Ryan Howard

DBAHO

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
Yeah, I read that about being able to see the ball a little longer and still being able to send it yard. I just couldn't find it. Thanks. :) :cheers :cheers :cheers

So I was right, that he was able to see the ball longer, which is what enabled him to go yard 73 times, despite all the walks

What part of this from the article above do you not comprehend....

"Steroids don’t improve eyesight: that’s true.", and went on to comment on improved BAT SPEED. :chair

And how is it that you have this private and personal medical information about Barry Bonds and his eyesight...?

I'm going to borrow from Kap here and ask you to put up, or shut up, with the information you are posting here.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I read that about being able to see the ball a little longer and still being able to send it yard. I just couldn't find it. Thanks. :) :cheers :cheers :cheers

So I was right, that he was able to see the ball longer, which is what enabled him to go yard 73 times, despite all the walks

HGH reportedly improves eyesight. Steroids reportedly do not.

There is speculation Bonds was on both, but he has always had a great eye. The thought that he was on steroids likely allowed stay back on the ball while still being able to hit it. His eyesight didn't do anything with that.

Also, pointblank, a guy can be 20/15, and that isn't gonna help him draw walks. That's just going to help him see better. Eyesight ≠walks

Can you prove that what he was using helped him by adding x homeruns onto what his normal total would be? You dont know whether it helped him hit one more HR, two more, five more, or fifty more.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
Well, can you prove, beyond a doubt, that Sosa or McGwire took anything? I know it looks like they did, and I do think that they did, but they haven't been proven guilty either.

Even if damning evidence comes out that they used steroids, is there any proof how much influence steroids actually have on homerun totals? Sure, it gives the person more muscle, which means they will have the ability to hit the ball harder/farther, but how do you know if it will add 1 homerun, 3, 5, or 10?

Wow, talk about ridiculous statements.

Yes, you can prove that they did.

And yes it effects homerun totals. Check out the career's of IROID, Canseco, Sosa, Bonds, etc. Their numbers were inflated by steroids. In fact jose has admitted as such.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Can you prove that what he was using helped him by adding x homeruns onto what his normal total would be? You dont know whether it helped him hit one more HR, two more, five more, or fifty more.

Can you prove that certain antibiotics improve your health by x each day you take it? Talk about a case by case basis and measurements that cant even be made in a medical setting. Here is how you can tell how steroids effected Mcguire's homerun total, and how much it added on each year.

McGuire not on roids Hr totals:

On roids:

So, not on roids he avg'ed 36.57 hr's per year

On Roids he avg'ed 60.6 Hr per year.

So that would come out to steroids adding 24.03 Hr's to his totals on avg per year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
Also, pointblank, a guy can be 20/15, and that isn't gonna help him draw walks. That's just going to help him see better. Eyesight ≠walks

This is true, pitch recognition has a lot more to do with walk totals than actual eyesight does.

This is true, pitch recognition has a lot more to do with walk totals than actual eyesight does.

Right, but b/c of the added muscle, he could wait back a little longer and still send it yard. What I'm trying to say is that he was able to go yard 73 times, despite all the walks, b/c he was able to see the pitch longer.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Right, but b/c of the added muscle, he could wait back a little longer and still send it yard. What I'm trying to say is that he was able to go yard 73 times, despite all the walks, b/c he was able to see the pitch longer.

Or maybe he was able to hit so many so far cause he was stronger from the increased muscle mass...

Because, as the article states, steroids DO NOT improve eyesight..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7286234/site/newsweek/page/2/

Steroids don’t improve eyesight: that’s true.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)

LOL...I suppose if said player with already good plate discipline had improved eyesight, he would draw more walks.

I was trying to get at the point that a free-swinger is a free-swinger, and he is not going to start drawing more walks because of better eyesight, but more likely because they start pitching around the player instead, and he doesn't chase the pitches, but instead watches them go by for strikes. A patient hitter is always going to be a patient hitter, regardless of his eyesight.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
Or maybe he was able to hit so many so far cause he was stronger from the increased muscle mass...

Because, as the article states, steroids DO NOT improve eyesight..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7286234/site/newsweek/page/2/

Steroids don’t improve eyesight: that’s true.

However, HGH use may in fact be able to either improve visual acuity or to keep visual acuity from declining with age as happens to most people. According to the Game of Shadows authors, that's one of the reasons Bonds liked the HGH; it helped his eyes.

In fact, even the article you cite includes this quote:

There is anecdotal evidence that HGH does, in fact, improve eyesight.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
However, HGH use may in fact be able to either improve visual acuity or to keep visual acuity from declining with age as happens to most people. According to the Game of Shadows authors, that's one of the reasons Bonds liked the HGH; it helped his eyes.

In fact, even the article you cite includes this quote:

Anything is possible, I totally agree. However despite what Chip and Dale claim there is no concrete evidence of what Bonds took, nor that he gained improved eyesight from it. That's all I am saying. I also think it's more likely that the bigger arms, legs, and trunk had a bit more to do with the balls traveling 8432 feet than his eyes did.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
Bonds is also older and injured compared to his record breaking season.

But those couldnt be the reasons for his decline.

Frank Thomas is on the juice, I mean how else could he have such a turn around.

Oh he was injured last year. I forgot injuries can negatively affect a players stats.

Are you trying to imply Bonds wasnt on the juice? Because he admitted he was.

No, what I am suggesting is that there is no way to prove that there is a correlation between Bonds decline this year and his lack of using steriods.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that in general the scientific community did not conclusively agree that steriod use would help you hit the ball farther.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that in general the scientific community did not conclusively agree that steriod use would help you hit the ball farther.

This is one of those cases where absence of proof is not proof of absence. In other words...no the scientific community has not, and will never agree that steroids make people hit the ball farther, or that they help baseball players in any meaningful way.

Why? Not because Steroids have been proven to be useless, but because every reputable country and sports program in the world is banning performance enhancing drugs and instituting testing programs. And because the laws in most countries now ban them as well.

In other words, it's actually impossible for science to conduct a double-blind study over many years of the effects of steroids on athletes in general, let alone baseball players. You can't take 2000 people, give steroids to half of them, placebos to the other half, put them all on an identical workout program, and then see which ones show the most improvement in their baseball skills. It's not only illegal, but dangerous to the health of the participants.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
No, what I am suggesting is that there is no way to prove that there is a correlation between Bonds decline this year and his lack of using steriods.

Maybe its due to injury, but his improvements were steroid related, and thats enough correlation for me.