Sox fans, Brace for Changes

DBAHO

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 03:50 AM)
I agree, Garcia needs to go BAD! Keep Vazquez on as the 5th starter or trade him too, but either way, Garcia needs to go!

I would actually love to see Vazquez starting next year in the 3rd game of the year. I wouldn't mind him starting game 2 of the ALDS for the Sox either...but maybe that's just me looking at some splitss. SILLY ME.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
I would love to see Jimmy Rollins in a white sox uni next year. You think Pods and Uribe would get it done? Probably would have to throw in a prospect...

That would absolutely not get it done. Phils are in the process of dumping older players and/or bad contracts. They'd want pitching and/or high level prospects in the event they even decided to trade him. That said, I'd love Rollins. He's like a Crawford-lite.

On a side note, does anybody know what the stipulations are of a typical no-trade clause? Once a player waives his no-trade clause and is traded to another team, is the clause forever removed or does he still retain that right to veto any trade?

I would actually love to see Vazquez starting next year in the 3rd game of the year. I wouldn't mind him starting game 2 of the ALDS for the Sox either...but maybe that's just me looking at some splitss. SILLY ME.

Great, that's all we need is another speedy, but low-OBP "grinder". Instead of more grinders, this needs more good baseball players. That means that they get on base and have at least line drive power.

I agree with the article mostly. Unlike most in here, I am not in love with Anderson, but refrain from bashing him as he is a young guy from our system that is still unproven. In the least, we need a contigency for him next year.

As far as getting Bedard, that will never happen...we don't have the prospects anymore to give up. Our best pitching prospects are not going to impress anyone.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
Great, that's all we need is another speedy, but low-OBP "grinder". Instead of more grinders, this needs more good baseball players. That means that they get on base and have at least line drive power.

I can obviously tell this wasn't directed at me, but what the hell's wrong with Jimmy Rollins, if the price were to be right?

I don't want him leading off, and he's a better 2-hole hitter, but players like Crawford, Rollins, Reyes, and even Furcal and Lugo don't need to get on at a .380 clip to be successful leadoff hitters. Due to their speed, they can get on at a .330 clip and still score a lot of runs, what with XBH's, stolen bases, and scoring from first on a gapper. The Sox have virtually no one that can score from first on a gapper right now.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
AT this point I'm ready to part with McCarthy as long as it brings up back a starting pitcher

Let Charlie Haeger or Lance Broadway become the new McCarthy.

:huh:

I'm assuming your saying this out of frustration from today's game?

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:huh:

I'm assuming your saying this out of frustration from today's game?

Nah, he sucked hardcore saturday night too.

He can't pitch out of the bullpen when there's guys on base, the game is tied, or when we have the lead.

Let him start elsewhere. The management here won't start him, so if we can get a decent starter back in a big trade involving McCarthy, I say do it.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
Nah, he sucked hardcore saturday night too.

He can't pitch out of the bullpen when there's guys on base, the game is tied, or when we have the lead.

Let him start elsewhere. The management here won't start him, so if we can get a decent starter back in a big trade involving McCarthy, I say do it.

I stand by my statement 100 percent that KW should have done that Soriano deal if we could have extended his deal.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 02:40 AM)
Hilarious how a previous poster mention Thome recent second half struggles with his "clutchness" by pointing out his BA in those situations.

Anyone who says Anderson has been clutch is insane. He has more "worthless" hits when the game is out of hand then anyone on the team.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)
I can obviously tell this wasn't directed at me, but what the hell's wrong with Jimmy Rollins, if the price were to be right?

I don't want him leading off, and he's a better 2-hole hitter, but players like Crawford, Rollins, Reyes, and even Furcal and Lugo don't need to get on at a .380 clip to be successful leadoff hitters. Due to their speed, they can get on at a .330 clip and still score a lot of runs, what with XBH's, stolen bases, and scoring from first on a gapper. The Sox have virtually no one that can score from first on a gapper right now.

The players you mentioned have at least SOME semblance of power. When a leadoff hitter hits a few homeruns, he can score himself 10-20 more times per season.

Honestly though, how many leadoff hitters have an outstanding OBP this year? Youklis and Sizemore are the only two at .380 or higher. Youk's not fast and Sizemore, while quick, doesn't have blazing speed.

Pods is hardly the success story when it comes to stealing bases. He doesn't have that natural speed and relies on technique. Bottom line is he isn't that fast and gets caught far too often. He lacks any sort of power which would help negate his .330ish OBP like it does for Rollins. You could even make a case for him if he was a great defensive OFer. But alas, he brings little to nothing to the table. Getting that high OBP, fast, moderately powerful guy to lead off would be ideal, but there are only a couple of those in the league. I'd settle for either the Youk-type, who can get on base at a great clip, or a fast/moderately powerful/good D Rollins-type. Outside of actually getting Rollins, I think the best available option would be a high OBP guy. I really hope the Phils continue their sale, and we can somehow get Rollins though.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
I would love to see Jimmy Rollins in a white sox uni next year. You think Pods and Uribe would get it done? Probably would have to throw in a prospect...

