Sox fans, Brace for Changes

DBAHO

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
Please stop the "Because Crede did it, Anderson will do it, too". Just think about how ridiculous that arugment is when your really think about it.

I don't think BA will ever have as good of an offensive season as Crede has had this year.

However -- the comparison that I like most is to Torii Hunter. Jason (Chisoxfn) first made the comp, and I sort of blew it off. But, really, it's not unrealistic. Hunter's career line is .267/.322/.459. He's a league average hitter who plays great defense at a very important defensive position I think Anderson is capable of that. Even if Anderson is slightly worse for us over the next couple years -- say, .255/.315/.440 -- that's still pretty valuable, especially at the price we'd be getting it at.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
I know Sweeney is still green, but bringing him in now is probably a calculated risk. I believe he will do better than Podsednik has done this year. But then again......that ain't saying much! If he hits .260 with 30 stolen bases, we should be okay, and his defense will make up for Podsednik's atrocious defense. He will catch more balls cause he won't play at the edge of the warning track like Pods does. Why the hell does Pods play so deep all the time, even against weak hitters?

Sweeney is never going to steal 30 bases in a season. Don't expect it.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Please stop the "Because Crede did it, Anderson will do it, too". Just think about how ridiculous that arugment is when your really think about it.

Makes sense... its not like they are coming out of the same minor league system having learned from the same coaches into the same big league situation or anything.... Why wouldn't you compare them? They both have/had the same long swing they are/were trying to cut down on, after having success with it at the minor league level. They both have/had the same problem with the hard breaking stuff away. They both bring superior defense to the game even as rookies, and are working under pressure at the major league level to learn how to hit. I don't know where the comparison between the two players would come from at all though...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Makes sense... its not like they are coming out of the same minor league system having learned from the same coaches into the same big league situation or anything.... Why wouldn't you compare them? They both have/had the same long swing they are/were trying to cut down on, after having success with it at the minor league level. They both have/had the same problem with the hard breaking stuff away. They both bring superior defense to the game even as rookies, and are working under pressure at the major league level to learn how to hit. I don't know where the comparison between the two players would come from at all though...

Duh, havent you learned? Brian Anderson is a communist. Thus, you must compare him to Jose Contreras.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)

You are missing the point. You compared them as rookies. Just because Joe Crede has gotten out of almost all of those flaws does not mean Brian Anderson will, even though I do have the confidence to say he will do just that.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
Exactly my thoughts personified.

Why would you want to give up Vazquez right now, that makes no sense to me. He had a 3.41 ERA in August in 6 starts and has a 1.13 ERA this month from his great start in Boston.

His value wouldn't exactly be at its highest right now, and there's a lot more possible future reward if we stick by him, which I'm sure we will. He also has 40 K's during those 7 starts, we don't have many dominating strikeout pitchers in this rotation (which I'm sure Flash will tell you). :D

It's quite sad that Ozzie uses stats and the matchups a lot for say the bullpen, but won't look at the promise Brian Anderson has shown in the 2nd half of this season.

Ozzie does not use stats for the bullpen. He uses a theory that lefties can always get lefties out better than righties... and even vice versa.

Even though Boone Logan didn't do so well tonight, he has good stuff. A nice breaking ball, and a fastball that can reach 96 at times. So, what I am getting at, do any of you think Kenny might trade Cotts, and use Logan in the pen? I am a bit hesitant to trade Cotts, because he is still cheap, young, and did have a 2 era a year ago. And, he hasn't looked right this second half, either he is injured, or has to work out some mental issues.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
Even though Boone Logan didn't do so well tonight, he has good stuff. A nice breaking ball, and a fastball that can reach 96 at times. So, what I am getting at, do any of you think Kenny might trade Cotts, and use Logan in the pen? I am a bit hesitant to trade Cotts, because he is still cheap, young, and did have a 2 era a year ago. And, he hasn't looked right this second half, either he is injured, or has to work out some mental issues.

