Ozzie's thoughts on Brian Anderson

fathom

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
It doesn't look like he is getting on BAs ass. He sees how good BA can be and how much room he has for improvement. He is pushing him to get better. He wants him to go to winter ball to work on things and get better. I think this is a good thing. If he didn't think BA was a good player with the chance of being really good would he be saying these things? I highly doubt it. I would like this if I was BA.

Thank you. I think Ozzie is smart enough to realize he is sitting on a 30-30 guy here and is trying to push him towards that. Honestly part of the reason that I think there are a lot of unspoken injuries going on here is exactly for the reason we haven't heard him selling out anybody else. Having listened to Oz for 3 seasons now, we all know he wouldn't hesitate to sell his madre down the rio if he thought it would get him a few more wins. I think there are guys he realizes he isn't going to get anymore out of, because they have nothing to give right now.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
Yes, but he has been called a great baseball mind who understands the intricate pieces of the game. Even Tony "genius" laRussa said that Ozzie understanded the game better than most. It has been mentioned time and time again that during his playing days he was almost a coach on the field, and was given nothing but the highest praise from the Marlins and Expos organizations. I would say they know a little bit more about the situation than you do.

I don't think most will deny he's got the skills... but it's not too far of a stretch to say that he sure is having trouble using them lately.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think most will deny he's got the skills... but it's not too far of a stretch to say that he sure is having trouble using them lately.

I would still trust his skills and judgements on this team than anyone's on this message board. Fo' sho'.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)

If I sat there watching this team and felt like they were playing with an ounce of passion...I wouldn't really care right now if Ozzie was still costing this team games with what I consider to be poor decisions. Last year, Ozzie made plenty of poor decisions (Timo @ 1b), but the team still won.

I just don't see fire right now. That's what I wanted from Ozzie when he came in...give the team some balls. In 2005 it worked. My eyes right now see a bunch of people swinging for the fences and not acting like they're willing to give themselves up for their team, and that's what hurts.

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG, the defense of OG is sickening. The arguments made for him are flawed. 16 pages of this?

Defense? Arguments made? That is all you have? What is your argument against? Bring something more to the discussion than that crap. Bring an idea at least.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
If I sat there watching this team and felt like they were playing with an ounce of passion...I wouldn't really care right now if Ozzie was still costing this team games with what I consider to be poor decisions. Last year, Ozzie made plenty of poor decisions (Timo @ 1b), but the team still won.

I just don't see fire right now. That's what I wanted from Ozzie when he came in...give the team some balls. In 2005 it worked. My eyes right now see a bunch of people swinging for the fences and not acting like they're willing to give themselves up for their team, and that's what hurts.

Completely agree 15000000%.

For whatever reason, he's lost that fire. Maybe it's too many commercials.. maybe too many tv specials.. I dunno, but it's something and it sucks.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but I can't see that as Ozzie's fault or any coach's fault. It is sad and disgusting, but if a player can't get up and have passion for these games that can get you into the playoffs and win a championship then that falls on the player. Come one, do you really need someone to fire you up for these games, these types of situations? I sure hope not. It is just a sad group of players that can't get amped up to play these games.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For whatever reason, he's lost that fire. Maybe it's too many commercials.. maybe too many tv specials.. I dunno, but it's something and it sucks.

He lost the fire? really? I didn't know Oz still played. I would say he and Coop are the two I hear and see that still have the fire. The players seem to think it is just any other game, no big deal. That's f***ed up. I don't know where they get that attitude from, but it doesn't seem like it is coming from Guillen or Coop.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
I agree, but I can't see that as Ozzie's fault or any coach's fault. It is sad and disgusting, but if a player can't get up and have passion for these games that can get you into the playoffs and win a championship then that falls on the player. Come one, do you really need someone to fire you up for these games, these types of situations? I sure hope not. It is just a sad group of players that can't get amped up to play these games.

He lost the fire? really? I didn't know Oz still played.

But see, at least IMO, it should be the manager's job to keep the team motivated. Think about some of the great managers out there...not all of them are great tactical managers, but a lot of them are great motivational people. You don't look at Bill Parcells and feel like guys are being lazy on his team. I don't think many of Tony LaRussa's guys come off as lazy. There's always talk in the NFL about what's on the Patriots' bulletin board and how that will affect the next game with the Colts.

Yes, it's the players job to get amped up. But I always felt like the manager is a big part of making it easy for that to happen. Just think about Ozzie Guillen 2005 if you need any other example...a lot of these same guys...but for the most part, they were able to keep focused on the game, and aside from a few weeks, there was always some level of intensity, there was always something surprising, there was always some big play made by a guy who hustled his butt off. Where is all of that this year?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But see, at least IMO, it should be the manager's job to keep the team motivated. Think about some of the great managers out there...not all of them are great tactical managers, but a lot of them are great motivational people. You don't look at Bill Parcells and feel like guys are being lazy on his team. I don't think many of Tony LaRussa's guys come off as lazy. There's always talk in the NFL about what's on the Patriots' bulletin board and how that will affect the next game with the Colts.

