Official NFL Thread

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
Dillon aging is a reason for not choosing Maroney and him in the future, but Rock was referring to the best tandem left in the playoffs. If we're talking this season, what running back tandem will give the team they play for the best chance of winning, I think you could make a case for New England, New Orleans and Chicago. That is all.

Dillon is already aged though, They are still a good tandem those 2 but of the 3 they are without a doubt the 3rd best one.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet anecdote about Belichick, Red. I love the guy, and I'm glad to read something classy about him. You're no LT, but I'll still take your word for it. :)

--

I'd be amazed if the Colts beat the Patriots. I think they're going all the way. The Patriots. Solid team, stingy defense, and a pick-apart coaching staff.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
I'd be amazed if the Colts beat the Patriots. I think they're going all the way. The Patriots. Solid team, stingy defense , and a pick-apart coaching staff.

Maybe it is just me, but I find it a bit ironic that you are picking the Patriots due to defense, but they've allowed 699 total yards of offense to their two opponents this year, which is 329 more yards allowed than the Colts. And while the Pats have played better offensive talent, it's not 329 yards worth of talent.

Indy's playing better defense - thanks in large part to the return of Bob Sanders - and I see Indy winning from the foot of Vinatieri.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sweet anecdote about Belichick, Red. I love the guy, and I'm glad to read something classy about him. You're no LT, but I'll still take your word for it. :)

It just makes me laugh to hear that he's not classy. He's done nothing to show that and for people to take the side of LT when he's clearly being a poor sport is foolish, in my opinion. Somehow it's alright for the Bears to mock the Giants with the "fade-away jumper" but it isn't alright for the Patriots to mock the Merriman steroid injection dance. Just doesn't seem right.

P.S. I'm referring to Bears fans I've talked to, more so than I am Bears fans on this board.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
It just makes me laugh to hear that he's not classy. He's done nothing to show that and for people to take the side of LT when he's clearly being a poor sport is foolish, in my opinion. Somehow it's alright for the Bears to mock the Giants with the "fade-away jumper" but it isn't alright for the Patriots to mock the Merriman steroid injection dance. Just doesn't seem right.

P.S. I'm referring to Bears fans I've talked to, more so than I am Bears fans on this board.

Well to be fair its a little bit different to do something like that during a game than it is for someone to dance on another team's logo by mocking one of their players at the end of a game. Also huge difference in showing disrespect to 1 player but when you do it at midfield on the logo your showing it to the entire team. Remember TO doing his little thing on the Dallas star a few years ago.

Also Belichick had the reputation of not being "classy" way before this game. Obviously Ive never met him face to face and I cant for sure without a doubt say he is or isnt.... but ill go as far as to say there are a lot more "classy" coaches in the NFL than he is.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 04:56 AM)

He was called not classy LONG before LT said anything about him. In fact it started before he even worked on the Patriots staff.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well to be fair its a little bit different to do something like that during a game than it is for someone to dance on another team's logo by mocking one of their players at the end of a game. Also huge difference in showing disrespect to 1 player but when you do it at midfield on the logo your showing it to the entire team. Remember TO doing his little thing on the Dallas star a few years ago.

I just fail to see the difference between the two, nor do I see how Tomlinson can be angry when his own teammate does that to mock his opponents. To be fair, I think any celebration of any kind is rather disrespectful but when you're playing for a Super Bowl championship and in the NFL, you need to grow a sack on stop being such a poor sport. I really want to do some research into Tomlinson' pop warner, high school, and college career. He's never been one to speak out, he's pretty much been a mute, but I find that hard to believe after his display the last few days.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was called not classy LONG before LT said anything about him. In fact it started before he even worked on the Patriots staff.

All business-like coaches are viewed as not classy by the majority, it happens all the time. What is he not classy for? All I keep hearing is that he is or isn't classy, I'm trying to think of things that he's done that make him not classy. In one hand, I want to say that the whole Jets thing wasn't classy but in reality he never wanted to coach in New York and had been a target of the Patriots for years prior just as he had targeted them being the New England native that he is.

I guess deciding that he could do without Lawyer Milloy and Ty Law who have done pretty much nothing since they departed and were going to make record money at there respective position are the things you're referring to.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
I just fail to see the difference between the two, nor do I see how Tomlinson can be angry when his own teammate does that to mock his opponents. To be fair, I think any celebration of any kind is rather disrespectful but when you're playing for a Super Bowl championship and in the NFL, you need to grow a sack on stop being such a poor sport. I really want to do some research into Tomlinson' pop warner, high school, and college career. He's never been one to speak out, he's pretty much been a mute, but I find that hard to believe after his display the last few days.

That is the first time I think LdT has ever trash talked of any form in his life with negative connotations.

Belichick, while a football genius, is an asshole. There's no real way around it.

