Lonelygirl15

Gene Honda Civic

I know that I can't be the only person here who's been drawn into her web.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about. Here's a quick synopsis.

Lonelygirl15 appears to be a young (claims to be 16) girl who posts video blogs on YouTube from her suburban bedroom. At first, she appeared to be just another face in the crowd, albiet a strikingly pretty, seemingly innocent, face. But as the videos have unfolded, there has been a deep and layered storyline developing. Among the plot points are overprotective parents, a secretive religion, and an unrequited crush from her friend and 'editor' Daniel.

The series of videos now has more people believing they are fake, putting on a show, than actually believe this is a real collection of video diaries of a 16 year-old girl. The search for the truth has lead to forums being created, and stories in the LA and NY Times.

So who else here has been watching these things? What's going on here?

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

I recognize her face only because when I browse Youtube, I'll click the option which broadcasts top videos within a week. Her diaries are frequently listed near the top. Never bothered to watch any of her video diaries, until now.

Just finished "Swimming." Don't see what the intrigue is. Girl obviously has emotional problems, as this paritcular videoclip opens up with a wide-eyed expression and details of someone fulfilling a promise of swimming. She, apparently, also takes joy in killing insects with her flip-flops. Daniel --her male companion-- is the equivalent of a gay friend who'll never get with her, but with whom she uses for emotion support and techinal issues re: video production.

What's stranger than the girl herself is the responses. People actually create videos to address her. Cheat, have you seen this

? I'd be afraid.

I just viewed all of them and idonno... sometimes it seems pretty fake but than sometimes not. Really curious about the whole religion crap though. Also where is the video Daniel posted about her dad and saying how messed up her religion was.

nm i scrolled down some.

Edited by SoxFan101

I have never heard of this and I didnt watch them now but from what Im reading it sounds very interesting. I wouldnt it put this past anyone to be a publicity stunt for something though. If it is all true then its a little sad and her parents are nuts. But she is more then likely embelishing.

They are way too professionally done and edited to be done by a 16 year old girl and her 'editor' I believe I read somewhere that the lighting is way too perfectly set up, even in the first video, to be just another video blog.

And she looks way older than 16.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
They are way too professionally done and edited to be done by a 16 year old girl and her 'editor' I believe I read somewhere that the lighting is way too perfectly set up, even in the first video, to be just another video blog.

And she looks way older than 16.

The part that screamed fake to me was when the other kid made a video talking about how loony her family/religion was. Also Idonno if she is 16 but she looks under 21 for sure to me.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/...e-entertainment

Lonelygirl15 appears to be an innocent, home-schooled 16-year-old, pouring her heart out for her video camera in the privacy of her bedroom. But since May, her brief video posts on the videosharing site YouTube and the social networking hub MySpace have launched a Web mystery eagerly followed by her million-plus viewers: Who is this sheltered ingenue who calls herself "Bree," and is she in some sort of danger -- or, worse, the tool of some giant marketing machine?

No one has publicly come forward to lay claim to her work, but she is starting to look as connected in Hollywood as any starlet. Three lonelygirl-obsessed amateur Web sleuths set up a sting using tracking software that appears to show that e-mails sent from a lonelygirl15 account came from inside the offices of the Beverly Hills-based talent agency Creative Artists Agency.

[...]

in August, three amateur sleuths who met on the discussion boards on lonelygirl15.com hatched a plan to lure lonelygirl to MySpace profiles they had created for the purpose.

They were an 18-year-old Oberlin College freshman, a 36-year old software engineer from Tulsa, Okla., and a 23-year-old law student in Pennsylvania: Shaina Wedmedyk, Chris Patterson, and Jessica (who didn't want to use her last name). On August 29, they sent an e-mail from a profile they had created for "Seth," an imaginary 17-year-old from Ohio. He told lonelygirl, "You seem really cool!! I added you and I hope you will add me back. We have the same interests! Your videos are cool, where do you host them? MySpace?"

Later that day, they received an answer. It read simply, "Hi seth :) I think I added you ... the videos are on youtube. What sort stuff are you into?"

Using the software, the team was able to see that seconds before lonelygirl15 had sent the note, someone had looked at Seth's profile. This visit was the only one the profile had received in 17 hours, suggesting that whoever was at the controls of the lonelygirl MySpace account looked at Seth's page before sending the message.

The IP address of the user who sent the e-mail was the private server of CAA in Beverly Hills.