Ozzie haters

Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
Guillen's worth is measured by the fact that there isn't a "Buehrle Haters" thread right now. He takes ALL the heat so he players dont have to.

I'd rather see some of these players who aren't performing take heat right now. And Ozzie taking all the heat doesn't overshadow the fact that he can not manage, at all.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I looked, Ozzie wasn't hitting into double plays in key situations, missing sac bunts, giving up 7 runs in 4 innngs, coming in a 1 run game and promptly giving up a HR to make it a 4 run game, etc.

Despite all the talk about "throwing guys under the bus", Ozzie stuck with Anderson this year and he seems to have turned the corner (which is why Ozzie is now playing bad cop because he knows BA can take it), he insisted Garland extend himself in games in 2004 and 2005 and it's paid off big time.

He has one starter and 2 relief pitchers he can count on and his offense has been suspect as of late, yet we are 1/2 game out of the playoffs. Ozzie was a great hire and he and KW make a great team. We can't win it every year, but we'll be there in the running for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE(Duck @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Despite all the talk about "throwing guys under the bus", Ozzie stuck with Anderson this year and he seems to have turned the corner (which is why Ozzie is now playing bad cop because he knows BA can take it), he insisted Garland extend himself in games in 2004 and 2005 and it's paid off big time.

Well, if Ozzie stuck with Anderson and he has now seemingly turned the corner (including 2 hits yesterday) then why does he continue to platoon him in CF? Anderson goes 2-4 yesterday and yet he's benched in favor of Ryan Sweeney today. Wouldn't he want to sit back and enjoy the fruit of his labor and play Anderson everyday?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Well, if Ozzie stuck with Anderson and he has now seemingly turned the corner (including 2 hits yesterday) then why does he continue to platoon him in CF? Anderson goes 2-4 yesterday and yet he's benched in favor of Ryan Sweeney today. Wouldn't he want to sit back and enjoy the fruit of his labor and play Anderson everyday?

He brought up Sweeney to play him so he might just be platooning those two from here on out unless Sweeney looks overmatched which I doubt he will be. I'd probably rather see Pods sit. He's going to go with whoever is hot, and before you point out that Sweeney was 0-6 he hit 3 line drives right at guys last time out.

QUOTE(Duck @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
He brought up Sweeney to play him so he might just be platooning those two from here on out unless Sweeney looks overmatched which I doubt he will be. I'd probably rather see Pods sit. He's going to go with whoever is hot, and before you point out that Sweeney was 0-6 he hit 3 line drives right at guys last time out.

He's been platooning Anderson even while he was one of the hottest hitters on the team in August this being before Sweeney was even called up. I have no problem with Ozzie starting Sweeney, I love to see him hit it just doesn't make much sense to me for Ryan to get ABs at the expense of Brian Anderson especially when the Sox are lacking a starting LF and Sweeney is MUCH better in LF than he is in CF.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
Since the only thing we can judge Ozzie by is what happens on the field, he's been pushing the wrong button almost every single time for the last month. Not exactly what you want when you're in a pennant race.

You can blame Ozzie all you want, but the players simply aren't getting it done.

Look, no matter what you say, there is no way in hell that the 2005 team wins the World Series without Ozzie Guillen. I don't care what kind of spin you want to put on this.

<<<< Specifically, I've seen a lot of comments directed towards AJ's fluke play being the only reason we survived the Anaheim series. What. The. f***. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game was tied 1-1. Is there something I'm missing about that? Were we going to automatically lose in the tenth inning? I'm confused. If you honestly thought that that team was going down to that inferior west coast team, that's appalling. Even if we go down 2-0 we still win that series. Anaheim was running on fumes and they had too many injuries. >>>>

Back to the point. Ozzie Guillen's vision of rebuilding the White Sox was the reason the team was even put in a position to win the division last year. It was Ozzie Guillen who demanded that Kenny reconstruct the roster around what he wanted - with more speed at the top of the lineup. Sure, KW went along with it, and made the moves, but as I understand it, the impetus was from Ozzie. And even though Podsednik basically sucks now, he was the catalyst of last year's lineup and a true leadoff hitter is the reason why we were able to succeed with players like Carl Everett and a one-legged Frank Thomas DHing. It was that style of play that won. Not Carlos Lee and a bunch of right handed beefcakes taking batting practice.