(and I will forever call him LdT, because players can't just take nicknames of past greats. I don't call Ivan Rodriguez "Pudge" anymore either. That's more disrespectful to Carlton Fisk and Lawrence Taylor than celebrating after a big moment in a game, because it's almost as if you are forgetting two of the best to ever play at their position)

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
How is he an asshole? Again, people say he's this and say he's that but provide no information to clarify how or why they think what they think.

even if someone posted quotes and stories from years past is it really going to change YOUR opinion?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
It's self assuring to know that you've criticized him all this time and have nothing of importance to say on the matter. Case closed with you.

When did I do that? And what case exactly was I arguing? Maybe you should read the thread before making accusations. I asked you a simple question, would anything that anyone posted regarding the negative actions of Belichick change YOUR mind on him at all?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty sure this was posted already, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick#Criticisms

The Tomlinson thing I've already dismissed as has everyone. The photographer incident he apologized for. I don't really consider those two things incidents.

As for his attire, I couldn't care less about it. The sleeveless sweatshirts are a bit much, but I was a fan of some the fashion stunts he's pulled, most notably the challenge flag buried in his sock.

The Tom Jackson thing I've never heard much about. If somebody said that everybody hated me and then tried to shake my hand as if nothing had occurred a couple months before, I'd react in the same manner, afterall that was how my first suspension occurred.

I don't know about those criticisms, all seem rather ridiculous if you ask me, but I hated Phil Jackson for solely contending with Red and even though I didn't go to the extremes some here have gone too to turn him into this classless human being, I can see why some of you have.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
The Tomlinson thing I've already dismissed as has everyone. The photographer incident he apologized for. I don't really consider those two things incidents.

As for his attire, I couldn't care less about it. The sleeveless sweatshirts are a bit much, but I was a fan of some the fashion stunts he's pulled, most notably the challenge flag buried in his sock.

The Tom Jackson thing I've never heard much about. If somebody said that everybody hated me and then tried to shake my hand as if nothing had occurred a couple months before, I'd react in the same manner, afterall that was how my first suspension occurred.

I don't know about those criticisms, all seem rather ridiculous if you ask me, but I hated Phil Jackson for solely contending with Red and even though I didn't go to the extremes some here have gone too to turn him into this classless human being, I can see why some of you have.

He also has been named in a divorce case in Boston for having a long term affair with a married woman.

Also he is criticized a ton for his actions regarding the injured list prior to game days.

He also took alot of flak for the way he treated Bernie Kosar in Cle. Also for the way he resigned from the Jets while he was still under contract, writing his resignation on a scratch piece of paper by hand right before the press conference.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When did I do that? And what case exactly was I arguing? Maybe you should read the thread before making accusations. I asked you a simple question, would anything that anyone posted regarding the negative actions of Belichick change YOUR mind on him at all?

If they are legit reasons, of course. Just as if somebody comes to me and tells me why they think the Matsuzaka signing sucks, I'm going to listen and try and argue my points to counter, that is until it turns into a pissing match.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He also has been named in a divorce case in Boston for having a long term affair with a married woman.

His son was arrested for pot the other day too. We should hang him.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
His son was arrested for pot the other day too. We should hang him.

See there you go. Who ever said hang him? Take the information and either agree or disagree, why react by commenting like that? Some people would say having an affair with someone who is married is classless and wrong. Some people dont.

It is classless and wrong and something I would never do. Why would you even consider bringing the LT crying or the camera man pushing, when anybody in the right state of mind would agree with you that having an affair is wrong.

It's classless and wrong, infact I hated all that stuff, it's the LT pissing and moaning that I've defended him for.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 03:21 PM)
It is classless and wrong and something I would never do. Why would you even consider bringing the LT crying or the camera man pushing, when anybody in the right state of mind would agree with you that having an affair is wrong.

It's classless and wrong, infact I hated all that stuff, it's the LT pissing and moaning that I've defended him for.

As far as I can tell, LdT was only referring to the Patriots players acting like douchebags, and then he said maybe they get it from their coach. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Also, in my mind, the difference between the Bears doing the fade-away jump dance of the Giants, and the Patriots doing the lights out dance of Merriman is that the Bears did it in the regular season, whereas the Pats did it in the playoffs. It's that simple. There's a line in Major League about not celebrating in front of someone who has died and gone back down to the minors. I think that fits extremely well in this situation, except instead of going to the minors, they get to sit on their couches. The Giants had another game the next week.

Mocking celebrations in all regards are disrespectful, but sportsmanship has to be shown in the playoffs, moreso than in the regular season. I'd have to believe that's why it's pissing so many people off.

Not sure if it was brought up in here or not, but if I hear that the Saints are 'America's team' one more time, I want to scream! Does anyone outside of NO, other than the damn media and fantasy football owners, really give a flying f*** about the Saints? Americ's team my ass. Give it a rest, media. Quit trying to manufacture a great story. What will they come up with if the Bears kick 'America's Team's" ass?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)
I

There has been talk about an MLB network. I mean the possibilities are endless with classic games and off season stuff to fill time. I'm sure we'd get Yankee games up the ying yang.