Official NFL Thread

Defense looked like piss but right now I couldn't be more happy for Rex Grossman. He's probably the single Bear that I've pulled the hardest far to succeed over all the years I've watched Bears football.

Rex...just know that I still believe and I want to see a lot more of the Rex I saw tonight and early on in the season.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defensive performance is really concerning, but other than that, I didn't see too much I didn't expect. I am concerned still about Rex, with the competition, he could easily go into the playoffs with 4 straight good games and a bye.....but I still don't trust him for s*** against real defenses. Nice to see him bounce back tonight though.

I'm not overly concerned about the defense. I'd say for about the last 20-25 minutes of the game, the Bears were pretty much only rushing their front three or four and were more or less sitting back in a prevent defense, although they were looking to take off some heads in the second half too.

I'm also glad to see that Cedric is getting more carries. He's really tough to take down, and it's going to be nice having two above average running backs heading into the cold January weather. Hell, AP even had himself a game; you could use him as a situational third down back, as he can catch the ball out of the backfield, run the draw, and block.

BTW -- this fanboy approves of #8's performance tonight.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)
I'm not overly concerned about the defense. I'd say for about the last 20-25 minutes of the game, the Bears were pretty much only rushing their front three or four and were more or less sitting back in a prevent defense, although they were looking to take off some heads in the second half too.

I for one am overly concerned about the defense. They're banged up and missing 2 key pieces of the defense in Harris and Brown for the rest of the year. That's a potential weakness that teams can exploit come playoff time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
I for one am overly concerned about the defense. They're banged up and missing 2 key pieces of the defense in Harris and Brown for the rest of the year. That's a potential weakness that teams can exploit come playoff time.

Mike Brown has been out for awhile now and he is always injured it seems so I wasn't 2 worried about our D coping without him. Its the loss of Tommie Harris that has got me worried.... but im not using that Rams game as a judgement on the D.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
Mike Brown has been out for awhile now and he is always injured it seems so I wasn't 2 worried about our D coping without him. Its the loss of Tommie Harris that has got me worried.... but im not using that Rams game as a judgement on the D.

Yea, he is always injured, and yea they have depth behind him this year, but that doesn't mean his loss doesn't hurt.

If the Bears went into the playoffs with their full lineup on defense, I don't see how anyone would have a shot. But these injuries have opened up some holes, esp. for teams that can run.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
The Bears need to address some DB's in the upcoming draft because of Mike Brown. We have some good late round talent who are filling in, but it would be nice to have a serious shut down corner or an extremely talented safety.

We have 3 CB's that could start for almost every team in the NFL, and Hester is still there as a project. I wouldnt mind us taking a safety though because of MB.

Rotoworld:

Reports out of Chicago suggest that the Bears could be on the verge of a full-fledged carry split in their backfield, because the plan was apparently to get Cedric Benson 15-17 carries Monday night even before Thomas Jones went down with an ankle injury. Regardless of how the coaching staff chooses to word the situation, Benson getting 15-plus touches means they're splitting carries unless the Bears plan to start running the option to really cut down on Rex Grossman's turnovers.

Jones received 20-plus carries in five straight games before being shut down against the Vikings' ridiculously good rush defense in Week 13 and was running very well before leaving Monday night. However, it's clear that the team's confidence in Benson is finally growing. He's received 10, 10, 9, and 16 carries over the past four games, rushing for 5.1, 4.6, 6.7, and 4.0 yards per carry over that stretch while finding the end zone twice.

It seems somewhat obvious now that Benson will take over for Jones as the starter next season, which is over a year later than was probably expected when he Chicago used the fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft on him. However, lost in that eventuality is that Benson may very well work his way into a job-sharing arrangement down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Jones has played well this season, but if the Bears feel Benson is ready to take over the job they likely won't hesitate to slide Jones into a more typical third-down role. There's a lot of speculation within that scenario at this point, but with little playoff ramifications left to play for it'll be interesting to see how the carries shake out. My guess is that Benson will get more work than most people think.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Benson is a wonderful switch-up from Jones, and there's no reason not to make use of both of them every game unless one of them matches up particularly poorly (usually, that would be Jones against a speed team). Especially if it puts the ball on the ground more.

Agreed. I thought it was noteworthy, though.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
We have 3 CB's that could start for almost every team in the NFL, and Hester is still there as a project. I wouldnt mind us taking a safety though because of MB.

I would agree with you that our CB's are pretty decent. Hester shouldnt see the field in that position IMO. And I would really like another big Corner with shut down abilities. Either way, a safety should be something that we look at.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
I am a huge Benson fan and I love seeing him carry the ball.

he seems to be catching on in the NFL schemes, and I would like to see more touches for him. Jones is hurt AGAIN and its just about time to deal him or give him up. Benson should start next year with Peterson the 3rd down back. I would be perfectly happy with that.

I really wish some of these guys could put their pride in their back pocket for just a little bit and do what's best for the team. I think it's in the best interests of everybody if Benson and Jones getting ~15-18 touches a piece, with Peterson getting ~2-3 per game. I guess I'm just hoping that Jones handles this well enough...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
I would agree with you that our CB's are pretty decent. Hester shouldnt see the field in that position IMO. And I would really like another big Corner with shut down abilities. Either way, a safety should be something that we look at.

he seems to be catching on in the NFL schemes, and I would like to see more touches for him. Jones is hurt AGAIN and its just about time to deal him or give him up. Benson should start next year with Peterson the 3rd down back. I would be perfectly happy with that.

A shutdown corner is a nice thought and all but that just isnt going to happen late in the first round, well it can but it shouldnt be expected and you wont be able to draft a CB like Pacman Jones etc. And than to add that with our 3 pretty good CB's we have now and none of them are really old I just dont see it as a position of need. Hester is a project but he could eventually become a really good corner, but still at best he will be 4th on the depth chart next season anyways.

And I agree with everyone else on Benson, to me he is just a better back than TJ this season and not much more to say about it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
Marion Barber. :notworthy

Didn't play well tonight, especially defensively, but the offense and Romo bounced back well, and it was a good comeback win.

It's scary that Barber was the 2nd best back on his COLLEGE team. I wonder if he'll ever take Julius' job. Your defense is a concern though, they didn't look too good again.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 02:35 AM)
It's scary that Barber was the 2nd best back on his COLLEGE team. I wonder if he'll ever take Julius' job. Your defense is a concern though, they didn't look too good again.

He honestly deserves to be the feature back over Jones, but I can see why they are doing what they're doing. They want to keep Barber fresh for the 2nd half so he can just run over defenders. Pound for pound, I don't know if there's a harder runner than he is, he never gives up on any run.

Defensively the lack of a pass rush besides Ware is killing us, but also the lack of a quality coverage FS (hence teams are attacking Roy Williams over the deep middle) and Anthony Henry had a real bad day.

Jason Hatcher came into the lineup over Marcus Spears (bust) though, and gave us something on the pass rush.

And not a great day for the Bears even though you pulled out the win.