No offense to Neal....who we'll all still love for 2005, and who will spend decades telling his family tales of what its like to pitch in the ALCS...I am more and more thinking that this is exactly what we should do this offseason. My reasoning:

1. Thor's hammer. If we only had 1 left in the pen, this would be a terrible idea, because I honeslty don't want Logan pitching into the 8th inning in a tie game against Hafner yet. But we have a freaking NASTY lefty sitting down there in the pen to come in otherwise. So Logan's innings would be more limited, and less high-pressure than Thor's, and he'd have time to develop in that role.

2. Marte. Marte was the best lefty reliever in baseball in 2003 IMO (outside of closers). In 2004, he was a step worse, and in 2005, he was even worse. If we'd traded him after 2004, we'd have gotten a lot more than Mackowiak. If Cotts were to stay with us in 2007 and then we decide to give the Legend his role...his trade value would decline significantly if he were 2 years away from a good season instead of 1.

3. Our minor leagues. Seriously...the value of a Loogy who put up a 2.00 ERA and a 4.xx ERA in 2 years is vastly higher than it should be for most contending teams. We might be able to get people to overpay for Cotts more than anyone else in our lineup.

4. Logan. I really like what I've seen from the kid, he has a very tricky motion, and I think he really will be a good LOOGY very soon. I really want him to go to winterball this season, and hopefully he'll come back next season even more acclimated to his delivery.

5. $. Logan will hit arbitration several years after Cotts. That's a difference of 5-10 million dollars, depending on how Cotts performs the next year or two.

Whether or not this team hits the playoffs, and especially if they don't, I think penciling in Logan into the #2 Lefty role next year is probably the smart move, if we can find the right trade partner.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
No offense to Neal....who we'll all still love for 2005, and who will spend decades telling his family tales of what its like to pitch in the ALCS...I am more and more thinking that this is exactly what we should do this offseason. My reasoning:

1. Thor's hammer. If we only had 1 left in the pen, this would be a terrible idea, because I honeslty don't want Logan pitching into the 8th inning in a tie game against Hafner yet. But we have a freaking NASTY lefty sitting down there in the pen to come in otherwise. So Logan's innings would be more limited, and less high-pressure than Thor's, and he'd have time to develop in that role.

2. Marte. Marte was the best lefty reliever in baseball in 2003 IMO (outside of closers). In 2004, he was a step worse, and in 2005, he was even worse. If we'd traded him after 2004, we'd have gotten a lot more than Mackowiak. If Cotts were to stay with us in 2007 and then we decide to give the Legend his role...his trade value would decline significantly if he were 2 years away from a good season instead of 1.

3. Our minor leagues. Seriously...the value of a Loogy who put up a 2.00 ERA and a 4.xx ERA in 2 years is vastly higher than it should be for most contending teams. We might be able to get people to overpay for Cotts more than anyone else in our lineup.

4. Logan. I really like what I've seen from the kid, he has a very tricky motion, and I think he really will be a good LOOGY very soon. I really want him to go to winterball this season, and hopefully he'll come back next season even more acclimated to his delivery.

5. $. Logan will hit arbitration several years after Cotts. That's a difference of 5-10 million dollars, depending on how Cotts performs the next year or two.

Whether or not this team hits the playoffs, and especially if they don't, I think penciling in Logan into the #2 Lefty role next year is probably the smart move, if we can find the right trade partner.

that makes sense. If we can get a good deal for Cotts, we trade him. If we can't get a good offer, we could Just let Logan develop more in AAA, and see if Cotts can bounce back. If Cotts sucks it up, we could always DFA him and call up Loagn.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
that makes sense. If we can get a good deal for Cotts, we trade him. If we can't get a good offer, we could Just let Logan develop more in AAA, and see if Cotts can bounce back. If Cotts sucks it up, we could always DFA him and call up Loagn.

DFAing Cotts is probably a bad idea. Look what we got for Javy Lopez in the middle of this season. Even if we can't get what we want for him this offseason...we can always drop the price early next season if he's still struggling and take what we can get. Someone will give us something for a bullpen lefty no matter how much he's struggling, especially during a season.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
It's going to be interesting to see what we do at 3rd in the future considering Crede is going to have another back surgery.

