be amazing to know if those teams could even tie their own shoes. I'll agree, Ozzie is probably the worst manager in Sox history to manage a team to the World Series.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
If the team that will produce one of the top 5 records in Sox history sucks this bad, what about the rest of them? It would be amazing to know if those teams could even tie their own shoes. I'll agree, Ozzie is probably the worst manager in Sox history to manage a team to the World Series.

The thing is that this team has a payroll over 30% higher than any in White Sox history (I realize this is only relevent for modern era) and is coming off a World Series title with a seemingly improved roster. They are sucking bad in regards to our high but warranted expectations.

^^^^^^^^^^

Payroll numbers are misleading based on things like Thome's contract, where the Sox aren't picking up the whole tab. I'd like to see someone give the actual net cash payroll for each team.

I don't see where payroll makes a difference. Would we be in love with this team if we knew the team was making a bigger profit with a lower payroll?

Who's our 2nd reliable starter? And all these things you listed were evident in June and July, when something could have been done about it.

I said halfway reliable starters we have two (Jon and Mark).

Yes all those things were evident in June and KW could have done something about

it. How is that Oz's fault.

Rather than blame Ozzie which is the easy way out IMO, I personally don't think

our team is pennant caliber when our starters are average to below average.

Face facts. Our bullpen sucks with the exception of Jenks. Our starters have been

s*** with the exception of Jon; despite the BA love, he has not been a productive

hitter; Pods has been terrible. Uribe hasn't hit s*** this season.

AJ has been pretty good.

That leaves us with the four studs Dye, Thome, Konerko, Crede.

They have had powerful years with the bat, but unable to carry a team with

no starting pitching and a weak bullpen.

Pitching always has been the name of the game. We ain't got it this year

and HOW IS THAT OZZIE'S FAULT????

I love Oz. Go Sox!

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
I said halfway reliable starters we have two (Jon and Mark).

Yes all those things were evident in June and KW could have done something about

it. How is that Oz's fault.

Rather than blame Ozzie which is the easy way out IMO, I personally don't think

our team is pennant caliber when our starters are average to below average.

Face facts. Our bullpen sucks with the exception of Jenks. Our starters have been

s*** with the exception of Jon; despite the BA love, he has not been a productive

hitter; Pods has been terrible. Uribe hasn't hit s*** this season.

AJ has been pretty good.

That leaves us with the four studs Dye, Thome, Konerko, Crede.

They have had powerful years with the bat, but unable to carry a team with

no starting pitching and a weak bullpen.

Pitching always has been the name of the game. We ain't got it this year

and HOW IS THAT OZZIE'S FAULT????

I love Oz. Go Sox!

These are not facts especially seeing how MacDougal and Thornton are 2 of the better setupmen in all of basebal.

Watching Wilfredo Ledezma pitch tonight is so freakin' frustrating.

These situations aren't totally, 100% identical, but they're fairly comparable. Leyland had a starter in Zack Miner who had performed reasonably well for most of the year. He also had another starter in Ledezma who had been bounced between AAA and the majors, and who had performed well at both places. Leyland didn't get all sentimental w/r/t Miner when the decision came to bump Miner out of the rotation and Ledezma in; it was made as soon as it was obvious to everyone that Ledezma was a better option than Miner.

In Freddy Garcia, we pretty much know what we're going to get at this point in the season. At best, he can give the team seven innings of two-to-three runs, meaning a good start, but by no means a dominant one. At worst, he gives up close to a run per inning. Basically, you have his August -- one good start, one decent start, and a bunch of mediocre to bad starts.

Now, I know that recently Brandon's two recent outings haven't instilled a whole lot of confidence in people. And, to that, I say this: I don't think BMac is going to adjust to pitching in the bullpen. Over the past three months, in outings where McCarthy has pitched two or more innings, he has given up a total of four ER in those appearances. Those appearances, BTW, covered close to 30 innings pitched (I think it's 28 right on the button).

And don't tell me that McCarthy isn't stretched out, either. I know that if McCarthy were to take Garcia's next scheduled start, he could give the team at least four-to-six innings. After that, you play the matchups and use Haeger/Logan/Riske/Cotts to get you to the seventh.