Parent brawl at football game

Texsox

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/05/footballbrawl.ap/index.html

STOCKTON, California (AP) -- An assistant youth football coach was arrested on charges of felony child abuse after rushing the field and knocking an opposing player to the ground, police said.

Cory Petero, 36, of Riverbank, turned himself in to Stockton police Saturday night following a late hit that turned into a brawl, with parents and children from both teams fighting on the field.

The incident was recorded on videotape. (Watch coach plow down opposing team player -- 1:35)

Its amazing to me how many parents try to live the glory they never received, via their kids. Its kind of sick, really. How embarrassing for them. That's pretty much my thought process when I see some whacked out soccer mom/dad screaming obscenities at an 11 year old kid (or a 17 year old umpire, or a volunteer coach) while foaming at the mouth over a play at a little league game.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
Its amazing to me how many parents try to live the glory they never received, via their kids. Its kind of sick, really. How embarrassing for them. That's pretty much my thought process when I see some whacked out soccer mom/dad screaming obscenities at an 11 year old kid (or a 17 year old umpire, or a volunteer coach) while foaming at the mouth over a play at a little league game.

As Lisa Simpson once said;

"You mean those leagues where parents push their kids into vicious competition to compensate for their own failed dreams of glory?"

It's just sad that these things happens honestly.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
There is no positive to a grown man hitting a 13 year old kid.

In this case no, but if you just saw your kid being assaulted on the street by someone running up and smashing him to the ground, you'd probably rush to protect him and make the threat go away. This was a cheap hit after the whistle, not a clean hit during the game.

Not nearly as fun as watching a major university coach tackle an opposing player. Go Woody :headbang

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
In this case no, but if you just saw your kid being assaulted on the street by someone running up and smashing him to the ground, you'd probably rush to protect him and make the threat go away. This was a cheap hit after the whistle, not a clean hit during the game.

Not nearly as fun as watching a major university coach tackle an opposing player. Go Woody :headbang

I haven't watched the video, but I bet that kind of parent protection is sometimes instinctive.

QUOTE(mreye @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
Am I the only one that thinks the hit, while late, was not really that bad?

I didn't think the hit was bad, the other kid popped right back up. The dad's hit was worse. I think it was instinctive, but I think it tells a lot about the agression in the father. He took off in a split second. Hits like that are a dime a dozen . . .

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
I didn't think the hit was bad, the other kid popped right back up. The dad's hit was worse. I think it was instinctive, but I think it tells a lot about the agression in the father. He took off in a split second. Hits like that are a dime a dozen . . .

I'm gonna have to disagree..."instincts" or not, you have to recognize that you're a 36-or-whatever adult about to knock the crap out of a 13-year-old boy, and that's just not the right reaction for the action that occurred. It was a late and not-very-violent hit in football with full pads, not someone taking a gun or a knife out on the kid.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
I'm gonna have to disagree..."instincts" or not, you have to recognize that you're a 36-or-whatever adult about to knock the crap out of a 13-year-old boy, and that's just not the right reaction for the action that occurred. It was a late and not-very-violent hit in football with full pads, not someone taking a gun or a knife out on the kid.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? I said it was instinctive, I didn't say it's right. I also mentioned in tells a lot about the dad's agression, and not in a positive way.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
What exactly are you disagreeing with? I said it was instinctive, I didn't say it's right. I also mentioned in tells a lot about the dad's agression, and not in a positive way.

I was disagreeing with your trying to find a positive in the father's actions. I understand where you were going with the whole "fatherly instincts" idea, but I think that would be more about protecting than aggressive retaliation. I think the retaliation would have more to do with problems with aggression, as you stated in the post I quoted, than fatherly instincts. You just can't go around beating up every kid your child's age who gets into a fight with your own child. That action put lots more people in danger because it insighted a big brawl.