Yes, it's the players job to get amped up. But I always felt like the manager is a big part of making it easy for that to happen. Just think about Ozzie Guillen 2005 if you need any other example...a lot of these same guys...but for the most part, they were able to keep focused on the game, and aside from a few weeks, there was always some level of intensity, there was always something surprising, there was always some big play made by a guy who hustled his butt off. Where is all of that this year?

To get them motivated to play meaningful playoff type of games? Seriously? I mean there are times to motivate guys, but they shouldn't need extra motivation at this point. The carrot is there. Get the freaking carrot!!! f***! How much motivation do they need! If they do then shame on them.

I highly doubt Bill Parcells has to motivate anyone for a playoff game or for a game that could get them into the playoffs. I doubt the Patriots need any motivation to play the colts or the Colts to play the Patriots.

If you can look at Ozzie and think that he has lost the fire, then s***, you are better at seeing it than I am. He looks just as intense as he always does when they pan over to him. He is in the game, getting on the umps asses.

You have to ask the players where it is this year. Some guys seem to be playing hard and playing for the team. Others don't. Uribe doesn't look like he did last year defensively. Iguchi doesn't look like the # 2 hitter he was last year. Pods is freaking awful. Our pitching blows. I think those things have more to do with us losing than Ozzie's fire and him motivating guys.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)

You've hinted at the possibility that there are some in the clubhouse that are sick of his attitude. Do you still think this is a legitimate assessment of the environment surrounding the team?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By the way, who are these great motivational managers? Joe Torre? Terry Francona? Jack McKeon? Bobby Cox? Tommy Lasorda? Billy Martin? Earl Weaver? I am trying to look back and find these great motivational managers and I don't see it. Just give me some examples. I would like to see what you mean and what your idea of a motivational baseball manager is.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
You've hinted at the possibility that there are some in the clubhouse that are sick of his attitude. Do you still think this is a legitimate assessment of the environment surrounding the team?

Actually, it was Jason that did the hinting. I've learned to keep my fingers idle when that stuff crosses my ears.

But I stand behind him (Jason) completely. :ph34r:

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If this was really true don't you think we would have heard it reported by now? Wouldn't we have heard this from the local radio baseball insiders? ESPN insiders? This would have came out already if it was truly the case.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
If this was really true don't you think we would have heard it reported by now? Wouldn't we have heard this from the local radio baseball insiders? ESPN insiders? This would have came out already if it was truly the case.

Ya.. cause the players are liars!!!

Jason, cut those mf'ers off.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya.. cause the players are liars!!!

Jason, cut those mf'ers off.

The players are that confident in you to let you know they are sick of his act? Yeah, ok! Here little fan, go spread this on the message boards..... We trust you completely.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I mean he won us everything last year, all Ozzie, how dare anyone criticize him?

Where did anyone say not to criticize? People are looking for things to critcize. Such as this article. There was nothing wrong with what he said at all.

That said, is he not one of our greatest managers ever?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
The players are that confident in you to let you know they are sick of his act? Yeah, ok! Here little fan, go spread this on the message boards..... We trust you completely.

Ummmmmmmm... go listen to the podcast, and do a little research before bashing Steff this time. She's just repeating what Jason said in a post already, she's not the one saying anything.

/carry on - this is a lively debate :D

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)

Steff never brought anything up. It wasa Jason.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ummmmmmmm... go listen to the podcast, and do a little research before bashing Steff this time. She's just repeating what Jason said in a post already, she's not the one saying anything.

/carry on - this is a lively debate :D

repeating is not saying? I'm just saying.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that an achievement? Any manager that comes in here and the players win him a world series is one of our best ever, instantly.

Yes, it is that simple. You can say the players win any coach a world championship in any sport. Ozzie has said this himself. However, before the season started last year, not one person gave this team a shot to win, not even its own fans. At the end of the year they are world champions. What does that tell you? It was more than JUST the players. The players had to perform and execute, however there had to be more than just that.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
However, before the season started last year, not one person gave this team a shot to win, not even its own fans. At the end of the year they are world champions. What does that tell you? It was more than JUST the players. The players had to perform and execute, however there had to be more than just that.

People weren't picking the Sox because they didn't have Bobby Jenks. People weren't picking the Sox because they did not know Jose Contreras would go insane down the stretch. People weren't picking the Sox because they weren't expecting Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts to be top setup men. People weren't picking the Sox because they underestimated the importance of an excellent defense.

It's not like people saw it as a 70 W team and Ozzie magically turned them into World Champs, people just flat out underestimated the team. Ozzie is not the reason we outperformed the "experts" expectations, that is silly to believe.

Edited by WHarris1

EDITED.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People weren't picking the Sox because they didn't have Bobby Jenks. People weren't picking the Sox because they did not know Jose Contreras would go insane down the stretch. People weren't picking the Sox because they weren't expecting Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts to be top setup men. People weren't picking the Sox because they underestimated the importance of an excellent defense.

It's not like people saw it as a 70 W team and Ozzie magically turned them into World Champs, people just flat out underestimated the team.

And Ozzie has nothing to do with that, but everything to do with poor play like this year, right? You're right, my fault.

Jose Contreras was awful until last year. Bobby Jenks was let go by the Angels. He had a team of misfits and made them a world championship team. I am not saying it was all Ozzie, but it wasn't all the players either. It was a combination.

Edited by kapkomet