Official NFL Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Vick pulled a Sean Williams.

Rotoworld:

Michael Vick had his Aquafina water bottle seized at Miami International Airport on Wednesday morning because of suspicion that it contained marijuana.

Airport security grew suspicious when Vick hesitated to surrender the bottle. He eventually threw it in a trash can. A screener grabbed it out of the trash and contacted police, who said they found a dark residue inside the bottle that was giving off a "pungent odor of marijuana." The bottle was also divided into two compartments with a plastic piece in the middle. Vick could be charged if the bottle tests positive for drugs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)
I already burned the Bears/SHawks game on a DVD but I'm doing the NFL Replay as well, the extra content is just outstanding, I love the NFL Films sideline audio.

Don't care too much for replay, but I love the game of the week. Just the highlights with sideline and locker room audio. BTW I think they are showing the Bears friday.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
It is classless and wrong and something I would never do. Why would you even consider bringing the LT crying or the camera man pushing, when anybody in the right state of mind would agree with you that having an affair is wrong.

It's classless and wrong, infact I hated all that stuff, it's the LT pissing and moaning that I've defended him for.

You know, I can let Belichick off the hook as far as the affair was concerned. Perhaps he had somewhat of a falling out with his wife. I mean, dude was pushing 50 when the affair started.

But you know what I can't forgive?

Belichick is well known as a fan of the rock band Bon Jovi

I don't care about Belli being an ass. Weiss is an ass too, but I love him as a coach (he's a brilliant offensive mind) just like Belli is a brilliant football mind and he's proven himself to be one of the all time great coaches (winning 3 super bowls does that).

Lovie is a guy that you can like because of his personality but in the end as long as guys aren't comitting crimes (neither Weiss or Belli are doing that) I will support and love any excellent coach and Lovie has a chance at being an excellent coach and a loveable coach. However, there is no way If I'm building a franchise that I choose anyone but Belli to be my head coach.

Hopefully a few years from now I'll be calling Lovie and outstanding coach (heck maybe even this off-season, LOL, because in the end you need rings to be an excellent coach, imo).

For me it comes down to the Bears ability to stop the Saints run. They're going to put it inside with Deuce, and then let Reggie work his magic on the outside.

But then the Bears CB's can't lay a goose egg like they did last season, and let Drew Brees have a field day. Charles Tillman needs to play well against Colston, and the Bears need to generate a pass rush on Brees, but it isn't easy because he doesn't take 7 steps back from center.

Sean Payton has a knack of throwing in trick plays when you least expect it, e.g a WR reverse on a 4th and 2, so the Bears need to watch out for things like that.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
Only one guy out of like 6 is picking us over at CNNSI.com. Everywhere I look people are taking the Saints. It's quite sad.

This is how it ALWAYS happens when you put a dominant defense up against a dominant offense. The sportwriter people jump at the offense; it's just damn sexy. Then, just as with every other playoff game, it will wind up being won by whichever defense plays better.

My favorite example of this was the Tampa Bay/Oakland Super Bowl a few years ago. Every freaking sportwriter, along with most of the gambling world, was in love with Oakland's # 1 offense. How could Brad freaking Johnson win a Super Bowl right? Well, then Tampa bay's #1 defense came out and destroyed them. At the end of that game they told us that a top 5 offense had met a top 5 defense in the Super Bowl something like 7 times, and the top defense had won 6 of those.

Offense seduces sportwriters. Defense wins championships. The only question is whether or not the Bears will remember that they have some Balls on defense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
With the money the Cubs threw at him, that's hard to disagree with.

But anyway, does anyone else have a feeling he'll be in the NFL within a few years anyway? (Drew Henson)

I agree, but he'd also get a similar signing bonus as a probable first round draft choice in the NFL. However, if he pans out in baseball he'll have a healthier life (as major league baseball players, that are non catchers, typically take less of a beating than NFL players) and would make a lot more money.

Heck, I wonder if this crazy off-season, where mediocre starters got 8-10 million per year (long term) had any effect on his future.

Oh and Bruce Levine in his update apparently said that he would be in the Cubs rotation by 08. Imo, thats pretty ballsy considering that while this guy has good raw tools, he is over-rated and overhyped as a prospect (mainly because of his success as a 2 sport star and the contract he signed). Plus you have to factor in that for a college pitcher he's still very raw because he had to split time with football.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
Isnt Samadja (whatev) projected to be a bullpen guy at best?

No, he has the tools and arm to be at least a middle of the rotation starter if he pans out. His secondary stuff is still pretty raw, but he has a really good fastball and his frame screams of someone that should be pretty durable.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
My thoughts are that Peanut Tillman, Alex Brown, and Cedric Benson are the three most important players going into the game on sunday. If they all play well, the bears should win.

If Ron Turner realizes who the better running back is, then I agree that Benson should be pretty important. If it's like last weekend, where he had about four touches going into the fourth quarter, than we might be looking at trouble offensively.