Big John Howell Leaving US-99??

HuskyCaucasian

For all you US 99 listeners...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder06.html

New morning plans blowing in the WIND

September 6, 2006

BY ROBERT FEDER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Two years after making a highly publicized but unsuccessful run at husband-and-wife team Don and Roma Wade, Salem Communications is getting serious again about launching a local morning show on news/talk WIND-AM (560).

This time, Salem is going after Big John Howell, veteran morning personality at country WUSN-FM (99.5), and Cisco Cotto, news anchor and reporter at news/talk WLS-AM (890).

Frustrated by low ratings for Salem Radio Network's Washington-based morning show hosted by Bill Bennett, bosses of the conservative talk station hope the team of Howell and Cotto will help breathe a little life into WIND.

Dave Santrella, vice president and general manager of WIND, declined to comment on his plans Tuesday.

But sources confirmed that Cotto has resigned from WLS to accept the co-host position, and that serious negotiations were under way with Howell, whose contract expires this week at CBS Radio's US-99.5. If everything works out, both could be on the air by the end of the month.

In October 2004, Santrella made what insiders called a "great offer" to lure the Wades from WLS. But the couple eventually chose to renew with the ABC-owned station.

In the latest Arbitron quarterly survey, WIND ranked 30th in mornings with a 1.0 percent audience share.

This is a litle near and dear to my heart because i interned at WIND not too long after it launched. I was there int he spring of 2005. If they can pull this off, i am SO excited for them. Thumbs up to Dave Santrella and the WIND staff if this gets pulled off.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
For all you US 99 listeners...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder06.html

This is a litle near and dear to my heart because i interned at WIND not too long after it launched. I was there int he spring of 2005. If they can pull this off, i am SO excited for them. Thumbs up to Dave Santrella and the WIND staff if this gets pulled off.

It still won't work. People don't listen to Big John for Big John. They listen to Big John for country music. That said, I don't know his politics, so if he raises enough eyebrows it may work - At least get them out of #30. They'll never catch Don and Roma, though.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
Personally, I think if WIND had a more diverse talk lineup, it would do them better in Chicago. It's gonna be really tough catching up to WLS as the number two conservative talk station in the market.

They should get Jay Marvin. :)

Is Jay working anymore? I should say, "Are there any bridges Jay hasn't burned?"

Jay, I believe is working in Denver as the local affiliate for Air America's morning program.

He's a phenomenal radio talent, and I don't believe left under any bad circumstances at WLS. He was pretty instrumental in their early/mid 90s growth and left originally because of issues related to his bipolar disorder (after a near suicide attempt he was strongly recommended to work a day shift). With a strong lineup during the day, that was something WLS couldn't provide at the time so he went to Denver.

He did mornings there for a few years, rather successfully and ended up back at WLS but I don't think they knew what to do with him - he got moved around so much and his partners seemed to always be at the end of a contract. WLS had changed by the time he got back and didn't need his liberal counterweight anymore.

I've heard him fill in on AAR for Springer, and it was some of the best radio that timeslot ever heard on that network. Of course, he was replacing Jerry Springer so the bar was pretty low.

I doubt AAR survives the next 12 months so maybe WIND should make a phone call to Denver.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
Jay, I believe is working in Denver as the local affiliate for Air America's morning program.

He's a phenomenal radio talent, and I don't believe left under any bad circumstances at WLS. He was pretty instrumental in their early/mid 90s growth and left originally because of issues related to his bipolar disorder (after a near suicide attempt he was strongly recommended to work a day shift). With a strong lineup during the day, that was something WLS couldn't provide at the time so he went to Denver.

He did mornings there for a few years, rather successfully and ended up back at WLS but I don't think they knew what to do with him - he got moved around so much and his partners seemed to always be at the end of a contract. WLS had changed by the time he got back and didn't need his liberal counterweight anymore.

I've heard him fill in on AAR for Springer, and it was some of the best radio that timeslot ever heard on that network. Of course, he was replacing Jerry Springer so the bar was pretty low.

I doubt AAR survives the next 12 months so maybe WIND should make a phone call to Denver.

I enjoyed him on WLS wioth Eileen Byrne. I don't remember why he left, but I thought it wasn't a "choice" move. Maybe I just assumed that since he was back and gone again so quickly. While I don't care for his politics, I thought he presented most of it well and he was always passionate.