Ozzie's thoughts on Brian Anderson

fathom

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back onto this. Ok, here's a counterpoint.

Rob Mackowiak is not a full time leadoff hitter. Why? Because his numbers against lefties are terrible. .213 average this year.

However, against righties, Mack is hitting .320 with a .396 OBP. Scott Podsednik on the other hand is hitting .272 with a .347 against righties. And for some reason MLB's stats aren't working right, but I would wager it's even worse if you sort the 2nd half.

If Scott Podsednik is not running,w hich he is not, then there is no reason for him to be either a full time or even a part time leadoff hitter, when we have a guy on this roster who can be a part time leadoff hitter and give us much better production, even if it's just against righties.

The fact that Rob Mackowiak has been a backup his career does not change the numbers he has put up this season against righties, nor does the fact that he has never been a leadoff hitter change the fact that his numbers this season have been significantly better than the lefty we have been using as a leadoff hitter. In other words, based on what they both have done this season, Rob Mackowiak right now would, against righties, be a significantly better leadoff hitter than Scott Podsednik.

Has Mack leadoff before? Ever? Do we have any kind of significant data on him as a leadoff hitter for a lengthy amount of time?

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
How did he call him out? Respond please. Thank you.

Took me a minute to find it, but this was Ozzie about a week ago.

Need for speed — The Sox rank in the middle of the pack in the American League in stolen bases, a fact that rankles Guillen.

"We need more speed," Guillen said. "We're really, really poor in stolen base situations."

With three steals Sunday, the Sox have 73, seventh out of 14 teams in the AL. Scott Podsednik's 35 steals lead the team; no one else has more than eight.

Guillen, however, believes Brian Anderson could be more of a force on the bases. He has four steals in nine attempts. He also is hitting .231 with seven home runs.

"I think Brian Anderson is the fastest guy, (but) he doesn't know how to steal bases. He's got to work on it," Guillen said. "You have to go (with) either one. When you play center field, you go deep (hit home runs) or you steal bases, and right now, he's not doing either one.

"He's got to work on it. I think stolen bases are easier for him than being a power hitter."

- Sun-Times News Group

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
He is? Where did he say that? Ozzie is stating that his speed will be more valuable so concentrate and work on that. He is not saying to stop hitting for power. You are looking too much into it. I don't see anywhere in that article where he tells him to stop hitting for power and stop working on hitting for power. He is just stating to concentrate on wokring on the speed game. What is wrong with that?

Ozzie Guillen on Brian Anderson: "I told him he's got to go to winter ball and [decide to] be a power hitter or a baserunner. Either you go deep or steal bases."

STALLONED

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Took me a minute to find it, but this was Ozzie about a week ago.

Isn't he correct? Is he doing either one? Don't most CFers do one or the other? Besides Carlos Beltran I can't think of another who does both well. Wouldn't it be easier to work on speed? Isn't speed and defense a key ingredient to championship baseball? Look around the league and you tell me what is harder to come by and what is more valuable at the moment, a speedy leadoff hitter type or a power hitter? Our team is crying for a speedy leadoff hitter type.

That's calling him out? OK. Either our fans are thin skinned or BA is. I don't think it is BA and I don't think he is crying about it, so I think it is our fans. Someone needs to get over it. Hell if this is calling someone out then times have really changed.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
Isn't he correct? Is he doing either one? Don't most CFers do one or the other? Besides Carlos Beltran I can't think of another who does both well. Wouldn't it be easier to work on speed? Isn't speed and defense a key ingredient to championship baseball? Look around the league and you tell me what is harder to come by and what is more valuable at the moment, a speedy leadoff hitter type or a power hitter? Our team is crying for a speedy leadoff hitter type.

That's calling him out? OK. Either our fans are thin skinned or BA is. I don't think it is BA and I don't think he is crying about it, so I think it is our fans. Someone needs to get over it. Hell if this is calling someone out then times have really changed.

It's the fact Ozzie goes out and says this s*** about someone who has played at least average ball since the break, while guys like Pods had rarely missed a start.

The bottom line is Ozzie can say whatever he wants and get away with it as

long as we win.

