Sox fans, Brace for Changes

DBAHO

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
These guys are tired. Tired, tired, tired. they don't need to be shipped out, they need to be coddled in the off-season. Relax and recharge.

There will be an upgrade in LF and there will be one pitcher gone. After that, I think the Ryan Sweeney era has begun in CF.

Tired mentally as well as physically. Having the bullseye on your back every night takes a lot out of you.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
And wastes a ton of talent in the process.

More than likely that's true, but if KW/Ozzie are stupid and go out and try to get someone like Hunter to play CF, then I wouldn't mind having someone with Anderson's ability on the bench. I always thought Rowand would have been an amazing 4th outfielder that would play against LHP.

This is what I would do...

1. Trade Freddy for mid-level prospects or whatever, trying to eat as little of that $10 million as possible. Move B-Mac into his spot in '07.

2. Dump Pods and give Sweeney a shot in LF, possibly platooning with Mackowiak.

3. Pick up Buehrle's option for next season. I'm not convinced that he's healthy right now (he's had back problems recently), so I don't think that he's lost it.

4. Keep Anderson in CF.

5. Keep Uribe at SS.

6. Look to trade for a leadoff hitter with speed.

Edited by WCSox

I wouldn't be too upset if we packaged Anderson with someone for a good player, and I'd love some Sweeney on the Southside next year. I'm not sold on Anderson as an "All-Star down the road" but I do think he's a solid player, of course. Still, he's not an untouchable IMO, but then again, no one is, for the right price.

I love the fact that Kenny is interested in more, better pitching. Oh, the possibilities.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
This is what I would do...

1. Trade Freddy for mid-level prospects or whatever, trying to eat as little of that $10 million as possible. Move B-Mac into his spot in '07.

2. Dump Pods and give Sweeney a shot in LF, possibly platooning with Mackowiak.

3. Pick up Buehrle's option for next season. I'm not convinced that he's healthy right now (he's had back problems recently), so I don't think that he's lost it.

4. Keep Anderson in CF.

5. Keep Uribe at SS.

6. Look to trade for a leadoff hitter with speed.

Where is the leadoff hitter going to play, as you have all the positions covered? Also, why would you platoon Sweeney with Mackowiak? That doesn't make much sense. I do agree 100 pct with you that we need to dump Freddy, no matter what we get in return. It's too bad we didn't do that at the trade deadline.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
But it may be necessary if Sweeney doesn't hit.

HOW ABOUT THE SOX ACQUIRE A 4TH OUTFIELDER WHO CAN PLAY NUMEROUS OUTFIELD POSITIONS AND BAT RIGHTY!!!!!

Frankly, I think alot of people dont realize that the offense doesnt really seem to be the problem. Pitching is our need. If we get rid of FG and insert BMAC, we need some more bullpen help. Our leadoff issue is the only thing that I think is glaring. That should be our #1 priority when it comes to our offense. If we have someone who can hit singles, I think the lineup will fall into order quite nicely.

I also do not see BA producing at a .200 clip next year. There is no reason to get rid of him, and making him a 4th Of'er is ridiculous and I would rather ship him than see that happen.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Frankly, I think alot of people dont realize that the offense doesnt really seem to be the problem. Pitching is our need. If we get rid of FG and insert BMAC, we need some more bullpen help.

Do people think Sean Tracey has any chance of taking over BMac's role next year? (We'd still need a righty to replace Riske...but we might be able to pull that off by dealing Cotts)

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Where is the leadoff hitter going to play, as you have all the positions covered? Also, why would you platoon Sweeney with Mackowiak? That doesn't make much sense. I do agree 100 pct with you that we need to dump Freddy, no matter what we get in return. It's too bad we didn't do that at the trade deadline.

HOW ABOUT THE SOX ACQUIRE A 4TH OUTFIELDER WHO CAN PLAY NUMEROUS OUTFIELD POSITIONS AND BAT RIGHTY!!!!!

