Official NFL Thread

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
Turner has been f***ing awful about the last 5 weeks. I also want to know where Benson was. Jones wasn't doing s*** against the stud Viking run defense while Benson was kicking ass. Benson is our best back and I've been saying that for a couple weeks.

More Benson...less Rex (no not benched, but better play calling cause the s*** we are calling is absolutely awful) ...similar dose of Thomas Jones.

I agree 100 percent. Benson was averaging over 5 yeards per carry, and basically was getting at least 4 yards with no hole, yet Jones comes back in to dance behind the O-line. Turner is the one who is calling the slow developing routes, with the only check down the RB coming out of the backfield for 2 yards. I am so surprised in a city who runs O-coordinators out of town on a regular basis, that nobody has pointed the finger as his horrendous play calling the last several games. Also, the WR's are running terrible routes from what I see and havent made as much of an effort to make the play.

Rex made one horrible throw today because he didnt see the LB, but the other two picks werent as bad as people are making them out to be. Also he did a good job checking down several times, but the only option on those plays were crap passes for 3 yards. When you play a team like the Vikes you have to attack the seams, and we didnt do that at all.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
Today wasn't all Rex's fault, as the moron that is Ron Turner was pathetic....but Rex was just as pathetic. And they are going to stick with Rex it seems like, so when they lose their first playoff game again, be depressed, but don't be surprised.

Unless Tom Brady becomes available via trade, we are better off with what we have. Griese is a back up QB in the NFL for a reason.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
Unless Tom Brady becomes available via trade, we are better off with what we have. Griese is a back up QB in the NFL for a reason.

He also had a higher QB rating in a lot of action for Denver in his career than JOHN ELWAY for a reason. He's not great, but he's the only hope if the Bears want any shot at Miami.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
He also had a higher QB rating in a lot of action for Denver in his career than JOHN ELWAY for a reason. He's not great, but he's the only hope if the Bears want any shot at Miami.

Please stop. Dont compare an avg QB to a hall of famer. Griese had ONE good season and thats what you are basing this on? (and when I say good, I mean good, it doesn even touch Elway) Come on, take your head out of the clouds and dont compare the two ever again.

Rex is the QB, he has more talent than Griese and is a team leader. Everyone needs to find another outlet for the b****ing about the NFC North Division Champion Chicago Bears.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)
If hes so great, how come nobody else wanted him to be their star QB?

Rex is the QB, he has more talent than Griese and is a team leader. Everyone needs to find another outlet for the b****ing about the NFC North Division Champion Chicago Bears.

If you think this team can win a playoff game, let alone the Super Bowl, with Rex at QB.....your not watching the games. This quote really says it all to me:

"Holding him to 34 [passing yards], 24 net, that's the type of game we should hold a quarterback like that to."

—Vikings' safety Darren Sharper

Although surprisingly candid, it's right.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
If you think this team can win a playoff game, let alone the Super Bowl, with Rex at QB.....your not watching the games. This quote really says it all to me:

"Holding him to 34 [passing yards], 24 net, that's the type of game we should hold a quarterback like that to."

34 f***ing yards against the 31st pass D... :huh:

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)

And yet they lost. How did "best game managing qb in the NFL" Brad Johnson do on that field today?

Take a quick look at some of the recent teams to win a superbowl, and who was the QB. How about the Champs who had GREAT defenses like the bears do? Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Big Ben. They have a chance to not only make the superbowl, but win it as well. Apparently you havent taken a look at the NFC teams in the playoffs and how mediocre all of their QB's are.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
And yet they lost. How did "best game managing qb in the NFL" Brad Johnson do on that field today?

Take a quick look at some of the recent teams to win a superbowl, and who was the QB. How about the Champs who had GREAT defenses like the bears do? Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Big Ben. They have a chance to not only make the superbowl, but win it as well. Apparently you havent taken a look at the NFC teams in the playoffs and how mediocre all of their QB's are.

If Rex can play like those QB's we can definitely win it all. The things those QB's didn't do that Rex does is turn the ball over. All he has to do is protect the God damn ball and we are good to go.

If he goes out there and has one of his 4 turnover spectaculars we are in trouble.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)

But the other side of the token is...what is the one thing that always, always seems to kill teams in the playoffs? Turnovers.

I still think the Bears can win in the playoffs with Grossman at QB, but they can't if he keeps playing like this. You can't turn the ball over 2+ times every game and expect to win in the playoffs. You just can't.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:48 PM)
Please stop. Dont compare an avg QB to a hall of famer. Griese had ONE good season and thats what you are basing this on? (and when I say good, I mean good, it doesn even touch Elway) Come on, take your head out of the clouds and dont compare the two ever again.

I agree. Rex has done a lot but that deep ball that the pick was thrown in floated up in the wind...end of story. It was a fine read, the only bad read was the one where the LB snuck behind the ref and than came out (Rex obviously didn't see him and that was his mistake).