There are no popular managers after losses. Just win baby and Oz will continue

to own Chicago. Lose and they'll fire him. It'll be the same story as Ditka.

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ozzie Guillen on Brian Anderson: "I told him he's got to go to winter ball and [decide to] be a power hitter or a baserunner. Either you go deep or steal bases."

STALLONED

Being a power hitter is much different than telling someone not to hit for power. He never said to stop hitting for power. A power hitter, in my eyes, is someone like Thome, Bonds, Pujols, Ortiz... He doesn't want BA to be all power and nothing else. He wants him to be more about speed and hit about 10-15 homers. That is what I am getting from it. I think he wants Brian Roberts type numbers from him, 10-15 homers and 30-40 stolen bases, and I don't see why BA can't do that. He has a ton of talent and a ton of potential.

You sure are stalloned. You are freaking high.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's the fact Ozzie goes out and says this s*** about someone who has played at least average ball since the break, while guys like Pods had rarely missed a start.

He has ripped Pods too. Don't you think he is being more careful with BA because he is a rookie? That is the way I see it. He has called Pods out as well and has recently stated he will be platooning. I know a lot of you guys have a man crush hard on for BA, but don't be over protective of the guy. I don't see him crying about this s***.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 03:34 AM)
He has ripped Pods too. Don't you think he is being more careful with BA because he is a rookie? That is the way I see it. He has called Pods out as well and has recently stated he will be platooning. I know a lot of you guys have a man crush hard on for BA, but don't be over protective of the guy. I don't see him crying about this s***.

Yeah, saying Pods is "pressing too much" is sure ripping him. I'm not one of the Brian Anderson lovers on this board, but I think Ozzie has treated him like crap on and off the field now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, saying Pods is "pressing too much" is sure ripping him. I'm not one of the Brian Anderson lovers on this board, but I think Ozzie has treated him like crap on and off the field now.

He has said more than that about Pods. He has said that he needs to improve defensively, that he doesn't understand how someone with that much speed can be that bad defensively. He has now platooned the man with a couple of career long backups. What is worse than that?

How has Oz treated BA like crap on and off the field? Because he is treating him with rookie kid gloves and not playing him every day? Picking and choosing the spots to play him? Sounds like most rookies to me. He has treated BA like crap off the field by what he has said in this article? WOW! Talk about thin skin. Get over it. Have you ever played ball? A lot more than this is said and done by a coach before it is considered being treated bad or ripped into.

Edited by southsideirish

Fathom do you at least agree you like all fans love Oz when we win?

Admit it ... last year after we won it all were there any negative thoughts in your

mind about Oz??

Go back in time as you celebrated all those postseason wins.

Any negativity at all toward Oz? Be truthful.

A year later, he's the same guy.

We are a twoweek win streak from all loving the guy again.

Not saying we will do that (knock on wood).

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Admit it ... last year after we won it all were there any negative thoughts in your

mind about Oz??

mind about Oz??

Don't expect anyone here to admit that.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 03:53 AM)
He has said more than that about Pods. He has said that he needs to improve defensively, that he doesn't understand how someone with that much speed can be that bad defensively. He has now platooned the man with a couple of career long backups. What is worse than that?

How has Oz treated BA like crap on and off the field? Because he is treating him with rookie kid gloves and not playing him every day? Picking and choosing the spots to play him? Sounds like most rookies to me. He has treated BA like crap off the field by what he has said in this article? WOW! Talk about thin skin.

The kid is near the end of his first full year in the majors, and Ozzie is busy talking about how he either has to become a power hitter or a speed player. How about he just becomes a stand-out defensive player and tries to hit .270 each year with 15 or so homers? It doesn't matter. The more I hear Ozzie talk about getting more speed, the more I feel like Pierre will be our CF next year.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mind about Oz??

mind about Oz??

Don't expect anyone here to admit that. I have been told that Ozzie had little to nothing to do wtih our winning the championship. Most people here have no respect for what he did last year. NONE.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 03:54 AM)

mind about Oz??

