Sox fans, Brace for Changes

DBAHO

From Scot Gregor, it's an interesting one to say the least;

Shortly after the July 31 trade deadline, White Sox general manager Kenny Williams stepped way out of character and looked ahead to 2007.

At the time, Williams predicted a relatively quiet off-season, specifically mentioning the Sox’ only true need was a left-handed reliever to fill the long role.

Well, times have changed.

Thursday night’s uninspired loss to the Cleveland Indians cast even more doubts over the sputtering White Sox, but that doesn’t mean they won’t catch fire over the final three weeks and mount another charge through the postseason.

Despite falling for the sixth time in eight games, the Sox didn’t lose any ground to Minnesota in the wild-card race. And it’s not a complete reach to say the White Sox will chase down the first-place Detroit Tigers over the final 22 games of the regular season.

But let’s examine some pretty grim facts for a moment.

Since the all-star break, the Sox are 23-29. Manager Ozzie Guillen, in turn, has been pointing out the obvious: When the White Sox hit, they don’t pitch. When they pitch, they don’t hit. And sometimes, like Thursday, they do neither.

There’s been plenty of blame being tossed around lately, with Guillen asking for the lion’s share.

Bottom line, it’s still too early to be putting anybody’s neck on the chopping block, especially Guillen’s.

But it’s not too early to say Williams erred in his belief the Sox only need a minor tweak or two at season’s end.

As it looks now, they’re going to need one, maybe two new starting pitchers.

They’re going to need a new left fielder, a new center fielder and possibly a fresh face at shortstop. Then, Williams can worry about getting that left-handed relief pitcher.

If you think about it, Guillen deserves some manager of the year consideration for guiding this team to an 80-60 record.

In Jermaine Dye, Jim Thome and Paul Konerko, the White Sox have the most explosive 3-4-5 hitters in the game, and starting pitcher Jon Garland, third baseman Joe Crede and closer Bobby Jenks are standout performers.

Catcher A.J. Pierzynski and second baseman Tadahito Iguchi are solid, as is the Sox’ bench.

But there’s no getting around the disappointing efforts from the rest of the White Sox’ starting rotation, which, privately, has staggered Williams.

Additionally, the Sox have gotten next to nothing from left fielder Scott Podsednik at the top of the order and shortstop Juan Uribe and rookie center fielder Brian Anderson at the bottom.

In the bullpen, Cliff Politte wasn’t able to pitch with a blown-out shoulder, which required surgery after the Sox released him. Neal Cotts insists he’s healthy, but he’s been a shell of the pitcher he was in 2005.

The White Sox have plenty of work to do down the stretch if they want to make a run at a second straight World Series title.

No matter what happens, it looks like Williams is going to face a similar task in the off-season.

Guillen has already put Anderson on notice that he needs to make major improvements when he goes to Venezuela for winter ball. If the Sox decide to pull the plug on the 24-year-old outfielder, Torii Hunter and Mike Cameron should be available on the free-agent market.

But Guillen likes another rookie, Ryan Sweeney, who was called up from Class AAA Charlotte on Sept. 1. Don’t be surprised if Sweeney is in the starting lineup next year, either in center for Anderson or left for Podsednik.

As for the starting rotation, Williams figures to move either Freddy Garcia or Javier Vazquez to open a spot for Brandon McCarthy. But the Sox’ GM also like Baltimore Orioles left-hander Erik Bedard, so there could be multiple trades.

Try to enjoy the rest of this roller-coaster playoff race, White Sox fans.

Then, brace for a busy winter.

Where do I start on this.

1 - Sweeney over Anderson? Personally I think you could almost fit both, but I'd still like for Sweeney to get some more AAA experience under his belt.

2 - Juan Uribe. I've turned on him, beforehand I thought yeah with his contract and defensive play yeah you could keep him. But his defense hasn't been as good this season, and his hitting has gotten worse. It's a position we can certainly upgrade, and I think we should.