The play calling is terrible and our lack of talent at the WR position (I think we have some guys with talent, but they aren't NFL WR's right now at least not top notch ones) is coming into effect. I also think we've had absolutely zero production out of the TE because we've turned to an all or nothing offense thanks to the ridiculous ass play calling from Turner.

I'd like to see a lot more quick developing routes when our QB is getting 3 guys in his face every time he snaps the ball (and that was the case throughout the game) and will be the case since teams are trying to force turnovers. But instead Turner continues to call plays that take a while to develop even though we are getting blitzed numerous times all game (and have been for a few games and will continue to do). Lets make some f***ing adjustments and start calling a more balanced game. Where are the crossing patterns that worked so well for most of the season, the posts patterns, the button hooks...where has all of that gone.

More importantly where are plays where our RB blocks and than goes through the line to drift as a secondary option or just a plain and simple screen pass.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:59 PM)
If Rex can play like those QB's we can definitely win it all. The things those QB's didn't do that Rex does is turn the ball over. All he has to do is protect the God damn ball and we are good to go.

If he goes out there and has one of his 4 turnover spectaculars we are in trouble.

No if we have an OC who continues to call for passing patterns where we have no options aside from heaving the ball 40 yards or going to some stupid little pass to Jones who is never open (not a designed screen play just a play where he is a secondary option in the flat thats poorly written up since he's the only receiver even in the area so we really haven't overloaded or anything) in a game with s*** passing conditions...than we'll be in trouble.

Turner needs to get his head out of his ass and quickly.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)
No if we have an OC who continues to call for passing patterns where we have no options aside from heaving the ball 40 yards or going to some stupid little pass to Jones who is never open (not a designed screen play just a play where he is a secondary option in the flat thats poorly written up since he's the only receiver even in the area so we really haven't overloaded or anything) in a game with s*** passing conditions...than we'll be in trouble.

Turner needs to get his head out of his ass and quickly.

I understand that Ron Turner sucks but honestly you make it sound like Rex has been doing nothing wrong. The dude turns the ball over at obscene rates.

From the Arizona game till now he has averaged 2 picks per game.

If Grossman could stop forcing the f***ing ball and limit turnovers we would be in fine shape, but when you continually give the other team the ball and botch scoring opportunities you are in trouble.

Bears fans, or at least my, expectations for Rex are ridiculously low. There is 1 goal: Don't turn the damn ball over. And he can't even meet that.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
But the other side of the token is...what is the one thing that always, always seems to kill teams in the playoffs? Turnovers.

I still think the Bears can win in the playoffs with Grossman at QB, but they can't if he keeps playing like this. You can't turn the ball over 2+ times every game and expect to win in the playoffs. You just can't.

True. turnovers will kill a team, but at the same time, our defense creates more turnovers than anyone. Rex will settle down, as I didnt think that today was all his fault, playing in that weather is hell on a QB, and you could tell that the WR's were not doing much to help him out at all.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
I understand that Ron Turner sucks but honestly you make it sound like Rex has been doing nothing wrong. The dude turns the ball over at obscene rates.

From the Arizona game till now he has averaged 2 picks per game.

If Grossman could stop forcing the f***ing ball and limit turnovers we would be in fine shape, but when you continually give the other team the ball and botch scoring opportunities you are in trouble.

Bears fans, or at least my, expectations for Rex are ridiculously low. There is 1 goal: Don't turn the damn ball over. And he can't even meet that.

Rex just isnt that type of QB, and he may learn to be more conservative, but its not his nature.

Turner hasnt adjusted his play calling the least several weeks. At the beginning of the season we were dropping long pass plays on defenses at a ridiculous rate. Defenses adjusted and started bringing the pressure to give Rex less time to throw. At that point, Turner should have adjusted his game plan to allow for more quick drops and passes into the middle of the field, to the TE and crossing WR's. Yet he is still calling double moves, long passes and long drops by Rex. Rex has made some bad throws and reads, but at the same time, I blame Turner for not putting him in a postion to succeed.

After Grossman's performance today I'm resigned to our fate with him at the helm. What mertis Grossman's removal (even temporarily) if not for the last several weeks? Whether we're winning a Superbowl or exiting the first wrong, he'll likely remain the Bears' quarterback.

I'm past the point where listening to people continually defend Grossman is funny. It has becoming downright annoying. If we're losing in the playoffs, and Grossman provides another turnover fest, there will be no more excuses. No one else to blame. At which point, Angelo can draft a quarterback early. In fact, he should do it every year until he gets it right.

I don't even want to hear Turner's name mentioned anymore. Offensive coordinators work off their quarterback's abilities, not the other way around. Don't you people believe he would have enough sense -- considering he'll be let go before Grossman -- to structure new schemes if he believed the ones in place weren't working? Cmon, now. Grossman has limited mobility, trouble hitting receivers moving towards the sidelines, and this need to continually throw off his back foot. The latter is a mechanical issue which only he was fix.

