Sox fans, Brace for Changes

DBAHO

QUOTE(WCSox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
I don't think that Gload's upside is high enough to keep him around if it's absolutely necessary to obtain a right-handed backup outfielder. Mackowiak could play 1B if need be. If somebody needs to be dropped to make space for a right-handed 4th OF, I'd rather it be Gload than Mackowiak, Cintron, or Ozuna.

Personally, I'd make it one of Cintron/Ozuna if I was dumping someone for a 5th outfielder. Why? First, because Cintron and Ozuna can cover most of the same positions. Second, because Mackowiak can cover some of those same positions (3b, 2b) as well (if he's not locked into CF), thus giving us 3 backups at each of those positions, which is more than I think we need.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Why do people think Sweeney is a natural CF? He's passable out there, and better than Rob, but he's much better suited for the corners.

BECAUSE BRIAN ANDERSON IS THE WORST THING EVER TO HAPPEN TO BASEBALL AND SHOULD NEVER PLAY AGAIN!!!!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
Personally, I'd make it one of Cintron/Ozuna if I was dumping someone for a 5th outfielder. Why? First, because Cintron and Ozuna can cover most of the same positions. Second, because Mackowiak can cover some of those same positions (3b, 2b) as well (if he's not locked into CF), thus giving us 3 backups at each of those positions, which is more than I think we need.

With Uribe prone to slumps (and not that great at the plate in general), I'm not sure that I'd want Ozuna playing SS for an extended period of time. You really need a good defensive player at that position and I don't know if Ozuna is good enough. If he were, I don't think that /KWOzzie would've brought in Cintron. And with Pods out of the picture next season, Ozuna will be the only speedy base-stealer left. Mackowiak can competiently play the corner infield and outfield positions and is too good a hitter (for a bench player) to dump. And with Ozuna and Gload pretty much equal at the plate, so I'd say that Gload is the odd man out. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind trading Sweeney and another prospect or two for a really solid leadoff-hitting outfielder. Crawford is a pipe-dream, but there may be a lesser player available this winter.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 07:03 AM)
I think the whole Anderson deal is kind of "perception becoming reality".

Even though Brian has hit well since his dismal start, and often has very good at-bats even when making an out, so many people have decided that "he can't hit" that it's being seen as reality.

I don't think center field is a pressing need at all.

I agree with the idea of upgrading at short and adding starting arms, but that's not going to be easy or cheap.

This offseason will be interesting, to say the least.

i couldn't agree more, people in the media should take some time to do a little research.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
No, but he comes with a .366 OBP about 40 sb's and good defense.

Oh, and the reds have two younger players that are ready to step in, which would make him expendable.

Complaments of Cot's Baseball Contracts

Ryan Freel inf

2 years/$3M (2006-07), plus escalators

* signed extension 12/05

* 06:$1.3M, 07:$1.7M

* 2007 salary increases:

o by $0.3M (to $2M) with 200 Plate Appearances in 2006

o by $0.95M (to $2.65M) with 650 Plate Appearances in 2006

* 1 year/$0.45M (2005)

* 1 year/$0.32M (2004), re-signed 3 /04

* agent: Tommy Tanzer

* ML service: 2.140

I could see us dealing Garcia to the reds since they're still in dire need of pitching and Bailey is still a year away, plus look at what Arroyo did in the NL and how well Garcia has performed against the NL. I still think the reds would have to throw something our way because Pitching > All.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)
There's absolutely no one that will disagree with you (well, maybe one person might). I can't see the Reds trading Freel now that they've given up Lopez (their other potential leadoff hitter).

they still have denorifa.

sorry for replying to everyone much later, i've been busy and im just reading the thread now.

Edited by beautox

Just a point I'd like to make regarding the lead off position next year...

Quick list of stolen base leaders in decending order:

Reyes, Pierre, Crawford, Figgins, Hanley Ramirez, Dave Roberts, Patterson, Suzuki, Soriano, Pods, Felipe Lopez, Freel, Rollins, Brian Roberts, Furcal, Jeter, Taveras, Abreu, Lofton, Vizquel, Damon, OCab, Phillips, Lugo, Cameron, Castillo, Byrnes, Gathright, Sizemore, Crisp, Weeks, Barfield

Out of that list, the only players I'd imagine would be available would be Pierre, D Roberts, Soriano, Lopez, Freel, Rollins, Taveras, Lofton, Vizquel, Lugo, Cameron, Byrnes, Crisp.

Trying to get younger, we can eliminate Roberts, Lofton, and Vizquel. Lopez' D is atrocious. I think there have already been discourses about reasons why Pierre, Cameron, Taveras, and Crisp would be bad ideas. Lugo is going to be overpaid. It probably wouldn't be wise to invest in a player having a career year at this junction, ie Byrnes. Are we gonna kid ourselves with Soriano? I used to be an advocate of Freel, until I drafted him on my fantasy squad this year. The problem with Freel is that he plays so hard and all out that he tires himself out and then hits huge slumps. The last thing we need is a feast or famine leadoff hitter.