I think Crede's back situation means that the statement one could have made last season even stronger: Josh Fields will not be traded away until Mr. Crede proves he's healthy and signs a long-term deal, unless a very, very good deal comes along.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 01:26 AM)
I think Crede's back situation means that the statement one could have made last season even stronger: Josh Fields will not be traded away until Mr. Crede proves he's healthy and signs a long-term deal, unless a very, very good deal comes along.
We all love Joe.. I know MLB players love to have some guaranteed money.. No one can deny he deserves it. We paid frank for like 3 years when he was rehabbing something or another.. GIve Joe a decent guaranteed salary and give him some incentives if he stays healthy.. He's already did more this year than what was expected .........................

QUOTE(forrestg @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)
We all love Joe.. I know MLB players love to have some guaranteed money.. No one can deny he deserves it. We paid frank for like 3 years when he was rehabbing something or another.. GIve Joe a decent guaranteed salary and give him some incentives if he stays healthy.. He's already did more this year than what was expected .........................

As a business decision...there's only so much you can do before major surgery before you know that a player won't come back after the surgery just as strongly as beforehand.

What happens if we sign Crede to a $9 million a year deal for 4 years or so, and then Crede's back surgery afterwards is unsuccessful, and we wind up paying $35 million for Crede while Josh Fields handles 3rd base for 3 years?

You have to make sure Crede survives the surgery first. After that, you have to sign him for a long-term deal, and then you either make Fields an LF or you sell him. You're taking a risk...if Crede's surgery turns out fine, you save a lot of money signing him beforehand. But if you wait, you risk having him turn in another .300/30/100 season, and raise his per year value even more before signing him. Personally, on that salary, with a reasonable backup, I go the conservative route, say we have Fields, and we sign Crede long-term ONLY if it's cheap enough.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
The amount of people who would rather keep Garcia over Vazquez is appalling.

I agree, Garcia needs to go BAD! Keep Vazquez on as the 5th starter or trade him too, but either way, Garcia needs to go!

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
I will predict right now we will sign either Julio Lugo or Juan Pierre this offseason.

Not a chance. Those two will be signed by some desperate team and make more than Jermaine Dye will.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
Its pretty obvious, at least to me, that the whole Buehrle problem is his back. Give the guy a winter of rest and strengthening work, and he will be fine.

With a stiff back he isn't able to finish any of his pitches and the net effect is that there is not enough of a difference between his change and his fastball, which makes them too close to the same speed, and it makes it much easier to adjust to one if you are looking for the other. When MB was consistantly 90-92 on his fastball and 78-80 on his change, it is much harder to adjust than when his FB is around 85-88. The other thing with his back problem is that because he can't get the good extension to finish his pitches everything is being left up high, where Buehrle is merely mortal as a pitcher. he doesn't have the prue stuff to pitch up in the zone, and he knows it.

Quit jumping off of the bandwagon, the kid is going to be back in Chicago next year, and he will be just fine.

I agree 100%. Mark is a keeper and should be a White sox for a long time.

One question that needs to be answered is the amount of spending money we'll have in the offseason. I would try to make a play for Soriano if that's feasible after dumping one or two of our starting pitchers. One of the two starting spots would go to McCarthy and then I'd sign a 5th starter type who can give you some innings (Lidle?).

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)
One question that needs to be answered is the amount of spending money we'll have in the offseason. I would try to make a play for Soriano if that's feasible after dumping one or two of our starting pitchers. One of the two starting spots would go to McCarthy and then I'd sign a 5th starter type who can give you some innings (Lidle?).

Soriano in a Sox uniform would be awesome, but he's going to command an absolute ton of money. I'd rather throw Sweeney out in LF and spend the money on something else (e.g., a long-term deal for Buehrle, assuming that his back is better and he's pitching well at this time next season).