These Threads are Ludicrous

stretchstretch

I keep reading all these rants about who should be in CF, Mack is pleading to not play CF, BA deserves to start, what inning Garcia comes out, should BMAC replace Garcia or Vasquez, PK and AJ shouldn't be trying to pull everything, and on and on and on, but is Ozzie really any worse than last year? is the offense any worse than last year? all anyone has to do is look at last year's playoffs to see PITCHING and BREAKS, with a little offense sprinkled in, allowed us to win it all.

Pitching: Runs scored by the opposition in the ALDS and ALCS over 8 games: 2,4,3 2,1,2,2,3 and the WS: 3,6,5,0 Starter goes >6, Cotts, Cliff, Bobby, El Duque do the rest, score>5 runs......ball game!! World Series Championship, Ozzie is a Genius

Breaks and critical hits: Graffinino through the legs, Gooch goes long, AJ called third strike, Crede double down the line, JD elbow hit by pitch, PK sitting on first pitch from Qualls, Lidge being spooked from the Pujols experience, Harris punch to left, JD dribbler up the middle

Simply put, we do not have the pitching this year to negate lackluster offensive outings, errors, and managerial mistakes. It's not going to happen again this year, and Ozzie wasn't a genius, it was just one magical year where the baseball gods were smiling upon us. If we're going to get into the playoffs or make a statement in it, it's going to have to be done a different way, because this staff is not going to turn it around in 25 days......

I'd like to see some of the threads from last year during the "choke" phase of the season resurrected. Cleveland was breathing down our neck and we were playing like little leaguers. A lot of people ended eating massive quanities of crow around here. Leopards dont change their spots however and I'm sure the same people crying about the "choke" last year haven't learned a damn thing and are doomin n gloomin it again.

Yes last year was magical and the odds are stacked against it happening again. I suppose its the nature of the beast to cry when things are bad and say " I knew it all along" when things turn around.

Anyone with a positive attitude is ridiculed for drinking kool aid. Jason please resurrect some threads from the heart of the "choke" and remind everyone that just because 95% of the posts say we suck doesn't mean it can't be turned around.

Maybe last season was a once in a lifetime occurence. Negativity is so much easier, it puts you with the "in" crowd. Most of the time you will be right so you get to say " I told you so" . After all you know damn well with one title in 88 years theres no reason to be seeing things through rose colored glasses.

Until we're mathematically eliminated this will by my battlecry :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1:

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
I keep reading all these rants about who should be in CF, Mack is pleading to not play CF, BA deserves to start, what inning Garcia comes out, should BMAC replace Garcia or Vasquez, PK and AJ shouldn't be trying to pull everything, and on and on and on, but is Ozzie really any worse than last year? is the offense any worse than last year? all anyone has to do is look at last year's playoffs to see PITCHING and BREAKS, with a little offense sprinkled in, allowed us to win it all.

Pitching: Runs scored by the opposition in the ALDS and ALCS over 8 games: 2,4,3 2,1,2,2,3 and the WS: 3,6,5,0 Starter goes >6, Cotts, Cliff, Bobby, El Duque do the rest, score>5 runs......ball game!! World Series Championship, Ozzie is a Genius

Breaks and critical hits: Graffinino through the legs, Gooch goes long, AJ called third strike, Crede double down the line, JD elbow hit by pitch, PK sitting on first pitch from Qualls, Lidge being spooked from the Pujols experience, Harris punch to left, JD dribbler up the middle

Simply put, we do not have the pitching this year to negate lackluster offensive outings, errors, and managerial mistakes. It's not going to happen again this year, and Ozzie wasn't a genius, it was just one magical year where the baseball gods were smiling upon us. If we're going to get into the playoffs or make a statement in it, it's going to have to be done a different way, because this staff is not going to turn it around in 25 days......

I'm not a blind optimist, but I think the Sox can win the World Series. If they make the playoffs, they only have to win two consecutive series to repeat as champs. I say two because the NL is so weak and even as bad as the Sox are playing now, they won't lose a series to any NL team.

I believe the Sox don't have to get hot for long, just for two series. Get a handful of quality starts in the ALDS and ALCS and BAM, another parade.

This is why I strongly believe Contreras needs to be put on the DL so he can be rested, a little healthier and ready to give his team 4 Contreras-like starts in the playoffs.

Cortisone is a miracle drug, allowing a hurt pitcher to pitch a complete game shutout the day after taking it. Two weeks of rest + a couple cortisone shots in Contreras's back the day before two of his playoff starts = Contreras's peak performance.

Edited by shoota

This year is TOTALLY different. The comparisons to last year needs to stop. In fact, EVERY year is different. We need to remember last year for what it was, a wonderful memory, and watch this year's team fight for their playoff lives. If they make it, it's a wonderful followup to last year. If they don't, they're still my team.

