Ryan Sweeney to start in RF tonight.

DBAHO

All the best to him if it's indeed the case;

Trainer’s room: Jermaine Dye left Monday’s game in the seventh inning with tightness in his back. The White Sox’ all-star right fielder already has been ruled out for today.

“He was hitting in batting practice and he felt something funny in his back,’’ Ozzie Guillen said. “I was begging him not to play, but he felt good enough to do it. It started bothering him late in the game, but it’s not serious.’’

Dye said he couldn’t continue playing after grounding out leading off the seventh.

“It was one swing in my last at-bat,’’ Dye said. “It’s like an achy spasm, real tight as I walk.’’

Guillen said he’s leaning toward giving Ryan Sweeney his first major-league start tonight in place of Dye. The 21-year-old outfielder was one of four players called up from Class AAA Charlotte on Friday.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
It is indeed a very critical game. It would give Sweeney some good major league experience.

And hopefully give the rest of the team a jump if he does well in his 1st start.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
If he goes 0-4 with 2 K's will the board still be issuing well wishes? I'm not a huge fan of giving a 21 year old his first start by replacing a possible MVP candidate, in Fenway Park, while in a Wild Card race...call me crazy.

Correct. That should only be done at Yankee Stadium. ;)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)
Yeah, all lefties cant hit other Lefties.

Have you seen Sweeney's splits in AAA? You would think you would want to put one of your top prospects in the best position to succeed starting out. Ryan Sweeney is my favorite White Sox prospect. I just think its asking an awful lot of a kid to basically begin his major league career playing the toughest RF to defend in baseball, in a pressure packed game, facing a left hander, something he has had problems with. If the White Sox had another right handed OF who could actually play RF, there is no way Sweeney would start tonight.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:00 AM)
If we are going to give him his first Major League start why can't it be over Pods in LF?

Pablo will most likely be in LF. Mack is the only guy on the White Sox roster not named Sweeney or Dye or Anderson that actually wouldn't make everyone laugh if he were penciled to play RF at Fenway Park.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
Pablo will most likely be in LF. Mack is the only guy on the White Sox roster not named Sweeney or Dye or Anderson that actually wouldn't make everyone laugh if he were penciled to play RF at Fenway Park.

Gload played out there last night, briefly, I believe.

I am NOT saying Gload should be out there regularly, mind you - just pointing it out.

I find it very disheartening that in a must we. (If we lose we 1 1/2 behind the Twins.) We are giving someone that struggles against lefties their major league debut. Mack is not a GG Rf but he will do the job and has at least hit major league pitching before. This is not the time to be testign young players.

I hope cooler heads prevail. Our offense is pathetic right now. That last thing it needs is another automatic out. I am not ripping on Sweeney here BTW.

Cooper said that Jenks has a sore hip, and he was in no way 100 pct last night when he was in the bullpen. If he was only throwing 91 or 92 mph in the bullpen, maybe we should have kept Thornton in the game? That's not Ozzie's fault though. Dye actually has been swinging for the last 5 games or so like he has a tight back. He hasn't been as flexible at the plate as he had been.

As with all prospects within our organization, It'd be nice for someone to immediately contribute upon promotion.

I'm tired of hearing, "not everyone succeeds immediately," because wouldn't you know it, about every player facing us making their major league debut goes off.

Make it memorable Ryan -- 2-4, HR, 3RBI.