Ryan Howard

DBAHO

Since the ASB, Howard has splits of .360/.496/.806. That's an OPS of 1.302.

If Philly end up getting the wild card spot, there's no doubt Howard should be the NL MVP.

It also raises the question, if you were building a team, would you take Howard over Albert Pujols right now?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 06:05 AM)

If Philly end up getting the wild card spot, there's no doubt Howard should be the NL MVP.

It also raises the question, if you were building a team, would you take Howard over Albert Pujols right now?

Possibly, but Pujols is still the safer pick. That said Howard is absolutely amazing and if he has another year like this (which I think he's capable of, although this could be his best year of his career, afterall, it would be the best year of almost any active player in baseball's career) I would take him over Albert.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:05 AM)

Agreed. Even if Philly doesn't get the spot, I would still strongly consider him a candidate.

As good as Howard is, there is no chance in hell I'd take him over Pujols. Not only does Howard have more than 100 more strikeouts, but Pujols also hits doubles at a consistantly high rate, is efficent on the basepaths (16/18 in SB last year, 5/6 this year), and has performed at this high level for the entire 6 years of his career, proving that he's no one-year wonder (not that I think Howard is, but its too soon to say he's better than Pujols when he isn't even better this year [which is up for debate, but thats my opinion], and this is likely the best year of his career).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
#55 and #56 have both been launched out of the park tonight. He is now 6 homeruns away from breaking Roger Maris' single season record of 61 homeruns.

too bad he will be 11 behind the REAL record of 73 my friend :canada

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
LoL @ the canada flag smiley. What is that for?

Barry Bonds used to play for the Pittsburgh Pirates, and Pittsburgh was the setting for Queer as Folk, except for certain club scenes that were filmed in Toronto instead because Pittsburgh's gay scene is apparently unsexy enough to be featured in Queer As Folk, and all of this ties into Barry Bonds being some type of homosexual who hangs out at gay bars in Toronto that were incidentally featured in Queer as Folk as if they were really in Pittsburgh?

:huh

(Really, I'd imagine he was being facetious, because I often post smilies of other countries when in satire.)

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
Prove that it can be done without steroids.

How do you know that Howard isn't on anything? I'm not saying that he is, but you can't really prove anything either way.

Also, I hate Bonds, and I'm 99% certain that he used steroids, but the record is still 73.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
How do you know that Howard isn't on anything? I'm not saying that he is, but you can't really prove anything either way.

Also, I hate Bonds, and I'm 99% certain that he used steroids, but the record is still 73.

I don't know that Howard isn't on anything, but I doubt it.

The record is still 73, that's true. But, at this point, I'm sure you weren't referencing me, since I never said otherwise. You're right, though -- it is 73.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)

Howard will be innocent until proven guilty in my mind. There hasn't been a peep about Howard and any sort of performance enhancing supplements, once there's some credible proof that he did take something (like there is with Bonds), Howard is clean in my mind.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
Howard will be innocent until proven guilty in my mind. There hasn't been a peep about Howard and any sort of performance enhancing supplements, once there's some credible proof that he did take something (like there is with Bonds), Howard is clean in my mind.

Well, can you prove, beyond a doubt, that Sosa or McGwire took anything? I know it looks like they did, and I do think that they did, but they haven't been proven guilty either.

Even if damning evidence comes out that they used steroids, is there any proof how much influence steroids actually have on homerun totals? Sure, it gives the person more muscle, which means they will have the ability to hit the ball harder/farther, but how do you know if it will add 1 homerun, 3, 5, or 10?

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
Well, can you prove, beyond a doubt, that Sosa or McGwire took anything? I know it looks like they did, and I do think that they did, but they haven't been proven guilty either.

Even if damning evidence comes out that they used steroids, is there any proof how much influence steroids actually have on homerun totals? Sure, it gives the person more muscle, which means they will have the ability to hit the ball harder/farther, but how do you know if it will add 1 homerun, 3, 5, or 10?

This is a court of law so I don't have to prove anything beyond a reasonabl doubt, all it really has to do is convince me that the guys are guilty and the hearings in Washington were the perfect topper for that.

As for your second point, there are plenty of benefits to using HGH/steroids beyond adding muscle mass. Steroids can improve how fast you heal from an injury and HGH can improve eyesight that's just 1 for each, there's much more benefits if you want to do a little research.

A couple of my buddies in high school decided to load up on a horse steroid for their junior and senior years of football and baseball and believe me that s*** has amazing effects on you and your ability to hit a baseball a long way.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)

They helped alex sanchez hit a ton more.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Yeah, the improved eyesight is key. You can see the pitch better, and with the added muscle, you can wait a little longer, allowing you to see it even better. This is what allowed THG to go yard 73 times in 2001, while still getting all those walks

rolleyes.gif

Congratulations, you can hit the ball further now.. you still have to be able to *HIT* it before it can go anywhere and it doesnt matter what you take nothing is going to help you do that any better than you can naturally do it yourself..

Seeing the ball? maybe, but even then.. you still have to be able to hit the ball for the "steroids" to be of any use and even before all this happened Bonds had a great eye anyways

Edited by T R U