Ozzie's thoughts on Brian Anderson

fathom

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
That's true... are you agreeing with what I'm saying?

If you go back to BA's case, he wants to see a higher OBP. And his speed on the basepaths needs to be utilized. Someone else mentioned 30-30 in this thread, and it's possible, if he works hard enough.

No. He invoked the name of Joey Gathright. World Class speedster. Terrible baseball player.

Ozzie's talking out his ass. He values speed WAY more than OBP, and it's not even close.

Sweeney is starting in CF and leading of because, as guillen said himself, 'he reminds me of Ozzie Guillen."

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
To lead off? Are you f***ing kidding me? This is why no one here is the manager of a professional baseball team.

Those are solid backups, but they are not everyday MLB leadoff hitters.

Neither is Scott Podsednik right now. They would be better than Scott Podsednik.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
To lead off? Are you f***ing kidding me? This is why no one here is the manager of a professional baseball team.

Those are solid backups, but they are not everyday MLB leadoff hitters.

What skillset does Pablo Ozuna and Scott Podsednik bring to the table that screams leadoff hitter and not 5th outfielder?

Mackowiak and Gload are both better players than Ozuna and Pods.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why he puts Mackowiak in CF for 1/2 of the games in the 2nd half, then complains that Anderson doesn't have enough at bats?

He was complaining? I think he was stating a fact. I think he was saying that he wants him to continue to get at bats and continue to work. I didn't hear his voice or see him say this in person, so I don't know for sure, but it didn't sound like a complaint. It sounded like he was stating a fact and stating a case as to why BA needs to get more work in and continue to get better.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
No. He invoked the name of Joey Gathright. World Class speedster. Terrible baseball player.

Ozzie's talking out his ass. He values speed WAY more than OBP, and it's not even close.

Sweeney is starting in CF and leading of because, as guillen said himself, 'he reminds me of Ozzie Guillen."

Well, there's no doubt you have to get on base to use your speed.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What skillset does Pablo Ozuna and Scott Podsednik bring to the table that screams leadoff hitter and not 5th outfielder?

Mackowiak and Gload are both better players than Ozuna and Pods.

Mackowiak possibly, but there has to be a reason he has never played full time. Don't you think? Don't you think if given a full time job that his OBP would not be the same as it is when he is only playing part time? Gload no way - that is a disaster. You really can't tell that he is not an everyday player by now?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pods is?

He has done it and done it successfully.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)

His .331 OBP this year says differently. And his career .342 OBP is not much to write home about. You cannot just turn away from the issue when Pods has quite clearly been SUCKING for quite a while now.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
Well, there's no doubt you have to get on base to use your speed.

And for three full months, Anderson has gotten himself on base more often than Joe Crede, AJ Pierzynski, Pablo Ozuna, Alex Cintron, and most notably Scott Podsednik.

He's throwing the wrong men under the bus.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)

But he is not doing it successfully now. When something fails....simply ignoring the problem and staying the course is usually a pretty bad strategy. After the last 2 months, I'll take the unknown who hasn't been a leadoff man before but who has been successful in other roles over the guy who has been a leadoff man but is failing.

And yes, you can read as much detail into that line as you want.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
Different teams respond to different tactics. This year's Sox is different then last year's. I don't understand why that's not being talked about either.

I've been saying for a while that Ozzie doesn't know how to manager this current personnel, and I don't mean just on the field.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His .331 OBP this year says differently. And his career .342 OBP is not much to write home about.

This year.

OBP is not the only thing involved in being a successful leadoff hitter. It is one thing, but not the end all be all. Speed does help. If I can get a .350 OBP guy with speed then I would be very happy. He would preferably know how to play defense as well.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
This year.

OBP is not the only thing involved in being a successful leadoff hitter. It is one thing, but not the end all be all. Speed does help. If I can get a .350 OBP guy with speed then I would be very happy. He would preferably know how to play defense as well.

This year, yes. Which is what we are concerned about. He is clearly not the same and has been downright f***ing awful for a while now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But he is not doing it successfully now. When something fails....simply ignoring the problem and staying the course is usually a pretty bad strategy. After the last 2 months, I'll take the unknown who hasn't been a leadoff man before but who has been successful in other roles over the guy who has been a leadoff man but is failing.

And yes, you can read as much detail into that line as you want.

Ok, but I am not going to put Gload out there. ANd I am not putting Mackowiak out there full time either.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And for three full months, Anderson has gotten himself on base more often than Joe Crede, AJ Pierzynski, Pablo Ozuna, Alex Cintron, and most notably Scott Podsednik.

He's throwing the wrong men under the bus.

HOW THE f*** did he throw Anderson under the bus?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
or not stating that. He wants him to get better. Does Ozzie love speed? Yes, you can tell that. He wants BA to go to winer ball and work on things and get better. What is so hard to understand.

I think you're having difficulty following the discussion. Nowhere did I state OG is a bad manager for telling BA "to go to winter ball and get better."

This is what I stated: "[Ozzie Guillen's] locked in to a belief that speed is a more important asset in a leadoff hitter than OBP. He greatly overvalues speed."

Kapkomet and I continued discussion on that topic, and then you replied to my post with the quote at the top of this post. Seems like a reasonable response.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
Yea, but if you read between the lines, he wants BA on base, and then to utilize that talent (speed) there as well.

Yes, Anderson needs to be on base to utilize his speed, but nowhere is it stated or implied that Guillen feels Anderson needs to improve his OBP.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This year, yes. Which is what we are concerned about. He is clearly not the same and has been downright f***ing awful for a while now.

I am not making a case for Pods. Never have. Where have I done this? I am saying that there is not a leadoff hitter on this team besides him. That is what I am stating. There is no way I am having Mack as the full time leadoff hitter or Gload even the part-time leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
There is no way that I am making a case for Pods. Jeeze! Where did I ever say that Pods had one of these? Did I ever say that? DAMN!

But you are advocating playing Pods, who has none of those 3, over guys who might be able to give you 1 or 2 of those 3, with your reasoning being that Pods is a leadoff hitter. But he's not giving you any of the attributes of a leadoff hitter, which is why we're focusing on this.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Easy killer.

Sorry, Tony, but it can get frustrating.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But you are advocating playing Pods, who has none of those 3, over guys who might be able to give you 1 or 2 of those 3, with your reasoning being that Pods is a leadoff hitter. But he's not giving you any of the attributes of a leadoff hitter, which is why we're focusing on this.

I am? Where? Where am I advocating playing Pods? I am saying he was the only one capable. Once he stopped producing we had no backup plan. I never once made a case for him to continue to be our leadoff man. Not once.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
I don't see a problem at all. I see more problems with players not executing in certain game changing situations that cost us games than I do Ozzie's moves costing us games.

While I think it's incredibly stupid to put Mackowiak in CF with a healthy (and recently-productive) BA available, I agree in general. The vast majority of the blame goes on the players for lack of execution.

However, Ozzie needs to knock this crap off. Even if he doesn't like BA's attitude towards winter ball, making comments like that to the press is completely unprofessional and counter-productive.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why can't Gload be an everyday LF, when the alternative has been Pods?

How about bringing up Sweeney sooner and playing him in LF. At least you know you will have one of the best defensive OFs in the league when BA is out there. Sweeney BA and Dye would be one of the best in my opinion. I think Sweeney can leadoff.