3 - Eric Bedard. Why would the O's want to trade their best SP? I mean if you could get Bedard and Tejada in a deal involving Garcia, Uribe, Broadway and more prospects etc. what do people think about that?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the whole Anderson deal is kind of "perception becoming reality".

Even though Brian has hit well since his dismal start, and often has very good at-bats even when making an out, so many people have decided that "he can't hit" that it's being seen as reality.

I don't think center field is a pressing need at all.

I agree with the idea of upgrading at short and adding starting arms, but that's not going to be easy or cheap.

This offseason will be interesting, to say the least.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
I think the whole Anderson deal is kind of "perception becoming reality".

Even though Brian has hit well since his dismal start, and often has very good at-bats even when making an out, so many people have decided that "he can't hit" that it's being seen as reality.

I don't think center field is a pressing need at all.

I agree with the idea of upgrading at short and adding starting arms, but that's not going to be easy or cheap.

This offseason will be interesting, to say the least.

MO, this is where Kenny gets himself into trouble....he has a tendancy of obsessing with certain players so much that ultimately, he ends up overpaying to get them. Javier Vasquez is the lead example of this. I wish that he would fly under the raider more when pursing these other guys.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)
Changes sound good. Trade Freddy and Buerhle to his f***ing Cardinals...move Brandon in the rotation and sign Zito...I'll take Count, Garland, Javy, McCarthy and Zito. I hate saying this, since Buerhle is one of my favorites.

Id much rather trade Javy, but yes, Buehrle and Vazquez cannot be in the same rotation. If its time for Buehrle to move on, the so be it. BUT GET SOMETHING FOR HIM, namely a pitcher. The Cardinals have a garbage minor league system as I understand it, not sure who we get for him ....

I am in the Anderson needs a second season camp. I see some parallels to Crede.

Buerhle, still a fan and think his 2007 will be excellent.

I'd prefer upgrades in left and short, long relief lefty, and Brandon in the starting rotation.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
I am in the Anderson needs a second season camp. I see some parallels to Crede.

Buerhle, still a fan and think his 2007 will be excellent.

I'd prefer upgrades in left and short, long relief lefty, and Brandon in the starting rotation.

I would be very surprised if we dumped Buehrle this offseason. Even the Cardinals would be very gunshy on this trade, as they recently traded for a soft tossing, declining, high paid lefty that hasn't worked out so well for them (and gave up Haren, Calero, and that top prospects whose name I can't remember in the process). Agreed with your last part too, even if it just means BA in CF, Sweeney in LF, Cintron at SS, a lefty out of the pen, and B Mac in the rotation with Freddy gone. Those small things alone would help a lot.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Id much rather trade Javy, but yes, Buehrle and Vazquez cannot be in the same rotation. If its time for Buehrle to move on, the so be it. BUT GET SOMETHING FOR HIM, namely a pitcher. The Cardinals have a garbage minor league system as I understand it, not sure who we get for him ....

I'm grown very sour of Buehrle these last several months.

If there were better options within our minor league system, or greater assurances of success between the remaining starters, I'd ship him out right now.

One glaring problem, and I"ve brought this up before, is the innings he provides our ballclub. It's the most irreplaceable facet of his game. Exchanging him for Anthony Reyes, for example, wouldn't come close to equaling the innings displaced between the two. When you factor in McCarthy (who likely won't exceed 170) and Contreras' questionable health, entering next season with yet another problem isn't a favorable position to find oneself in.

There's really only one scenario I would forsee Buehrle traded. If someone offered Williams an unbelievable package. One which made the possible black hole left by Buehrle easy to overlook. We'd have to be talking about the next Liriano, here. But Lord knows these type of trades never happen to us.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
This team, even if it misses the playoffs, is close. It should not take stick of dynomite to fix.

Close won't be enough.