In my estimation, if we can't land Rollins, the whole idea of a speedster at the top of the lineup should be abandoned. (Honestly, I think Rollins is a longshot just to be moved.) At the cost of sounding Beanesque, I wouldn't mind just going with someone who has a high OBP at the top of the lineup. Heck there are 4 players with more runs scored on our team than Pods: Thome, Dye, Konerko, and Gooch. Needless to say, you don't have to be fast on a team of sluggers to score runs (although it helps when you knock yourself in). A stopgap solution might entail a Brady Clark or Frank Catalanotto. If we weren't so loaded on lefties, I'd be up for a Ryan Church experiment too. Unfortunately, there just aren't many good options available for next year. Hopefully KW can be creative.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

If you think about it, Guillen deserves some manager of the year consideration for guiding this team to an 80-60 record.

To the Oz haters who blast me mercilessly for supporting him ... this guy

covers baseball for a living and wrote that sentence, so at least admit some

people think the guy can manage!!!

Thank you.

If you think about it, Guillen deserves some manager of the year consideration for guiding this team to an 80-60 record.

Thank you.

Thank you.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 02:48 AM)

Thank you.

I could find you articles from people who cover baseball for a living who think Scott Podsednik is a great leadoff hitter, which couldn't be further from the truth. Just because some guy who writes for the Daily Herald thinks Ozzie should be considered for manager of the yaer doesn't mean that it is reality. Hell in the same article he mentions Mike Cameron and Torii Hunter as possible replacements for Brian Anderson, which is a crock of s***, so yeah I'm not sure how much credibility Scott Gregor has right now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 03:23 AM)
I could find you articles from people who cover baseball for a living who think Scott Podsednik is a great leadoff hitter, which couldn't be further from the truth. Just because some guy who writes for the Daily Herald thinks Ozzie should be considered for manager of the yaer doesn't mean that it is reality. Hell in the same article he mentions Mike Cameron and Torii Hunter as possible replacements for Brian Anderson, which is a crock of s***, so yeah I'm not sure how much credibility Scott Gregor has right now.

I couldn't agree more, its like he just thru some Buzz names out there, like Toriiiii. Brian is our Future, embrace it, he isn't going anywhere except winter ball.

Now for what i would like the sox too do this offseason, as i've mentioned before on this site.

Deal Jose, hes arguably been one of the best if not the best pitcher in baseball for the past year before he hit his rough patch. Sell high and hopefully we can spin him and Uribe into Michael Young and some 'spect/s here is why i think we could get Young.

Texas is still very high on SS Joaquin Arias who they aquired in the a-rod deal; Uribe could be a stop gap for them because he has a club opition in '08 with a $0.3M buyout. Texas needs pitching(Vicente Padilla will be a FA) and with Zito's departure from Oakland (and for no draft picks ha!) Oakland will be weaker. Texas has always had the hitting but the pitching had eluded them, between Jose and Millwood they could cotend in the west. Seatle doesn't know if its coming or going, LA has a plan, and A's are going to get a blow to their pitching staff and have to decide if they want to commit to the big hurt. With the addition of Jose they could make the west a two horse race.

So to sum it up we give them Jose + Uribe, in return we would get Michael Young & some 'spect/s.

Deal Garcia, Cotts and Podsednik to the NL for 'spects

Re-sign Riske, Bring in Tracey and Boooooone! to the pen, let Sweeney take over in LF and leading off.

Sign MB + Crede up long term with money saved from from dealing Garcia + Jose, along with the money coming off the books for Hermanson 3.5mil .5buy out.

2007 Opening Day Roster

SP - MB, JG, Javy, McCarthy, Haeger

BP - Jenks, MacDougal, Thornton, Logan, Riske, Tracey

LF - Sweeney L

SS - Young R

RF - Dye R

DH - Thome L

1B - Konerko R

3B - Crede R

C - AJP L

2B - Iguchi R

CF - Anderson R

Bench - Mackowiak, Cintron, Ozuna, Gload, Stewart

And even if we can't aquire Young, we can try and get Lugo or some other top tier SS, if they're a lead off hiter, move Sweeney to the bottom, i don't think we need someone whos "fast" just athletic and gets on at a good clip.

Regardless i would deal Jose, Garcia, Pods, Uribe and Cotts this offseason. restock our farm and aquire the peices to make another run at the central/wc, next year if cleveland gets some semblance of pitching from both their starters and bull pen its going to be a dog fight in the central all season :). The twins are the twins, detroit after sucking for so long are finally seeing the fruition of those loosing seasons, and cleveland has alot of young talent.

Also to people that aren't high on Haeger, the organization is obviously high on him(exhibiton games against Atlanta, spot start, sept call up). He can get out ML hitters, and when his pitch is on its filthy. Having a knuckle baller on the staff allows us to keep a really tight leash on Javy and all starters for that matter. We have the least used BP in mlb for the past two years and that allows us to tax them even less. All our starters are having career worst years and i think next season we will see the emergance of Vazquez as a #1 and MB will rebound JG who has been great for the second half will come out strong, McCarthy will at the very least be average but i think he will be much more than that, and Haeger well its a gamble but its one im willing to take with Broadway waiting in the wings by mid '07.