Nope, I don't care what the Sox accomplish on the field, you'll never hear me say that I love Ozzie. I congratulated him for being the manager of the AL Central winner, and then winning the World Series. Yes, I had some complaints about Ozzie when I thought he made brutal managerial moves (bringing in Hermanson to face Lane was awful, as was bringing in Marte vs the Red Sox when the umpire had no strike zone). The one thing I'll give Ozzie a lot of credit for is that he shut up during the postseason. He was pretty good during the offseason until a few weeks before Spring Training. Then, the ARod stuff came out in the paper, and he's been an idiot pretty consistently with what he says since then.

People seem to forget that during our bad stretch last year when the Indians almost caught us, Ozzie was making some absolutely terrible decisions. He was still leaving in our starters too long (Mr. Garcia), and we blew quite a few games during that stretch due to lack of urgency in his decisions.

I absolutely hate the way that Ozzie seems to criticize his young players more than his veterans. Who's to say that guys like Pods and Garcia don't need the same kick in the ass that McCarthy or Anderson do? My whole argument about this Anderson stuff is that I didn't see the need for these comments about Anderson right now. The Sox aren't sucking because of Brian Anderson only.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The kid is near the end of his first full year in the majors, and Ozzie is busy talking about how he either has to become a power hitter or a speed player. How about he just becomes a stand-out defensive player and tries to hit .270 each year with 15 or so homers? It doesn't matter. The more I hear Ozzie talk about getting more speed, the more I feel like Pierre will be our CF next year.

I read to "decide to become a power hitter or a baserunner." What is your definition of a power hitter? To me that is Jim Thome, David Ortiz, or any other 40 homer guy. What is your definition of a baserunner or stolen base guy? 30-40 stolen bases? That is what I think. I am getting from this that Ozzie wants him to becaome a 10-15 homer guy with 30-40 SBs.

He is not telling him to stop hitting for power. The power will be there just because he has natural power.

Ozzie has always talked about speed. Speed does help a lot. Speed and defense is championship baseball. Speed gives you a lot more options and a lot of different ways to score.

Don't expect anyone here to admit that. I have been told that Ozzie had little to nothing to do wtih our winning the championship. Most people here have no respect for what he did last year. NONE.

I have no respect for what he is doing THIS year. You give him his lifetime achievement award if you like, but actually want the Sox to win now and Ozzie is hurting this team and has been all year.

The simple fact is that extraordinary pitching carried the Sox last year. An amazing rotation and a great bullpen carried this team and that glossed over Ozzie's mistakes. I held out hope that maybe Ozzie really was the great motivator and he was perhaps responsible for players who performed better last year. But this year he has shown that he can't motivate anyone. He's not getting the most out of his players. He's not getting them to play with intensity. In addition to all of that, he can't fill out a lineup card and makes horrible in-game decisions.

I refuse to say that becaus Ozzie was the manager when we won the WS he is necessarily a good manager for all times. Just by watching the Sox play this season and looking at the decisions he makes, you can tell that he quite simply is not a good manager. In fact, he sucks.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 04:03 AM)
I read to "decide to become a power hitter or a baserunner." What is your definition of a power hitter? To me that is Jim Thome, David Ortiz, or any other 40 homer guy. What is your definition of a baserunner or stolen base guy? 30-40 stolen bases? That is what I think. I am getting from this that Ozzie wants him to becaome a 10-15 homer guy with 30-40 SBs.

He is not telling him to stop hitting for power. The power will be there just because he has natural power.

Ozzie has always talked about speed. Speed does help a lot. Speed and defense is championship baseball. Speed gives you a lot more options and a lot of different ways to score.

Brian Anderson will never, ever become a 30-40 stolen base guy. Quite simply, he's not that fast. I'd be pleased with 15 homers and 15 steals for him. I think he has the potential to hit for more homers than that, but I'm not exactly writing in Anderson as a future 2-3-4-5 hitter for the Sox. Put him in the 7th spot, and we'll be just fine.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, I don't care what the Sox accomplish on the field, you'll never hear me say that I love Ozzie. I congratulated him for being the manager of the AL Central winner, and then winning the World Series. Yes, I had some complaints about Ozzie when I thought he made brutal managerial moves (bringing in Hermanson to face Lane was awful, as was bringing in Marte vs the Red Sox when the umpire had no strike zone). The one thing I'll give Ozzie a lot of credit for is that he shut up during the postseason. He was pretty good during the offseason until a few weeks before Spring Training. Then, the ARod stuff came out in the paper, and he's been an idiot pretty consistently with what he says since then.