What I've noticed continually is people don't seem to hold Grossman's performance on it's on stature, but rather, compare it to the opposing quarterback. Such as, "Well, Grossman throw several INT's, but Brady didn't exact do well." Or, "you think Grossman did bad, look at Johnson." I don't see exactly what this argument accomplishes, other than pointing out how our top rated defense compares with another teams. Grossman, comparatively, struggles against defenses who are both strong and weak against the pass. Maybe the overriding connection among these performances is he's, well, not that good. Maybe NFL defenses have found out its easy to force him into making poor decision.

I'm interested in having Griese start a game or two (depending on home field advantage), but only to rest Grossman's troubled little mind. When he plays in the playoffs, I don't want one f***ing excuse to justify his troubles. If one embarrassing game against Carolina influenced Angelo to address our cornerback concerns, it should hold true to Grossman as well.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

with the playoff spot locked up, we might as well let grossman figure it out, because now he really can't hurt us

if we are committed to having him as our quarterback why would we bail out on him now? we all know he has a potential to be great, so I think he can turn it around

if he keeps playing like this come playoff time, then put in griese (who I doubt would be better than orton)

on another note, I'm pretty interested in Tony Romo. Espn seems to be drooling over him right now, calling the cowboys NFC favorites, but I'll be shocked if he doesn't struggle later on in the year

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
After Grossman's performance today I'm resigned to our fate with him at the helm. What mertis Grossman's removal (even temporarily) if not for the last several weeks? Whether we're winning a Superbowl or exiting the first wrong, he'll likely remain the Bears' quarterback.

I'm past the point where listening to people continually defend Grossman is funny. It has becoming downright annoying. If we're losing in the playoffs, and Grossman provides another turnover fest, there will be no more excuses. No one else to blame. At which point, Angelo can draft a quarterback early. In fact, he should do it every year until he gets it right.

I don't even want to hear Turner's name mentioned anymore. Offensive coordinators work off their quarterback's abilities, not the other way around. Don't you people believe he would have enough sense -- considering he'll be let go before Grossman -- to structure new schemes if he believed the ones in place weren't working? Cmon, now. Grossman has limited mobility, trouble hitting receivers moving towards the sidelines, and this need to continually throw off his back foot. The latter is a mechanical issue which only he was fix.

What I've noticed continually is people don't seem to hold Grossman's performance on it's on stature, but rather, compare it to the opposing quarterback. Such as, "Well, Grossman throw several INT's, but Brady didn't exact do well." Or, "you think Grossman did bad, look at Johnson." I don't see exactly what this argument accomplishes, other than pointing out how our top rated defense compares with another teams. Grossman, comparatively, struggles against defenses who are both strong and weak against the pass. Maybe the overriding connection among these performances is he's, well, not that good. Maybe NFL defenses have found out its easy to force him into making poor decision.

I'm interested in having Griese start a game or two (depending on home field advantage), but only to rest Grossman's troubled little mind. When he plays in the playoffs, I don't want one f***ing excuse to justify his troubles. If one embarrassing game against Carolina influenced Angelo to address our cornerback concerns, it should hold true to Grossman as well.

Ron Turner sucks and hasnt put his players in the correct position to succeed in the last several weeks. There his name was mentioned, and for good reason.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
with the playoff spot locked up, we might as well let grossman figure it out, because now he really can't hurt us

if we are committed to having him as our quarterback why would we bail out on him now? we all know he has a potential to be great, so I think he can turn it around

if he keeps playing like this come playoff time, then put in griese (who I doubt would be better than orton)

on another note, I'm pretty interested in Tony Romo. Espn seems to be drooling over him right now, calling the cowboys NFC favorites, but I'll be shocked if he doesn't struggle later on in the year

He had a pretty rough outing against the Giants.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
He had a pretty rough outing against the Giants.

Didn't have a good start, but he had a very good 2nd half.

Plus the Giants were always going to come out desperate, and Giants Stadium ain't exactly the easiest place for a QB to play well, with all of the wind and everything.

So I was happy he put us in the position to win, which is all we can ask for.

Certainly looks better than Rex though.

On another note, the Cowboys vs. Saints game next week should be a doozy. Parcells vs. Payton. Both teams could get over 30 points in this one.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)

the best thing about tony romo is that he's managed to stem the tide of terrell owens' stories emanating from valley ranch/espn.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
The Cowboys have definitely become the most overrated team in the NFL.

Thats how the media is. Every week they go to new extremes andtry to make new sexy picks for everyone to salivate over. When Romo finally comes back to Earth it will be funny listening to what ESPN says then. Look at Rex in the beginning of the year.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
Thats how the media is. Every week they go to new extremes andtry to make new sexy picks for everyone to salivate over. When Romo finally comes back to Earth it will be funny listening to what ESPN says then. Look at Rex in the beginning of the year.

exactly I remember when the bears were 5-0 an Grossman was the king of chicago

right now Romo is on top of the world, and I can't wait until he hits a rough patch and loses a couple

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)

Romo also has a few more weapons than Grossman does.

not doubting he'll come down, but when he does, I doubt it's nearly as hard as Grossman's fall.