justin morneau's great quote

shawnhillegas

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
"I just want to win," he said. "I'll do anything to not let Chicago get into the playoffs. That's all that matters. Obviously, we're still trying to chase Detroit, but you'd almost rather see anybody go in other than Chicago. If I can help us do that, that's the only thing that matters to me."

BULLETIN.BOARD.MATERIAL.

If Ozzie let's opposing players on rival teams say that s***, and no attitude change is made by the White Sox, then it's horrible.

They better win like friggin 8 in a row now.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
Isn't it ironic that for all the rest Ozzie has given his regular players, he has given his starting pitchers none?

I wouldn't say it's ironic. I'd say it's friggin dumb.

But yet, it is a little bit ironic. They are his horses, they are his most important players...and they don't rest until the Sox are doneskees.

In the same way twins and their fans hate the white sox, I hate the f***ing twins, always have, always will. The whole lot of em. You too justin, you piece of s***. Thanks for adding fuel to the eternal flame.

I hope you cry in the dugout the day you're eliminated.

I hope Bert circles you when Joey puts his arm around your shoulder to console you. Then you two can go back to the apartment you share and listen to K-Fed and drink white zinfandel on ice.

Because losers should stick together, Justin. Always.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 02:24 AM)
If only a few Sox players would bring that sort of passion to the game.

Which guys on the sox can you name that don't have that passion?! The numbers I bet are very few, if any. Even Freddy who gets p.o.ed at his teammates has passion to win

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 03:04 AM)
Isn't it ironic that for all the rest Ozzie has given his regular players, he has given his starting pitchers none?

How often do teams skip a guy's spot in the rotation just to give a guy a rest?

The SP's have almost certainly pitched fewer innings than last year at this point. I'd be interested in the numbers [though the innings eaten by the bullpen when el Duque threw shouldn't count]. Most guys haven't gone as deep into games this yr. that, IMO, counts as a "rest".

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
It's stupid, letting the starters go 6-7-8 innings a game. And not only is he burning out the starters, but the bullpen will suffer from a lack of work.

Yea, no team in baseball lets their starters go 6-7-8 innings a game. No team at all! Really!!!

Yes, Ozzie keeps his starters in for too long, but saying "it's stupid, letting starters go 6-7-8 innings a game" is completely wrong. The point of a starter is to have them go 6-7-8 innings a game, not to take them out at 5 innings and say nice work.

Whether or not the pitcher should be left in the additional inning (ala Freddy, Javy) is a different case all together, and that decision should be made while watching the game, not by generalizing about past starts.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 07:09 AM)
Which guys on the sox can you name that don't have that passion?! The numbers I bet are very few, if any. Even Freddy who gets p.o.ed at his teammates has passion to win

How often do teams skip a guy's spot in the rotation just to give a guy a rest?

The SP's have almost certainly pitched fewer innings than last year at this point. I'd be interested in the numbers [though the innings eaten by the bullpen when el Duque threw shouldn't count]. Most guys haven't gone as deep into games this yr. that, IMO, counts as a "rest".

White Sox starters lead MLB in innings pitched. These are the same starters KW was so worried about after last year's workload that he had 6 starters on the roster for a rest. They haven't gotten that rest and have not been very good.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
Yea, no team in baseball lets their starters go 6-7-8 innings a game. No team at all! Really!!!

Yes, Ozzie keeps his starters in for too long, but saying "it's stupid, letting starters go 6-7-8 innings a game" is completely wrong. The point of a starter is to have them go 6-7-8 innings a game, not to take them out at 5 innings and say nice work.

Whether or not the pitcher should be left in the additional inning (ala Freddy, Javy) is a different case all together, and that decision should be made while watching the game, not by generalizing about past starts.

I just wish Ozzie would be more proactive with the pitchers than reactive. For instance, its almost a given that Vazquez is going to piss his pants in the 6th inning. If the Sox have a 4 or 5 run lead its one thing, if the game is tied or its a 1 or 2 run lead, why wait until the first 2 guys get on base to yank him? Have someone else start the inning.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
White Sox starters lead MLB in innings pitched. These are the same starters KW was so worried about after last year's workload that he had 6 starters on the roster for a rest. They haven't gotten that rest and have not been very good.

Everyone [except Jose] is projected to pitch less innings this yr than last. Jose threw 204 innings and is on par for 205.

2005 innings projected 2006

Jon-221 205

MB-236 216

Freddy-228 213

KW had 6 SP's this yr in case someone went down, not to give guy's a rest. No teams give their SP's a breather during the yr, unless a guy is hurt.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
Everyone [except Jose] is projected to pitch less innings this yr than last. Jose threw 204 innings and is on par for 205.

2005 innings projected 2006

Jon-221 205

MB-236 216

Freddy-228 213

KW had 6 SP's this yr in case someone went down, not to give guy's a rest. No teams give their SP's a breather during the yr, unless a guy is hurt.

He stated numerous times that guys may need a break because of the workload last year, and that McCarthy would fill in when they needed that couple weeks off. This year's totals may be down a little but add that to last season's plus the postseason, and remember White Sox starters still lead the league in innings pitched this season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 03:04 AM)

For everyone that b****es about the starters pitching too much (and there is a good case here...) ask yourself why... it's because the pen's not much better. Our pitching all the way around is the problem, and we're just trying to get through games right now.

The good news is, so is everyone else.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
It should be bulletin board material but I dont think anyone can blame him. Id want my team to say stuff like that.

You'd want your team to say "It's OK for one of our rivals to get into the playoffs, but not the other," ?

In essence, what Morneau is saying is that he'd be pissed if Chicago won the division and Minnesota won the Wild Card, or vice versa. He wants Detroit and Minnesota in the playoffs out of the AL.

If I'm a manager, I don't want my player saying anything like that. Any given spark can set off a fire that cannot be stopped(that sounds really, really, really cliche)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
You'd want your team to say "It's OK for one of our rivals to get into the playoffs, but not the other," ?

In essence, what Morneau is saying is that he'd be pissed if Chicago won the division and Minnesota won the Wild Card, or vice versa. He wants Detroit and Minnesota in the playoffs out of the AL.

If I'm a manager, I don't want my player saying anything like that. Any given spark can set off a fire that cannot be stopped(that sounds really, really, really cliche)

Bingo. It sounds to me llike something a 9 year old would say. Basically, he'd be ok with the Twins not making it as long as the Sox don't make it either. Tool.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Bingo. It sounds to me llike something a 9 year old would say. Basically, he'd be ok with the Twins not making it as long as the Sox don't make it either. Tool.

I just hope the Sox catch wind of it and Ozzie makes a huge deal out of it. That is something that can trigger excitement and momentum, cuz this team could take whatever it needs. 1 of these 3 teams is bound to start playing better this week - I just hope it's the Sox and not the Twins.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
For everyone that b****es about the starters pitching too much (and there is a good case here...) ask yourself why... it's because the pen's not much better. Our pitching all the way around is the problem, and we're just trying to get through games right now.

The good news is, so is everyone else.

Ozzie has no idea how to use a good long man.

The back of the pen has been fine all year, and BMac alone could have bridged the gap to them.

I think about 90% of us on here know that the season is going to come down to that final series in Minny. We will really see how bad this team wants that title again during that final weekend. And yes its coming really soon. So as far as Morneau goes.. if his biggest 'goal' is to eliminate us from a playoff birth he should get out of baseball. Yea its okay to hate your rival teams. However, every players #1 goal should be to win the World Series. What a shmuck. Bring it on sucka!