As far as a ludicrous thread or topic. Answer me this.

Say we rally and win the wild card and then make it to the World Series.

In that case would you approve a lifetime contract for Ozzie?

Would the final result ... another Series berth make you go over the edge

and want Oz to be our skipper for all time?? Or would you still be upset

with him and his playing Mack in cf, and all the other complaints?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
This year is TOTALLY different. The comparisons to last year needs to stop. In fact, EVERY year is different. We need to remember last year for what it was, a wonderful memory, and watch this year's team fight for their playoff lives. If they make it, it's a wonderful followup to last year. If they don't, they're still my team.

Well said.The sox fans that i respect the most think like this.The "WorldSeries HighHorse" needs to wear off some sox fans so they can enjoy a playoff race.

Hell I knew this wasn't 2005 in the first two weeks. I'm not too optimistic about the team, but if we get into the playoffs, all bets are on.

You're right in that we got all the breaks last year, especially in the playoffs, and this year we don't. And the pitching is wobbling back and forth all year.

What's so tough to watch this year and especially of late is that we cannot seem to put any sort of a stretch together. It's like: win one, lose one, week in and week out. At least it seems that way. Just went we could be 3-1/2 down on Detroit, we lose.

So yes all the squabbling aside about other stuff, we live and die on our pitching. And that has not been like last year.

Garland: great second half

Contreras: went from lights-out to okay

Buehrle: went AWOL for like 10 games, now apparently back

Freddy: let's not even go there

Vasquez: um, who?

The only thing that blows my mind is keeping Pods in the lineup at this point, day after day, when he produces nothing.

I've just resigned myself to "what happens, happens" at this point because games like last night are just too painful to get emotional about. On the bright side, it's not as stress-inducing as last year's swoon, but only because we've been scuffling since the ASB.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)

AMEN!!!!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Even with this year's dissapointment looming, I feel pretty good about the rotation of Count, MB, Garland, BMAC, plus whoever we get our hands on.

I hope you are right about that rotation, but somehow, I doubt we get rid of Garcia, thanks to the Ozzie connection. Vazquez maybe. Honestly, I'd rather keep Vazquez around than Garcia - Vaz at least looks like he is trying out there, and doesn't blame the offense for his struggles.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
I hope you are right about that rotation, but somehow, I doubt we get rid of Garcia, thanks to the Ozzie connection. Vazquez maybe. Honestly, I'd rather keep Vazquez around than Garcia - Vaz at least looks like he is trying out there, and doesn't blame the offense for his struggles.

Garcia is 110% GONE! He is done, he will never pitch another inning in a White Sox uniform after this season, that's what happens when you suckass at your job but run your mouth and insult your coworkers. Vazquez on the other hand is KW's baby, he will and should be here next year for sure.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
Garcia is 110% GONE! He is done, he will never pitch another inning in a White Sox uniform after this season, that's what happens when you suckass at your job but run your mouth and insult your teammates anyway. Vazquez on the other hand is KW's baby, he will and should be here next year for sure.

I really hope you are right. I do. I just wonder, with Ozzie...

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
Simply put, we do not have the pitching this year to negate lackluster offensive outings, errors, and managerial mistakes

Couldn't agree with you more. However, I do think the pitching has been hurt by the lack of defense in CF and LF this year. I also think the rotation hurt themselves by not working to hold runners better.

Like you said, it all comes down to pitching. However, I think there are many intangibles that have played a role in several losses this year. Williams gave away a little too much speed and defense to compensate for the offensive woes from last year. The balance is not there on many levels. They may be ultimately squeak into the playoffs and possibly win the whole thing, but I do not see it happening. They have been unable to put a solid run of victories together since early in the first half. Without that ability, the playoffs are going to be very difficult. The team that looks like it is set for a sustained run, even without the top rotation is the Yankees. I see them facing either the Mets or possibly the wild card team if it is someone up and coming like the Marlins.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Even with this year's dissapointment looming, I feel pretty good about the rotation of Count, MB, Garland, BMAC, plus whoever we get our hands on.

This I actually completely agree with as long as we actually did get rid of both Freddy and Javy and use some money elsewhere, mostly to get a legit leadoff hitter. There is something wrong with JC, if he gets healthy I still believe he's as close to an ace as we have. Buehrle will not have a season like this again and I truely believe Brandon even in his first full year of starting will have an era under 4.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
But doesn't that leave us with a dreaded five hole again?

Well that would be the main hole to fill if you get rid of those two. Basically, I'm just saying I'd love to get rid of both of them, let Brandon start finally and find a new five starter.