Well, I obviously don't have all of the positions covered. The Sox could certainly use a leadoff hitter, but there isn't a guy currently in the organization (besides Pods) who would fit that role. Iguchi would be the closest, IMO. Platooning Sweeney with Mackowiak would ease Sweeney into role and take pressure off of him, although it's not necessary. I don't see the problem with platooning two lefties as long as Gload is still on the bench.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
Well, I obviously don't have all of the positions covered. The Sox could certainly use a leadoff hitter, but there isn't a guy currently in the organization (besides Pods) who would fit that role. Iguchi would be the closest, IMO. Platooning Sweeney with Mackowiak would ease Sweeney into role and take pressure off of him, although it's not necessary. I don't see the problem with platooning two lefties as long as Gload is still on the bench.

Um, Gload is also a lefty. So in other words...all 3 of your players who could back up the outfield are lefties.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)

You'd be platooning 2 lefties who don't hit left hand pitching all that well so basically you're going with the automatic out against a left hand pitcher.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
Do people think Sean Tracey has any chance of taking over BMac's role next year? (We'd still need a righty to replace Riske...but we might be able to pull that off by dealing Cotts)

Right now I think Chuckie Haegar has moved quietly ahead of one Sean Tracey on the depth chart. I think the team likes his vercitility and the fact that he gives a great contrast to all of the hard throwers in the pen. Can you imagine trying to hit that knuckleball then trying to hit Mike McDougall, Matt Thornton, and/or Bobby Jenks after that? Brrrr.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Right now I think Chuckie Haegar has moved quietly ahead of one Sean Tracey on the depth chart. I think the team likes his vercitility and the fact that he gives a great contrast to all of the hard throwers in the pen. Can you imagine trying to hit that knuckleball then trying to hit Mike McDougall, Matt Thornton, and/or Bobby Jenks after that? Brrrr.

I can imagine that...but I just can't imagine that a kid throwing a knuckler would be a reliable option out of the bullpen. Nothing against him no matter how good he is, but I just think that with a pitch like that, he's bound to struggle more often than necessary coming out of the pen, solely because it'll take him several batters to get the feel for the pitch, and that could lead to a bunch of walks or him falling behind in counts and having to throw his fastball right when he comes in (and that would be exceptionally bad if there were already runners on base)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
Um, Gload is also a lefty. So in other words...all 3 of your players who could back up the outfield are lefties.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
You'd be platooning 2 lefties who don't hit left hand pitching all that well so basically you're going with the automatic out against a left hand pitcher.

Given that Pods is pretty much an automatic out against ANYBODY right now and is a below-average left-fielder, platooning lefties who can hit SOMEBODY and play LF competently is a step forward. I'd have no problem sending Gload down and either bringing up or trading for a right-handed backup corner-outfielder. That can be done easily. But I'm not convinced that Sweeney is going to hit major-league pitching right away and it might be better to platoon him with Mackowiak at first. Nobody wants another sub-Mendoza Line rookie in the outfield again next year, especially given that Anderson still has a lot to prove at the plate.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
Given that Pods is pretty much an automatic out against ANYBODY right now and is a below-average left-fielder, platooning lefties who can hit SOMEBODY and play LF competently is a step forward. I'd have no problem sending Gload down and either bringing up or trading for a right-handed backup corner-outfielder. That can be done easily. But I'm not convinced that Sweeney is going to hit major-league pitching right away and it might be better to platoon him with Mackowiak at first. Nobody wants another sub-Mendoza Line rookie in the outfield again next year, especially given that Anderson still has a lot to prove at the plate.

Gload is out of options and can not be sent down.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
Then release him. Or would that be a bad move as well? :rolleyes

With Jim Thome still on this team...I believe it would be a bad one. Gload gives us a backup plan at 1st base if either Konerko or Thome are hurting...and I don't want Jim Thome playing first to be the backup option when Konerko needs time off.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
With Jim Thome still on this team...I believe it would be a bad one. Gload gives us a backup plan at 1st base if either Konerko or Thome are hurting...and I don't want Jim Thome playing first to be the backup option when Konerko needs time off.

I don't think that Gload's upside is high enough to keep him around if it's absolutely necessary to obtain a right-handed backup outfielder. Mackowiak could play 1B if need be. If somebody needs to be dropped to make space for a right-handed 4th OF, I'd rather it be Gload than Mackowiak, Cintron, or Ozuna.