People seem to forget that during our bad stretch last year when the Indians almost caught us, Ozzie was making some absolutely terrible decisions. He was still leaving in our starters too long (Mr. Garcia), and we blew quite a few games during that stretch due to lack of urgency in his decisions.

I absolutely hate the way that Ozzie seems to criticize his young players more than his veterans. Who's to say that guys like Pods and Garcia don't need the same kick in the ass that McCarthy or Anderson do? My whole argument about this Anderson stuff is that I didn't see the need for these comments about Anderson right now. The Sox aren't sucking because of Brian Anderson only.

He has ripped Pods and his defense. He has started to platoon Pods. What more do you want him to do?

Hasn't he ripped Garcia's fastball? I believe he has.

Who cares who he rips? I really don't understand it. They players aren't crying or upset about it. Why the hell are you? Grow some thicker skin and move on. For the love of God man. Whe freaking cares. WHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
He has ripped Pods and his defense. He has started to platoon Pods. What more do you want him to do?

Who cares who he rips? I really don't understand it. They players aren't crying or upset about it. Why the hell are you? Grow some thicker skin and move on. For the love of God man. Whe freaking cares. WHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Well you obviously do considering you have like 60 posts in this thread.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brian Anderson will never, ever become a 30-40 stolen base guy. Quite simply, he's not that fast. I'd be pleased with 15 homers and 15 steals for him. I think he has the potential to hit for more homers than that, but I'm not exactly writing in Anderson as a future 2-3-4-5 hitter for the Sox. Put him in the 7th spot, and we'll be just fine.

Only really fast guys have stolen 30-40 bases a year? Really? I think you are a liar. Plus some think BA is the fastest on the team. I think he has more potential than you give him credit for. BA is pretty damn fast by the way.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 04:07 AM)

Because he keeps saying these types of things in the press, and he's going to lose his clubhouse. As a couple of informed posters have noted over the past few months, everything isn't as great as you might think in the clubhouse. I still won't forget the look of disgust that Thome and Dye had when they saw Ozzie chewing out Garland in that Rangers game.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
You counted my posts in this thread? Strange dude, strange.

Yup, I was just thinking to myself "what the hell, lets count up all of ssi's posts, I got nothing better to do." That or I just clicked on the replies and it showed me, you can decide.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 04:09 AM)
Only really fast guys have stolen 30-40 bases a year? Really? I think you are a liar. Plus some think BA is the fastest on the team. I think he has more potential than you give him credit for. BA is pretty damn fast by the way.

Who thinks Anderson is the fastest on the team? He might be the most graceful runner on the team, but Ozuna is far and away our fastest player. There are 14 guys in the majors with 30 or more steals right now, and everyone of them is a speedster (except maybe Pods, but that's another story). Every single guy on that list is significantly faster than Anderson. I don't have his career minor league stats, but since when have we projected him to be a 30-40 stolen base guy?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he keeps saying these types of things in the press, and he's going to lose his clubhouse. As a couple of informed posters have noted over the past few months, everything isn't as great as you might think in the clubhouse. I still won't forget the look of disgust that Thome and Dye had when they saw Ozzie chewing out Garland in that Rangers game.

You have no idea about the clubhouse or what he has the chance to lose so why comment on something you have no idea about?

I doubt very much that players are telling these "informed posters" anything that they can run and spread around. I have great difficulty beleiving that. I don't care how much confidence you have in someone, that just doesn't get out without reporters and others knowing about it if you tell "informed posters." I haven't heard it from anywhere else, so I am not buying it for a second. Plus, if this information is true, how could you trust someone that is spreading information that they were told in confidence and trust? I wouldn't trust someone like that, but that is for you to decide.

When Thome passed by him chewing Garland out? It didn't look like disgust to me. Plus how do you know what they are giving that look of disgust to? Maybe it is at Garland for not being able to hit someone? Possibly. I am just saying you are assuming way too much about things you have no idea about. Neither do I, but I am not speculating one way or another about it.

Edited by southsideirish