Love him or hate him now, Ozzie Guillen is the reason why we got Freddy Garcia to re-sign in Chicago. Without Freddy, we don't win the series last year.

It was under Ozzie Guillen's managing that Garland was able to finally live up to his potential, something that Jerry Manuel was never able to have faith in.

It was Ozzie Guillen who kept the team's motivation up. Whatever that means, you cannot deny that the team last year NEVER quit.

There are several more reasons why Guillen was invaluable.

Suddenly now, he's the worst manager to ever don a uniform and people are calling for his head. Yes, he has made some atrocious decisions this year. But to discount his impact last season is ludicrous. Absurdly ludicrous.

He may not last even one more season in Chicago, but I will never, ever for a second believe anything else but that Ozzie Guillen was one of the most important reasons the White Sox ever won the World Series. Everything had to go right for us to pull that off. And that includes the manager being the manager.

It honestly sickens me to read some of these posts.

if he gets the credit last year. he gets the blame this year. if it's the players fault this year. they won in spite of ozzie last year. plain and simple. can't have it both ways

On paper this team was better than last year. It's not KW's fault or Ozzie G's fault. The fault lies with a burned out pitching staff. That's it in my opinion. Keep the same taelnt here for 200u7 and we might have a championship gain. I think gthe worse thing we can do is tear apart what's already in place. Do some fine tuning maybe, but not a fire sale

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
I have grown to dislike Ozzie in a very strong way, but I actually agree with you. Looking back on the 2nd half, the players have flat out choked. Oz can take a bunch on the blame, but Ozzie didnt lose us this division and WC, the players did.

I still say that having watched this team, if Brian Anderson had gotten up to 500 at bats, and thus Rob Mackowiak hadn't cost us so damn many games in CF with his defense...we'd be right alongside Detroit right now.

I can think of at least 5 games in just the 2nd half where Mackowiak starting has cost us key runs on plays that Anderson would have made with > 95% certainty, and another 5 where he's cost runs in games we won (thus taxing the pitcher and bullpen even more) or in games that wound up not being close (sometimes because the big hit was over his head in CF.)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
I still say that having watched this team, if Brian Anderson had gotten up to 500 at bats, and thus Rob Mackowiak hadn't cost us so damn many games in CF with his defense...we'd be right alongside Detroit right now.

I can think of at least 5 games in just the 2nd half where Mackowiak starting has cost us key runs on plays that Anderson would have made with > 95% certainty, and another 5 where he's cost runs in games we won (thus taxing the pitcher and bullpen even more) or in games that wound up not being close (sometimes because the big hit was over his head in CF.)

Even though I agree Ozzie's bastardization of our defense has been terrible, I just can't see this team making the playoffs even if we did have a competent manager. We've just collapsed on too many levels. This has ended up being a complete team failure in the second half.

QUOTE(Damen @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
Even though I agree Ozzie's bastardization of our defense has been terrible, I just can't see this team making the playoffs even if we did have a competent manager. We've just collapsed on too many levels. This has ended up being a complete team failure in the second half.

Yes it has. I blame Ozzie for some moves, but then again if certain players had done their jobs to begin with we wouldn't be questioning some of his strategy.

Perhaps the one thing Ozzie has done that bugs me the most (outside of not letting Anderson be the everyday CFer) is his insistence to keep Thome batting 4th against lefties. He's done nothing against them in a while. Why is he batting clean up when he should be batting 7th? Is it because he is a big name player?

Bob