Definitely. We could then probably swing Pablo Ozuna for Johan Santana, I heard the Twins are getting sick of his winning ways and want to add another piranha to their team.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
Definitely. We could then probably swing Pablo Ozuna for Johan Santana, I heard the Twins are getting sick of his winning ways and want to add another piranha to their team.

Except that Uribe and Podsednik is a potential realistic option for Philadelphia, seeing as how Rollins is making $7 mill in each of the next 2 seasons, $7.5 mill the two after that, along with an $8.5 mill option or a $2 mill buyout. If they can get out of that, I'm sure they'd take the salary cut this year in Pods and Uribe, along with shorter contracts. It's also not like Philly is loaded with OFers...they would have some use for Podsednik, and then obviously Uribe as well.

A prospect would undoubtedly need to be thrown in, but we are not talking about a stupid offer here. I tend to think it's pretty close, especially if they can't find a taker for Burrell, and I doubt they will with the $27 mill he'll earn in 07 and 08. Gillick is still trying to dump salary over there, because that was a big friggin mess Wade got that team into.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 07:13 AM)
Not a chance. Those two will be signed by some desperate team and make more than Jermaine Dye will.

I agree 100%. Mark is a keeper and should be a White sox for a long time.

The sox were also getting carlos pena this off-season.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
The players you mentioned have at least SOME semblance of power. When a leadoff hitter hits a few homeruns, he can score himself 10-20 more times per season.

Honestly though, how many leadoff hitters have an outstanding OBP this year? Youklis and Sizemore are the only two at .380 or higher. Youk's not fast and Sizemore, while quick, doesn't have blazing speed.

Pods is hardly the success story when it comes to stealing bases. He doesn't have that natural speed and relies on technique. Bottom line is he isn't that fast and gets caught far too often. He lacks any sort of power which would help negate his .330ish OBP like it does for Rollins. You could even make a case for him if he was a great defensive OFer. But alas, he brings little to nothing to the table. Getting that high OBP, fast, moderately powerful guy to lead off would be ideal, but there are only a couple of those in the league. I'd settle for either the Youk-type, who can get on base at a great clip, or a fast/moderately powerful/good D Rollins-type. Outside of actually getting Rollins, I think the best available option would be a high OBP guy. I really hope the Phils continue their sale, and we can somehow get Rollins though.

you forgot freel.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
Except that Uribe and Podsednik is a potential realistic option for Philadelphia, seeing as how Rollins is making $7 mill in each of the next 2 seasons, $7.5 mill the two after that, along with an $8.5 mill option or a $2 mill buyout. If they can get out of that, I'm sure they'd take the salary cut this year in Pods and Uribe, along with shorter contracts. It's also not like Philly is loaded with OFers...they would have some use for Podsednik, and then obviously Uribe as well.

A prospect would undoubtedly need to be thrown in, but we are not talking about a stupid offer here. I tend to think it's pretty close, especially if they can't find a taker for Burrell, and I doubt they will with the $27 mill he'll earn in 07 and 08. Gillick is still trying to dump salary over there, because that was a big friggin mess Wade got that team into.

If that's all it took to get Rollins, I'd be ecstatic. Rollins is doing a fantastic job of leading off in front of Utley and Howard, imo. In this market, $7 mil/year for Rollins isn't so bad considering Furcal just got $13/year and Lugo looks to be getting $8/year this offseason. It's not like he's that old either. I honestly think it would take either McCarthy or Broadway in addition to Uribe (and praise them if they take Pods) to bite.

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 01:43 AM)
you forgot freel.

I might be up for Freel. The knock on him is his longevity/endurance. He plays so balls to the wall that he tires himself out and goes through long slumps. He's been very effective when used sparingly, but when he plays for an extended period of time, he slumps. However, with the way Oz handles his bench, he'd probably get ample rest during the season.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
I might be up for Freel. The knock on him is his longevity/endurance. He plays so balls to the wall that he tires himself out and goes through long slumps. He's been very effective when used sparingly, but when he plays for an extended period of time, he slumps. However, with the way Oz handles his bench, he'd probably get ample rest during the season.

To borrow Kalapse's description of Freel...

"He's an alcoholic drug user with multiple DUI convictions and has an imaginary midget named Farney who lives in his f***ing head."

That's the knock on him. Not that he tries too hard.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
To borrow Kalapse's description of Freel...

"He's an alcoholic drug user with multiple DUI convictions and has an imaginary midget named Farney who lives in his f***ing head."

That's the knock on him. Not that he tries too hard.

Whoa... that sounds like a personal attack!!!

:lolhitting