Let's hear it for Vazquez

kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
And... AGAIN, Vazquez stepped up. WTG, JAVY!

He pitched good, but I'm not about to start praising him like he's Cy Young. :P

He still suffered his 6th inning mental breakdown, and with the way our offense was swinging today, we needed him to limit the Indians to 1 run or less.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
He pitched good, but I'm not about to start praising him like he's Cy Young. :P

He still suffered his 6th inning mental breakdown, and with the way our offense was swinging today, we needed him to limit the Indians to 1 run or less.

Yea, but you can't ask him to go through zeros every time out. Two runs is pretty damn good.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 08:54 PM)
Yea, but you can't ask him to go through zeros every time out. Two runs is pretty damn good.

Yeah, please don't take it as me saying that he's not doing well. However, it would be nice if he actually just went out and won us a game, instead of losing the momentum as soon as the 6th inning comes around.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Yeah, please don't take it as me saying that he's not doing well. However, it would be nice if he actually just went out and won us a game, instead of losing the momentum as soon as the 6th inning comes around.

The team lost its momentum when they decided to be incapable of hitting left-handed pitching.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)

It would be nice.

However, he's given up a total of three runs in his last two outings. Amounting to.... 16 innings. The Sox have scored two runs in support.

If your offense can't score three runs in a game, you usually don't deserve to win IMO.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:33 AM)
He's been good in past half a dozen starts. Hopefully it can continue.

There's still hope with him folks.

But, I would be quick to add not for Freddie Garcia. I think Freddie should be the trade bait next year. I am also quite concerned about Buerhle and his inconsistent pitching. Garland is the ace, Javier is showing back to back to back good outings but pitching in bad luck and Contreras is at least a 50/50 toss up when he pitches.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
But, I would be quick to add not for Freddie Garcia. I think Freddie should be the trade bait next year. I am also quite concerned about Buerhle and his inconsistent pitching. Garland is the ace, Javier is showing back to back to back good outings but pitching in bad luck and Contreras is at least a 50/50 toss up when he pitches.

I completely agree with you. I think Garcia has to be gone and than its either Buehrle or Contreras. I really don't see us moving Contreras because he has such good stuff and well I really do have concerns about Buehrle.

Plus I think Buehrle still has very very strong trade value and we could maybe swap him in a 3 way deal for another starter that the Sox may like.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)
The team lost its momentum when they decided to be incapable of hitting left-handed pitching.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
It would be nice.

However, he's given up a total of three runs in his last two outings. Amounting to.... 16 innings. The Sox have scored two runs in support.

If your offense can't score three runs in a game, you usually don't deserve to win IMO.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
Average runs/game by the Sox 2.8

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
Some consistency? How about some f'in runs instead?

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
Nice Work Javy 7IP 2BB 4H 2ER 10K

Keep it up.

Right on, people. Vaz, unlike some of these other guys, has been doing his job since August.

If we can somehow get in the playoffs, my rotation would be:

Garland, Contreras, Vazquez, Buerhle with Garcia coming from the pen.

Garland is our ace, Jose C and Javier have really stepped it up as of late and if I were to chose 1 of our 2 struggling starters right now, it would have to be Buerhle.

About a month back I was having a discussion with shoota who said in no way could Javier Vazquez be compared to Jose Contreras, because Contreras is a MUCH better pitcher (too lazy to find the thread).

Back in that thread I said his ERA+ was 95. It's at 98 now, so he's basically pitching the same as last season. So he's still got a ways to go, but over the month he's certainly shown what he's capable of. What I think is the most postive stat for him this season though is this;

HR/F

2005 - 18.5%

2006 - 8.9%

And considering he's actually giving up MORE flyballs this season than last (40.5% GB% compared to 43.3% last season), that's a big improvement there.