As far as the starting rotation goes, I think you keep Vazquez over Buehrle, and Buehrle over Garcia. Trade Garcia to some national league team for some sort of pitching prospect (I've heard the Padres and Ceasar Carrilo tossed around). And Buehrle only for a mlb ready pitcher. Maybe we can pull a fast one on the cards, and get Reyes :D

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 06:28 AM)
even though you may not agree with it, at least my trade porposal makes sense and is quasi realistic, unlike a "podsednik for crawford trade".

Unless you're playing MVP Baseball 2005, your trade makes literally no sense, and shouldn't be considering quasi realistic. The Rangers won't trade Young, a 29 year old shortstop who is making hardly anything, along with prospects for a 40+ year old pitcher who isn't as good as Sox fans think - and is on contract for another 3 years, making about $30 million - and a poor offensive shortstop (albiet the best defensive SS in the league) making MORE money per year than Young.

That being said, it's better than the "john fields and another prospect for crawford" (or even better "javy and pods for crawford"), however that isn't saying much.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
I am in the Anderson needs a second season camp. I see some parallels to Crede.

Buerhle, still a fan and think his 2007 will be excellent.

I'd prefer upgrades in left and short, long relief lefty, and Brandon in the starting rotation.

A month and a half ago I wanted Anderson gone. I have come around to the conclusion that if BA could be a .270 hitter, he will sit just fine in center field for the Sox. The solid defense he has displayed has won me over, and he has hit at a much better clip the second half of the season.

Buerhle had been one of the most consistent pitchers in the Sox rotation for 4 years. However, he has never been overpowering. What we've seen this season is what I expect to see from him henceforth. He might be happier in St. Louis anyway. Barry Zito can replace him nicely, but he's going to cost 15 million per season.

Send Garcia to Haiti. He'll be happy there pulling hits off a bong and listening to some reggae. McCarthy will be much better, I feel. At least he will keep runners on first base.

I know Sweeney is still green, but bringing him in now is probably a calculated risk. I believe he will do better than Podsednik has done this year. But then again......that ain't saying much! If he hits .260 with 30 stolen bases, we should be okay, and his defense will make up for Podsednik's atrocious defense. He will catch more balls cause he won't play at the edge of the warning track like Pods does. Why the hell does Pods play so deep all the time, even against weak hitters?

Uribe, overall, is not that bad. But if the Sox replace Garcia with McCarthy they will save some change to sign a top-shelf shortstop. Still, I don't think they can afford Miguel Tejada, but he would look good in a Sox uniform.

"Half-game" Vasquez had been horrible during a 7 week stretch, but clearly he has much better stuff than Buerhle and Garcia. Maybe Coop can work his "bru-ha-ha" on him. I say we keep him. Then again, I'll have to stock up on Pepto-Bismol whenever he's on the mound.

Lastly, keep Thome out of the 3-spot. This will force the top of the offense to move around the bases a lot more than they did this year. It will likely cut down on the dreaded "shift" they put on him, as well.

With these "improvements", ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, our 2007 Chicago White Sox!

Crede's 1st 3 full seasons at the majors;

.261/.308/.433

.239/.299/.418

.252/.303/.454

Now BA's 1st full season

.231/.302/.365

What do you guys think of the comparison there, especially considering BA's 2nd half to the season?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Crede's 1st 3 full seasons at the majors;

.261/.308/.433

.239/.299/.418

.252/.303/.454

Now BA's 1st full season

.231/.302/.365

What do you guys think of the comparison there, especially considering BA's 2nd half to the season?

anderson hasnt even come close to showing the power crede did early in his career

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
I know Sweeney is still green, but bringing him in now is probably a calculated risk. I believe he will do better than Podsednik has done this year. But then again......that ain't saying much! If he hits .260 with 30 stolen bases, we should be okay, and his defense will make up for Podsednik's atrocious defense. He will catch more balls cause he won't play at the edge of the warning track like Pods does. Why the hell does Pods play so deep all the time, even against weak hitters?

Uribe, overall, is not that bad. But if the Sox replace Garcia with McCarthy they will save some change to sign a top-shelf shortstop. Still, I don't think they can afford Miguel Tejada, but he would look good in a Sox uniform.

I think just giving the starting job to Sweeney next year would be a mistake. Without a backup plan, it could conceivably be reminiscent of BA's first half. We took the shot in the arm there because all the other starters were veterans and known quantities. I'd prefer to have Sweeney start in the minors with possibly a stopgap solution in LF if we can't acquire the services of a great player. If BA comes out next year tearing the cover off the ball, THEN it would be better to take that calculated risk of Sweeney. If BA regresses or has a sophomore slump, then I would think it wise to hold off on Sweeney.

Tejada? I don't think we'd be able to pull that off, but in the event the Sox did, money would not be an issue. As the whole salary concerns were raised last offseason, it is evident that the Sox ownership reinvests their earnings into the following year's team. Considering the remarkable attendance figures this year, I expect the salary for next year's team to be AT LEAST as high if not higher than this year. Hopefully we can make the playoffs and really supercharge next year's available salary.