Anyone remember France denying flyovers?

EvilMonkey

only this time it is alot more of Europe, and the denial is of IDF planes that are carrying munitions. I guess they are afraid of offending the Muslims in their country, or of appearing to be taking sides. Europe need to grow some balls.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/758607.html

Europe nixes landing rights for El Al planes with IDF cargo

By Zohar Blumenkrantz, Haaretz Correspondent

A number of European states are refusing to allow El Al cargo planes carrying Israel Defense Forces equipment from stopover landings in their airports.

The refusal came from states considered friendly with Israel, including Britain, Germany and Italy, according to Captain Etai Regev, the chairman of El Al's pilots' union.

Regev sent a letter of complaint on the matter to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and to the Defense Ministry, the Finance Ministry, and the Tourism Ministry.

According to Regev, El Al flights bearing heavy loads that arrive from U.S. bases "are not given approval by European states to make stopover landings for refueling, for political reasons.

"As a result, cargo planes are taking off from the U.S. with much lighter weight, and are reaching Israel with significantly fewer munitions than needed."

Regev called this "a substantial blow to state defense."

In his letter, Regev complained about the government's decision last month to allow Italy's flag carrier, Alitalia, to fly Israeli state employees abroad for the first time.

"Israel's response to this is the transfer of labor to Italian pilots at the cost of Israeli pilots," he wrote.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:45 AM)
Seems to me they alread have grown some balls, and thus are doing what they are doing.

I'm willing to bet they aren't letting any Syrian, Iranian or other Middle Eastern national aircraft with military cargo through either.

Given the French records on stuff like this, they are probably selling it to them instead.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
And is our record really any better?

actually, he never mentioned the United States. of course selling arms to nations/groups that are militant to our allies is wrong. what is your point? France is somehow correct in their actions because of something the United States has done that you don't like?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
actually, he never mentioned the United States. of course selling arms to nations/groups that are militant to our allies is wrong. what is your point? France is somehow correct in their actions because of something the United States has done that you don't like?

France isn't even mentioned, the thread title is misleading . . .

Now that you know it's Britian, Germany, and Spain, does that change your opinion?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)

Now that you know it's Britian, Germany, and Spain, does that change your opinion?

Yes, I agree that it seems my title is a bit misleading. My intent was to bring up when France denied flyovers to show that they (flyovers and layovers) are being denied again, but this time by Europe in general. The article doesn't say that France ISN'T doing it, it just points out that some of them doing it are more traditional allies" including Britain, Germany and Italy." No, I am still pissed that Europe is doing this because they are afraid of pissing off Muslims. That is all it really is. Do nothing to appear to help and maybe they will leave us alone. LIke I said, they need to grow some balls. Or go to the docs on Nip/Tuck and have some nuticles put in for them.

Are you saying it doesn't take balls to go against the US position? I would think it would take a greater level of testosterone to not stand side by side with the only remaining superpower.

It seems more to me that we labeled France as weak and wrong when they remained nuetral, now that more and more countries are taking that position, we are becoming more and more the outsider.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
Are you saying it doesn't take balls to go against the US position? I would think it would take a greater level of testosterone to not stand side by side with the only remaining superpower.

It seems more to me that we labeled France as weak and wrong when they remained nuetral, now that more and more countries are taking that position, we are becoming more and more the outsider.

I am saying it takes balls to stand up to the Muslims in Europe, which most of the governments over there just don't seem to want to do. Europe has been thumbing its nose at us for a while. C'mon, Tex, anti-US in the 'in' thing in Europe (and elsewhere), it has been for a while now.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
I am saying it takes balls to stand up to the Muslims in Europe, which most of the governments over there just don't seem to want to do. Europe has been thumbing its nose at us for a while. C'mon, Tex, anti-US in the 'in' thing in Europe (and elsewhere), it has been for a while now.

While it may be the "in" thing to you really believe it is easier to stand up to the US than Muslims?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)

Only one surprises me, and that is only mildly. Pretty much the rest of the world does not agree with Israel, for whatever reason. All you have to do is look at all of the UN votes where it is the rest of the world on one side, and the US and Israel alone on the other side.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)

Why don't you try being a muslim in France or Germany and see how easy it is? From what I've seen, its much more difficult to be muslim in Germany or France than it is in the US.

I can't speak for Italy or our good ally Great Britain as to why they are prohibiting the use of their airspace for transporting military cargo in passenger jetcraft, but I can say that when we built the new Germany after World War II, we built it to be a passifistic state. Prior to 1990, in West Germany - the only serious military actions or usage was done by the occupying powers. And the occupation didn't officially end until 1994 by the way.

Thanks to 40+ years of nationbuilding on our part, we built a Germany which is generally hostile to the idea of unnecessary military action or intervention. When they decide to do something like this as a signal to not openly condone a military intervention by another state - ally or enemy, we shouldn't be upset - we should be proud of a job well done.