Do you realize what we're up against concerning Minnesota and Detroit? Their pitching rotations may actually be BETTER in coming years with upcoming prospects.

We can't stand pat. Garcia's ass needs to go. There's one point. Others discussed within the article, ideally SS, LF, need to be addressed. Righthanded bat off the bench who could patrol all OF positions will be sought. These options are not exampling of a huge overhaul by any means, but more than a simple touchup is needed.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)
The pitcher I would get rid of would be Vazquez, although it will probably be Buehrle. Put Bmac in the starting rotation.

Pods is probably as good as gone.

Hell no, I wouldn't trade Vazquez. Even during his "five and dive" period, he showed an ability to dominate AL lineups for 5 innings. Garcia's domination of American League lineups consists of 5 inning, 3 ER games. These are rare.

Who doesn't expect Garcia to be shelled tomorrow? It's practically guaranteed.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
Close won't be enough.

Do you realize what we're up against concerning Minnesota and Detroit? Their pitching rotations may actually be BETTER in coming years with upcoming prospects.

We can't stand pat. Garcia's ass needs to go. There's one point. Others discussed within the article, ideally SS, LF, need to be addressed. Righthanded bat off the bench who could patrol all OF positions will be sought. These options are not exampling of a huge overhaul by any means, but more than a simple touchup is needed.

No way are the Indians going to be as bad as they were in the 1st half again. They have a strong base in their 4 main starting pitchers, and I'm sure they'll try to upgrade their bullpen this offseason.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
Close won't be enough.

You make it sound like we're Kansas City or the Cubs. Most every objective rating has this very team in the top 6 in MLB. A change of 3 or 4 wins would be a huge difference today in our playoff chances.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
Hell no, I wouldn't trade Vazquez. Even during his "five and dive" period, he still showed an ability to dominate AL lineups for 5 innings. Garcia's domination of American League lineups consists of 5 inning, 3 ER games.

Who doesn't expect Garcia to be shelled tomorrow? It's practically guaranteed.

I'll be extremely pissed if we get rid of a starter, and it's not Garcia.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
I'll be extremely pissed if we get rid of a starter, and it's not Garcia.

Exactly my thoughts personified.

Why would you want to give up Vazquez right now, that makes no sense to me. He had a 3.41 ERA in August in 6 starts and has a 1.13 ERA this month from his great start in Boston.

His value wouldn't exactly be at its highest right now, and there's a lot more possible future reward if we stick by him, which I'm sure we will. He also has 40 K's during those 7 starts, we don't have many dominating strikeout pitchers in this rotation (which I'm sure Flash will tell you). :D

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
I can't believe the amount of people that are ready to give up on anderson after one year.

He's shown so much promise.

It's quite sad that Ozzie uses stats and the matchups a lot for say the bullpen, but won't look at the promise Brian Anderson has shown in the 2nd half of this season.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)
Changes sound good. Trade Freddy and Buerhle to his f***ing Cardinals...move Brandon in the rotation and sign Zito...I'll take Count, Garland, Javy, McCarthy and Zito. I hate saying this, since Buerhle is one of my favorites.

Why would you dump one of our best pitchers for the past several years because of one bad season? He will pick it back up.

Its pretty obvious, at least to me, that the whole Buehrle problem is his back. Give the guy a winter of rest and strengthening work, and he will be fine.

With a stiff back he isn't able to finish any of his pitches and the net effect is that there is not enough of a difference between his change and his fastball, which makes them too close to the same speed, and it makes it much easier to adjust to one if you are looking for the other. When MB was consistantly 90-92 on his fastball and 78-80 on his change, it is much harder to adjust than when his FB is around 85-88. The other thing with his back problem is that because he can't get the good extension to finish his pitches everything is being left up high, where Buehrle is merely mortal as a pitcher. he doesn't have the prue stuff to pitch up in the zone, and he knows it.

Quit jumping off of the bandwagon, the kid is going to be back in Chicago next year, and he will be just fine.