Has this team quit?

fathom

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:31 AM)
Ahh yes, an Ozzie defender. Lemme guess, it's not Ozzie's fault the pitching sucked the last 2 nights and you want Rowand back since he was blue collar, whereas Thome k's too much. Right? :(

I actually agree that Anderson's defense is a little overrated on this board. He's a very, very good defensive player, but he still has a lot of improvements to be made to turn into a complete CF. I'd really like to see him work on his throwing, as he doesn't seem to be overly accurate with his arm right now.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
I actually agree that Anderson's defense is a little overrated on this board. He's a very, very good defensive player, but he still has a lot of improvements to be made to turn into a complete CF. I'd really like to see him work on his throwing, as he doesn't seem to be overly accurate with his arm right now.

I actually think his arm is accurate, he is just overambitious with his throws home. Often times he thinks he can throw a guy out at home even though he has no shot, so he throws the ball home with no chance at it getting cut, so Brian needs to be a lot better with reading those types of plays.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
A thread like this would never be started if there were any more good posters around.

This is as far as i have read yet... and jphat has amused me already... and i see there is much more of him to come. It is both amusing and boring at the same time... Amusing because he truly believes everything he says... and boring because it is all he mentions.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
I see absolutely no hustle by our core players, no urgency by our coaching staff, and just no enthusiasm by anyone on or off the field. It's sad that the only people who are hustling are Ozuna, Gload, Mackowiak, Sweeney, and Sandy. Someone might want to tell guys like Crede, Dye, and PK that the season isn't over at the end of August. The good news is that I have absolutely zero confidence that Guillen can turn this ship around.

I wouldn't say this team has quit, there just doesn't seem to be any urgency right now. It's as if they expect to go on a 10 game winning streak and coast into the playoffs. Now As much as I would LOVE for that to happen, I'm not counting on it, and i would hope their not either. Instead they need to focus on winning each game on that given day and let the chips fall where they may, but it just seems like their not doing that. And just when the starting pitching starts to pick it up a bit, our BP and offense start to tank it........................ So It's basically do or die for the offense right now, they need to revert back to April-July form or were f***ed.

Edited by CYGarland

Everyone's been looking at us to rip off a winning streak all season long.

Our guys are believing the hype too much, Ozzie is making piss-poor decisions and has been all season long, and our starting pitching has underachieved.

If anything, Ozzie manages us out of the playoffs.

The word quit is such a subjective term.

I couldn't honestly believe that a team that is fighting to make the playoffs by the skin of the teeth, would just say "No screw this, I'd rather be playing on the Golf Course in October".

Ask Javy Vazquez if he had quit last night on the mound, and Jon Garland the night before. Our SP has been FANTASTIC over the past 2 games, something that we have been crying out for all season long.

But our offense which has been something which we have come to depend on, just hasn't produced, because guys like Konerko etc. aren't in the greatest of form right now.

The short answer to the original question is No. This team hasn't quit. But no fan can say the Sox players are quitting without knowing anything that is happening in the clubhouse, or what is in the players minds and hearts. But I'll leave that for all you professional shrinks out here posting on Soxtalk

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
2nd half records in the AL Central....This is the tale of the tape.

TEAM W L PCT GB

Minnesota 32 18 .640 --

Detroit 26 24 .520 6.0

Chicago 22 27 .449 9.5

WOW. Thats pathetic. I posted our record since the All-Star Break ......but it was deleted.

QUOTE(Drew @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:10 AM)
If anything, Ozzie manages us out of the playoffs.

This division was there for the taking. Even with all of the trouble the SOX had with the pitching and hitting,

it was still winnable. Too much Mackowiak in CF, too much Thome batting 3rd, too much leaving Vazquez in too long. The games where these guys made the "difference", happens to be the same difference we are behind.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
WOW. Thats pathetic. I posted our record since the All-Star Break ......but it was deleted.

This division was there for the taking. Even with all of the trouble the SOX had with the pitching and hitting,

it was still winnable. Too much Mackowiak in CF, too much Thome batting 3rd, too much leaving Vazquez in too long. The games where these guys made the "difference", happens to be the same difference we are behind.

This is one thing that I believe had absolutely nothing to do with the Sox being horrid for so long now.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
This is one thing that I believe had absolutely nothing to do with the Sox being horrid for so long now.

Im not trying to hate on Thome, but in April he was dangerous for us. He hit the ball the other way, he took walks, he didnt swing at every pitch. The solo homeruns are great, but I'd rather see the Konerko/Dye type shots that tie the game/put us in the lead.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)

Agreed.

I mean if we can win a world series with Crazy Carl Everett in the #3 hole, why can't we with Jim Thome?

It's all about the pitching.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
Im not trying to hate on Thome, but in April he was dangerous for us. He hit the ball the other way, he took walks, he didnt swing at every pitch. The solo homeruns are great, but I'd rather see the Konerko/Dye type shots that tie the game/put us in the lead.

Well for that to happen, the men hitting in front of Thome have to get on base.

And Podsednik hasn't been doing that, and Iguchi hasn't been exactly hot either lately.

I hate Ozzie as much as anyone, but I'm not going to blame him for being the main culprit if this team doen't make the playoffs. There are too many guys underachieving, and just too many aspects of the game where we're mediocre. We've turned into just a slow, power hitting team that can't run the bases or prevent the opposition from running the bases. That's not a recipe for success.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
No, but I think that a number of fans here have quit.

I was just about to post the same thing. Who quits first? The players, the coaches, the fans, or the ownership? The white flag trades tells me sometimes it's the ownership, last years fans jumping off the cliff in September, tells me sometimes it's the fans, I wonder if we can really ever tell if it's the players.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
I was just about to post the same thing. Who quits first? The players, the coaches, the fans, or the ownership? The white flag trades tells me sometimes it's the ownership, last years fans jumping off the cliff in September, tells me sometimes it's the fans, I wonder if we can really ever tell if it's the players.

Good point. I don't see any evidence of the players or coaches quitting. What I do see is a group of tired/injured players dragging right now. And I don't see any evidence of the coaching staff throwing in the towel, either.

But I do see a lot of fans "quitting" on a manager that won them a championship less than a year ago. Ozzie is nowhere near perfect and never above reproach, but I think that he deserves better treatment than this.

Sad to see a thread like this.

No matter how awful they get . I will always support this team. I have been suffering for 30+ yrs with this team. And last year my dreams of a World Championship were finally realized.This will probably be one of the best sports memories I wil ever have.

Has this team quit? I dont think so. Has this team lost focu on the prize? I dont think so. I just think they are having a hard time making it click.There is still time to make the chase. They just need to get back to basics. And quit swinging for the fence everytime. Maybe some players need to rest due to mental and physcal fatigue.

I just wish more of you would stay positive. It is times like this when your team needs your support! Not your constant complaining and whining and constant asking for managers and coaches and personal to get the boot!

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
Giving up 4 runs in 18 innings is pitching poorly now? With Julian Tavarez and KASON GABBARD starting against the Sox?

It's no longer about the pitching. It's about scoring some goddamn runs.

we have probably the best offense in baseball, where was this pitching when we were scoring 5 runs a game?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
we have probably the best offense in baseball, where was this pitching when we were scoring 5 runs a game?

When we hit, we don't pitch.

When we pitch, we don't hit.

Wish I could answer it for you. If I could, I'd probably have Guillen's job. Then again, I probably wouldn't be a media darling who says something outrageous and dumb anytime someone wanted to talk to me.