Stat Heads

Texsox

Just wondering if anyone compiles a stat of frequency of runs scored by a team. Remembering the all or nothing offense of a couple years ago and wishing to compare it to this home run happy team. I'm wondering if this team is scoring 0-4 runs more or less frequently than the past couple seasons.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
Just wondering if anyone compiles a stat of frequency of runs scored by a team. Remembering the all or nothing offense of a couple years ago and wishing to compare it to this home run happy team. I'm wondering if this team is scoring 0-4 runs more or less frequently than the past couple seasons.

Do you mean something like this (comparison of runs from 2005 to 2006):

http://chisoxdaily.blogspot.com/2006/09/20...stribution.html

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)

Before the Boston series, they had only scored 2 runs or less 20 times this year which was far fewer than the 33 times they had done that at the same point last season, and far fewer than anyone in baseball this year. I believe they still only have 5 or 6 wins this season when scoring 3 runs or less. Basically, this offense scores a lot more runs more consistently than the team that won the WS. The problem up until Boston, has been pitching.

Perfect graph, what I was looking for. Now to figure out what it means :-)

I was thinking, prevailing wisdom is

small ball = more consistent offense

HR ball = inconsistent offense

That doesn't seem to be playing out as much this season. Last season the team scored 5 or fewer runs in 68% games, in 2006 that percentage is 56%. I am ot certain is that is statistically significant. This is not an area I usually bother with. I use 5 as a threshhold of when you can reasonably expect to win a game.