Ryan Howard

DBAHO

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(T R U @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
rolleyes.gif

Congratulations, you can hit the ball further now.. you still have to be able to *HIT* it before it can go anywhere and it doesnt matter what you take nothing is going to help you do that any better than you can naturally do it yourself..

Seeing the ball? maybe, but even then.. you still have to be able to hit the ball for the "steroids" to be of any use and even before all this happened Bonds had a great eye anyways

Then why take them? If he has the natural ability to hit 73 HRs, hit .370 and walk 230+ times in a season why would he even bother risk long term health problems, going to jail and tarnishing an already hall of fame career by taking an illegal substance?

Then why take them? If he has the natural ability to hit 73 HRs, hit .370 and walk 230+ times in a season why would he even bother risk long term health problems, going to jail and tarnishing an already hall of fame career by taking an illegal substance?

Excatly. What I meant is that that was the reason why Bonds went yard 73 times, despite all the walks, that he was able to see the ball better, and could wait on it a little longer. Of course Bonds could hit w/o the juice. He was a 500-500 guy w/o it

Edited by Cuck the Fubs

I agree with those that say that if the Phillies don’t make it to the playoffs, Howard should still get the MVP. He is going to end up with over 60 HR’s, will get 150 RBI’s, and is going to end up with an insane on-base % and OPS.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Alex Sanchez etc. took steroids because they help increase fast twitch muscles which helps with hand-eye coordination, bat speed, speed, etc. Steroids are not all about power hitting -- which is a common misconception regarding anabolic steroids.

Hence why relievers would take steroids too. The increase in muscle regeneration is huge for them, and allows them to be pitch well for days and days in a row.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 06:48 AM)

Its like saying anyone can take HGH and become an All Star baseball player..

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Alex Sanchez etc. took steroids because they help increase fast twitch muscles which helps with hand-eye coordination, bat speed, speed, etc. Steroids are not all about power hitting -- which is a common misconception regarding anabolic steroids.

Of course. I just like to use his as an example because if he has been caught with them... someone that i am sure not many expected... anyone could be.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
Hence why relievers would take steroids too. The increase in muscle regeneration is huge for them, and allows them to be pitch well for days and days in a row.

I have always thought our former closer was on steroids... never believed that he was overworked.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Yeah, the improved eyesight is key. You can see the pitch better, and with the added muscle, you can wait a little longer, allowing you to see it even better. This is what allowed THG to go yard 73 times in 2001, while still getting all those walks

Taking steroids does not improve your eyesight, or your hand-eye coordination.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
Excatly. What I meant is that that was the reason why Bonds went yard 73 times, despite all the walks, that he was able to see the ball better, and could wait on it a little longer. Of course Bonds could hit w/o the juice. He was a 500-500 guy w/o it

That might be what you meant, but you are incorrect.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 07:09 AM)
Taking steroids does not improve your eyesight, or your hand-eye coordination.

That might be what you meant, but you are incorrect.

I remember hearing some talk on the radio that Bonds' eyesight actually did test better post-roids, but who knows if that's true, and if it is, who really knows if that's related to the roids?

I really dislike Bonds as a public figure (I don't know him as a person), but it is amazing nonetheless what he's been able to do at his age and with the physical breakdowns he's suffered.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
but who knows if that's true, and if it is, who really knows if that's related to the roids?

I'm going to guess those who have done the research. :huh

There is evidence that they speed up recovery from eye surgery, but not that they make normal eyesight better.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
I'm going to guess those who have done the research. :huh

There is evidence that they speed up recovery from eye surgery, but not that they make normal eyesight better.

Just doing a quick search on the net this is really the only online evidence I can find. But there is evidence that HGH can improve eyesight, since human growth hormone promotes the growth of vital organs including the eyes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7286234/site/newsweek/page/2/

Steroids don’t improve eyesight: that’s true. But steroids bolster strength and speed of muscle response, enabling the batter to wield the bat more quickly. He can wait longer on pitches and, thus, be fooled less. So steroids can help a hitter get his bat on the ball. More importantly, steroids weren’t the only drug in the BALCO arsenal. Jason Giambi, according to the Chronicle, told the grand jury he injected human growth hormone along with his steroids regimen. There is anecdotal evidence that HGH does, in fact, improve eyesight. So the combination of HGH and steroids might impact batting average every bit as much as much as power stats.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
Just doing a quick search on the net this is really the only online evidence I can find. But there is evidence that HGH can improve eyesight, since human growth hormone promotes the growth of vital organs including the eyes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7286234/site/newsweek/page/2/

OK.. can ya find the link that states the flax seed - what Barry admitted to using - does the same?

HGH is an entirely different animal, and along WITH a steriod regimine may improve eyesite.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
OK.. can ya find the link that states the flax seed - what Barry admitted to using - does the same?

HGH is an entirely different animal, and along WITH a steriod regimine may improve eyesite.

Part of the problem here is that you can sit on that side demanding that we provide you proof, along the lines of a clinical, double-blind study proving beyond any doubt that THG or HGH or some combination of the 2 can improve things like eyesight, eye-hand coordination, and so on. But the problem is...these are illegal drugs, especially in the doses these athletes were taking. There simply is not going to be anything beyond anecdotal evidence about whether or not these drugs actually do improve eyesight, because no one is ever going to be able to sit down and do a full clinical study to see if they do.

So pathetic, anecdotal reports are about the only thing we can give.

Game of Shadows does say that Bonds used HGH extensively, and one of the reasons he preferred that drug were the eyesight effects.

As Bonds learned in 1999, Winstrol was not a magic potion. He sustained a torn triceps tendon in his left arm in April that required surgery and forced him to miss seven weeks. Bonds and Anderson blamed steroids for the elbow injury, the excerpt says, "because they had made his arm muscles so large that the elbow tendon could not support them."

Bonds also complained of pain in his knee and back, leading Anderson to search for other drugs in 2000. Soon thereafter, Anderson put Bonds on another steroid, Deca-Durabolin, the excerpt says, and later added human growth hormone. Bonds favored growth hormone, according to the excerpt, because it allowed him to stay muscle-bound and maintain his thirst to train while also feeling flexible. It also seemed to improve his eyesight.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)

Flax seed basically does nothing, it is not a steroid it's a simple natural supplement.

And it never said that you must combine HGH with a steroid remimine to improve eyesight, it just said that's what Giambi admitted to doing. As that paragraph says HGH alone has the ability to improve eyesight.

Balta and Kalapse both, I'm not demanding anything. It's all opinion and speculation because what improves something in one person does not mean it does the same in another. There are tests to both sides, yet more of them have evidence to support that they do not improve eyesight, and those that say they do improve it have nothing more to go on than the guy saying "yep.. I can see better."

And I'll just note that Game of Shadows says he used HGH. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
Flax seed basically does nothing, it is not a steroid it's a simple natural supplement.

And it never said that you must combine HGH with a steroid remimine to improve eyesight, it just said that's what Giambi admitted to doing. As that paragraph says HGH alone has the ability to improve eyesight.

Flaxseed oil was what Bonds told the grand jury that he thought he was using, but the Flaxseed oil was actually the THG. When Bonds passed that stuff along to Sheffield, he also told Shef it was "Flaxseed oil". But again, it was the THG.