Keep last night's lineup for good

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
I get the feeling Sweeney could stay in the lineup for good. Too bad we can't have him for the post-season, if we make it that is.

I thought he was added to the active roster on August 31st, no? According to Rule 40(a), a player must be on his club’s active big league roster or disabled list (or bereavement list, suspended list, or military list) on August 31 in order to be eligible for post-season play.

then again, I thought the playoff roster of 25 also had to be set on August 31st. So I'm not really sure.

And there is this from an article on the Rangers website regarding loopholes:

If you think teams don't shamelessly exploit this loophole, ask yourself why the White Sox recalled outfielder Jerry Owens from Triple-A on Saturday and promptly placed him on the disabled list with a sprained ankle. Owens has never appeared in a big league game. But having him on the disabled list will theoretically allow Chicago to ask for permission, going into the playoffs, to fortify its postseason roster with a player not on the roster by Aug. 31.

QUOTE(Molto @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
And it shouldn't be.

Here is the question: does Ryan Sweeney deserve to be in left field more than Rob Mackowiak, Pablo Ozuna or Ross Gload?

You can maybe say so for Gload since it'll be risky throwing his glove in the outfield this late, as he's going to have some rough games until he gets situated. But can you honestly say he deserves it, or is more suited, than Ozuna and Mackowiak? Both have hit over .300 all year. Ozuna has been the Sox's best leadoff hitter and main sparkplug and Mackowiak, with all the frustration that goes into him playing centerfield, is a proven hitter who is more than capable of handling left field, especially after roaming a tougher spot in center all year.

If Guillen announced today that Sweeney was the starting LF for the rest of the year, that would be pretty dumb. If Sweeney performs, great, but at this time, you can't simply overlook the job the bench players have done all year, so if you're going to take the job from Podsednik, which they should, and give it to ONE person, which they shouldn't do, it should at least go to Ozuna or Mackowiak.

I think I've made like 6-7 posts over the past week or so, which probably tops what I had the previous two years combined. Always lurking and observing, never posting.

IMO, Guillen is giving Sweeney a chance to take someone's spot--either Lf or CF. It may be a temp thing to kick start Pods and/ or Brian [maybe he's seen stuff that isn't public that we haven't, as Brian seems to be doing alright on O and D].

Sweeney may not be as capable as Ozzie hopes. But if Ryan can play solid d and get some hits, draw walks, make contact, move runners over etc, he could see a lot of time

I like that Ozzie played Pods lower in the lineup. Hopefully, this will relax him some. Also, since the offense is designed to wait until the big bats drive in runners, perhaps Pods will be "allowed" to be more creative on the base paths. I'd rather see Sweeney, Anderson, and Dye in the outfield, but if Pods has to play, I don't want him lead-off spot anymore. And yes, I finally acknowledge that Anderson has finally arrived. I still think he's a sucky hitter, but no one can argue he's among the best defensive outfielders in the game.

Lineup for the rest of the season should be something like this...

1. Sweeney, LF

2. Iguchi/Pablo, 2B

3. Dye, RF

4. Thome, DH (5th vs. lefties)

5. Konerko, 1B (4th vs. lefties)

6. Crede, 3B

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Anderson, CF

9. Cintron, SS

With Podsednik, Mackowaik, Gload and Pablo getting spot start somewhere in the OF or IF. And Uribe should never see the field unless it is as a defensive replacement late in the game and we are winning.

But, Ozzie refuses to put the team in the best position to win, and puts them in the best position to fail.