Bush Speech 9/6/06

Texsox

Terrorists. Gitmo. He wants trials with attorneys and everything. Detainees that have been in "secret" CIA custody have been transfered to Gitmo and will stand trial. Wants Congress to clarify a couple things. Sounds like a Clintonesque pulling together of both sides.

Military trials for terrorists.

Bush: CIA kept terror suspects in secret prisons

President Bush today acknowledged for the first time that the CIA used secret prisons to hold top suspects captured in the war on terror. Bush said alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is among 14 detainees to be transferred from CIA to Pentagon custody at Guantanamo Bay.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
Could you please tell me what specific protection the Geneva Conventions offer that you are uncomfortable with?

The part where terrorists get facials and lobster bisque, of course. . .

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Secret prisons, public prisons, does it matter? They are all detained, who cares where it is? I doubt they care or even know where they are for that matter.

Kap, that's not my point and you know it. I'm glad that they are detained too - but we should never have had a network of prisons that are undisclosed to the American public. And we should never have had them on foreign soil so that we can "get around" our justice system - UCMJ or regular old civilian legal system. If the way of life and system of government we're defending isn't good enough to take care of the people who are trying to bring it down, maybe those people have already made changes in our system that we don't want to give them credit for. You know?

I'm glad that the US has finally decided that human beings are deserving of basic human rights. It's just a shame that it took nearly five years to come to that conclusion.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)
Kap, that's not my point and you know it. I'm glad that they are detained too - but we should never have had a network of prisons that are undisclosed to the American public. And we should never have had them on foreign soil so that we can "get around" our justice system - UCMJ or regular old civilian legal system. If the way of life and system of government we're defending isn't good enough to take care of the people who are trying to bring it down, maybe those people have already made changes in our system that we don't want to give them credit for. You know?

I'm glad that the US has finally decided that human beings are deserving of basic human rights. It's just a shame that it took nearly five years to come to that conclusion.

I don't know about you guys but I feel a whole lot better now that I know we operated prisons outside of the country. I feel more complete. That made my day.